Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a set of cobra speedster longs and was wondering do i need to re-tune the motor/EFI on my 900 classic for these pipes or are they plug and play.. Cant really afford a tuner at the moment so hoping for the best!!??

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
You will be fine with just the pipes. It might backfire a little bit, but it won't hurt anything. All you are doing with the pipes is getting the exhaust out easier, nothing about your air/fuel ratio changes.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
You will be fine with just the pipes. It might backfire a little bit, but it won't hurt anything. All you are doing with the pipes is getting the exhaust out easier, nothing about your air/fuel ratio changes.
Agree with Hayes. Until you decide to add an air intake system, you won't need to invest in a fuel mgmt. system. When that day comes get both so you won't have to worry about running lean.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Got around 10k miles on my Cobras without a processor. A month or so after adding them, I switched to the quiet core baffles because they were just too loud. That seemed to help the bike run a little better and not smell like gas constantly. About 2-3k miles ago I switched to a K&N filter, still no issues.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It WILL run leaner, but probably not so much that the bike will run poorly (every bike is different). Generally, with pipes and a stock intake, you can get away without a tuner.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feedback, much appreciated guys! I already have a K&N filter, so i'm good there and i plan to keep the louder baffles for now as while i live in a very motorcycle aware town I want to be heard!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Great feedback, much appreciated guys! I already have a K&N filter, so i'm good there and i plan to keep the louder baffles for now as while i live in a very motorcycle aware town I want to be heard!
I would plug the hose going up to the PAIR solenoid valve and that will cut out a lot of the decel popping you will experience with your new pipes. If you do a search for "marbling" on this site you will find a lot of info. In short, there's a hose coming off of the back of your air cleaner going UP to the PAIR solenoid which is on the right side of the backbone directly under the tank. A marble or an electrician's wirenut will plug it perfectly. Replace the hose onto the air cleaner housing when you're done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I see threads like this here a lot and I want to chime in.

I'm running hard krome pipes with a cone filter/air cleaner, zero done to modify fueling, get some popping on decel but have been averaging 48-54mpg for the last 6k miles, no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
There's a pretty good video on you tube about marbling. Search 900 vulcan marbling. Agree with new exhaust gaskets. I like my cobra long shots.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I see threads like this here a lot and I want to chime in.

I'm running hard krome pipes with a cone filter/air cleaner, zero done to modify fueling, get some popping on decel but have been averaging 48-54mpg for the last 6k miles, no issues.
To get the best out of the hard earned cash you spent for pipes and air cleaner, a fuel processor is essential. Glad to hear no issues, no flat spots, no surging anywhere in the power band. Keep an eye on your plugs. They are the tell-tale of an engine running too lean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To get the best out of the hard earned cash you spent for pipes and air cleaner, a fuel processor is essential. Glad to hear no issues, no flat spots, no surging anywhere in the power band. Keep an eye on your plugs. They are the tell-tale of an engine running too lean.
Bike rides buttery smooth. I bought the bike modified this way and knowing bikes, I took the seat off and searched in the wiring for some type of powercommander or somethind but never found one. Seemd odd to me too.

Bike has always pulled hard and only throttle issue I ever had was when one of my under-tank LED's lost it's sticky-pad and fell down between my throttle body and held it damn near WOT on a highway off ramp.

Had to clean my shorts out after that little mishap!

Been considering the F2000i thing or whatever it is though... I don't want to fiddle, just want to plug and play, spend more time riding, less time tweaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts