Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a new white 2018 Vulcan S yesterday with 1 mile on it. I’m not new to scoots as I also own a Suzuki C 50 T Boulevard. I only was able to ride it home from the dealer, and it rained today. I spent most of today with the manual, and going over everything on the scoot.
Is there anything special to this scoot that I should be aware of? The manual says not to exceed 4000 RPM in any gear for the first 500 miles, and then not to exceed 6000 RPM in any gear for the next 500 miles for a total of 1000 mile break in period. Is that pretty much etched in stone? Also the manual states that the scoot should go back to the dealer for the first maintainance schedule at 600 miles, am I reading that correctly? Any tips, and advice on my new scoot will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
Paul

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new KVS!
As to your concerns, it all depends on how much you covet your warranty. If you have an extended plan or are concerned you'll have problems in the future, stick to the Kawasaki suggested info.
I kept my RPM's on the tame side for my break in period (with occasional bursts,Lol) Just because I really had no means or desire to drive crazy fast or wind the engine out. Some people swear to drive it like you stole it, but I kept it on the conservative side (my choice).
I only had a 1 year warranty on my bike, which goes fast when you can't ride it for half the year, so I never took it back to the dealer. There's a list on the 650 forums that states the 600 mile maintenance check items. If you usually work on your bike yourself, it can easily be done by you. My bike was out of warranty by the time I reached that mileage goal, so I did it myself.
(Plus, I've got one of those dealers, where the bike has the potential to come back from service, in worse condition than it went in.)
But, like I said. If you value your warranty, go to the dealer and follow Kawi's recommendations.
As for tips, this bike is notorious for a snatchy throttle and also likes to be kept higher in the RPM range than your C50 will be accustomed to. I didn't let mine drop below 3500 usually. On my older 800 cruiser, that would have been 1500. As for chain slack, I'd keep it around 25mm. Rather than the 10-20mm suggested in the manual, as I feel that's way too tight.
Good luck, have fun & ride safe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kawasaki had the same instructions for break-in procedure since the 1970s, for most if not all of their motorcycles. Keeping the revs under 4000 mean a Ninja 300 owner can only go up to 35 mph in sixth gear. Pretty hard to stay ahead of the traffic with this moped-like speed, even in town! I found it hard to keep my 2019 Vulcan S under 4000 rpm for the first 500 miles (53 mph on my GPS) as at 55 mph on local roads with a 55 mph limit, I was too slow for most drivers.

There are updated break-in instructions (August 30, 2018) from Kawasaki.

For motorcycles 400 cc or above: 4000 rpm max for the first 250 miles, 6000 rpm from 250 miles up to 400 miles, and ride moderately from 400 miles up to 600 miles. That's it. Kawasaki does not give any details about what they mean by "ride moderately". I guess if you don't ride "like you stole it", you are OK!

The updated break-in procedure should be in the owner manuals now. Kawasaki adds: "The new break-in procedure is retroactive to previous model years".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,
I just bought a new white 2018 Vulcan S yesterday with 1 mile on it. I’m not new to scoots as I also own a Suzuki C 50 T Boulevard. I only was able to ride it home from the dealer, and it rained today. I spent most of today with the manual, and going over everything on the scoot.
Is there anything special to this scoot that I should be aware of? The manual says not to exceed 4000 RPM in any gear for the first 500 miles, and then not to exceed 6000 RPM in any gear for the next 500 miles for a total of 1000 mile break in period. Is that pretty much etched in stone? Also the manual states that the scoot should go back to the dealer for the first maintainance schedule at 600 miles, am I reading that correctly? Any tips, and advice on my new scoot will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
Paul
Yes, you’re reading the manual correctly.
I bought my S toward the end of July this year and had the 600-mile check done a week ago at the dealership. I followed the directions in the manual [almost :)] and kept the RPMs under 4000 until after I hit 500 miles. The dealer adjusted a few things and changed the oil, which took less than 90 minutes. It cost me about $200 and was worth it to me. The professional mechanics are better at bike maintenance than I am.
Keeping the bike under 4000 rpm was easy for me, as my normal riding doesn’t take me on the freeway very often. At 4000 rpm in 6th gear, I can do 53 mph, and that’s more than I need to get around in the bike. I even did a few 50- to 60-mile rides at under 4000 rpm. So it’s not hard to follow Kawasaki’s recommendations. After I hit 500 miles, I felt free to hit the freeway, and I can easily do 75 mph at less than 6000 rpm. I cranked it it up to a bit more than 80 mph a few days ago, but I didn’t glance at the tach to check the rpms. It’ll do 80 a little too easily, and that’s a good thing because it means the bike has more than enough power for me. I have another 300-or-so miles to go before the break-in is complete. But at this point, it’s good enough for me, as I don’t normally ride at silly speeds and don’t get anywhere near the redline. I can do all I need with this bike at less than 6000 rpm.
The only things I need to do now are buy/install a Booster Plug to smooth out the snatchy throttle, add saddlebags, and get a Corbin seat. You may find that you’ll want to do the same things, especially when it comes to the throttle. I may get a windshield, but I can live without it, as the airflow at freeway speeds isn’t all that bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks ,
Paul
Hi Paul,

I bought mine at around 500 miles with the dealer service already done. I then spent the next 700 miles at or under 6000 RPM, admittedly I did blip her a few times but not for any extended period.
I did an oil and filter change myself at 1299 miles and still found a few metal shavings in the old oil. Nothing major but noticeable.
I have just changed the oil and filter again at 2359 miles and once more there were just a few flecks of metal.
I would respect the constraints that Kawasaki put on the bike if only for peace of mind.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I do!

cheers

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, she just turned 100 miles and I’ve been keeping her under 4000 rpm’s ( 54) mph. In fact I’m alternating my speed with 54 mph being the fastest. Even though I do my own oil and filter changes, I plan on taking her back to the dealer for the 600 mile check up, it just makes sense to me, hopefully they’ll go over the scoot pretty good.
Thanks Again,
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
The mechanic at the dealer where I bought my bike told me to forget all about breaking it in - he said I should ride it as I normally would, just avoid staying at the same RPM for long periods of time. I also saw a youtube video where a guy got 2 new engines from Honda, broke one down per instructions and rode the heck out the second one - then analyzed in a lab. Results didn't show any difference. I somewhat convinced that modern engines do not really require a break-in period... everyone should decide for themselves, of course.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks ,
Paul
Change the oil and filter after the 1000 mile break in. Always check that your coolant is on the high mark. Read the manual thoroughly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in europe and i bought a KVS brand new here. The guys over at the dealership told me to hold her under 4000 rpm for the first 300 km and under 6000 for another 700 km, and then bring her in for service and an oil change. since then, been riding her as i normally would. Further services at 6000 km, 12000 km, etc. That makes a break-in period of 1000 km instead of 1000 miles. However, Here we use 98 octane fuel. I don't know what octane index you have in the states.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts