Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it wrong to get off your bike at a stop light, walk up to the car in front of you, pick up the cigarette butt they just tossed on the road, and politely say, "I'm sorry. But I believe you dropped this." I had the urge to do that this morning.

I am not the super green, tree hugging, veggie eating type. I like steaks cooked rare. I really enjoy hunting fury animals on my farm. I drive a gas guziling Jeep when I am not on my 900. And I believe economic progress is often more important than saving a few lizards in the desert. But even I don't throw trash out on the highway. Why? Self respect. People who don't respect themselves are able to easily disrespect others. And disrespect includes littering. If you want to die slowly and painfully from lung cancer or enphazema, fine. Have at it. Just don't trash up this beautiful world the Lord has given us to enjoy.

Okay, I now step down from the soap box. Proceed with the throwing of insults and rotten produce. And yes, I know what opinions are like. I've got one too.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
All I can say is...

+1

well, ok, I'll say more... after living through "grass fire season" for 40+ years in Oklahoma, one starts to wonder how many of these as... err... BUTTS start those stupid fires with their BUTTS? The world isn't your trash can OR your ashtray.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Not wrong at all. I work with Clean Streams and it's a shame the amount of trash that gets tossed out the window. Butts are nasty trash, and they all end up in the stream at some time or other until they deteriorate. I would also like to add that this type of urge will also spill over to those kids who wear their pants down around their cheeks, so be careful to not give in to the urge or you could find yourself in some hot water :-D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not wrong at all. But now this days you never know who carries a gun in their vehicle and at the worng time and place this could be a very bad idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I cannot STAND that, people throwing stuff out their windows. On our way home yesterday from a 300 mile ride and the car in front of me going about 45 mph decides to pour out his (I hope) water. Needless to say I got a little wet and a lota mad. So when available I proceeded to pass him (now a 55 mph passing zone) and I spit my gum in his window :) he gave me a nice little gesture and I went on my way. (I do not condon this at all, but oh well)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that making a statement can get you shot at sometimes. I was feeling pretty safe this morning since it was a young woman (25?) in a little black VW Bug. I was doing my Terminator 2 impersonation with my leather biker jacket, fingerless riding gloves, and black wrap around specs. I probably would have scared her so bad that she would have gunned it and hit the truck in front of her.

Either that, or she would have done like another woman I told to slow down in a parking lot. She was doing 30mph+ past a McDonalds playhouse. When I yelled "slow down". She stopped and cussed me out. I then told her that I could tell she was a real high class woman. So she peeled off.

I know, I need to work on keeping my mouth shut.

S

·
0 Posts
I totally agree with "Jeep Pirate". I see people flick'n cigarette butts out on the street all the time. I am allergic to cigarette smoke so I am tortured on a daily basis. I didnt know I was allergic till I moved here in Oklahoma. I am from Sacramento where you cant smoke in restaurants, bars, comedy clubs, & so on... I moved to Oklahoma where it seems everyone I meet smokes. I cant even go to a bar to have a beer with some friends because of the smoke is so overwhelming.
Sorry to go a little off subject but cigarettes make me sick as hell! I just wish smokers understood that there are some people that cant be around the smoke.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I to agree with Jeep. But the fact of the matter is you can't control what other people do. In the past things like this really pi$$ed me off. And I would be in their fsce about it. Now I feel it aint worth getting upset. Some people will still be ignorant and they are not worth my time and energy to get upset over.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^^ First time I hear some one is alergic to cigarette smoke. Not criticizing you just saying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i agree for the most part...

littering is overrated at this day and age...so frustrating when you see some azzhat at a stoplight unwrap a pack of smokes and throw the wrappers out the window...or when some cracksmoker in the 86 corolla w $2k rims dirtbag kids are throwin mcdonalds garbage out the window...

yeah i call people out on that if i can...im far from PC...

tru on the gun carrying possibilities...im one of them...

...but seriously its so low class ignent to do that nowadays...

·
Registered
976 Posts
The world is a smokers ashtray. I don't think my parents ever used one except to hold their smoke when it wasn't in there mouth, therefore they rarely used it. Just another negative learning experience for me. Also answered my question of why my head always hurt, I had a stuffed nose and several other problems WHEN I MOVED OUT.

Walking through the smoking section will give me a headache till the Sinutab and Tylenol kick in, sometimes its go home and cover the head with a pillow time. And Cigar smoke, man I can't get that crap out of my nose for days. It's probably the same with cigarettes I'm just more used to it. Campfire smoke will get me too although I gotta tell ya, just a touch of hickory smoke makes me nothing but hungry. So I avoid any smoking environments and drive my kids crazy when they come home stinking. I tell them they can always leave OR get out of the stinky clothes, take a shower and get the clothes into the washing machine. I have some odor ban stuff that I can throw in there with it and they can't wash their clothes with mine. It's not like I have peanut allergies.

Look at any intersection. You could fill a 55 gallon drum with the butts. That's the lack of respect that has gotten smoking banned all over the place. It's bad because we're overriding peoples property rights because of it. And once the right limiters get a scent of control in their nose it's hard to get em to stop. They want to ban McD's, fast food, movie popcorn, Fun, Smiling, Sex, enjoyment, meat, Carbs.

And don't get me started on overly loud pipes......

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh, but getting off the bike? I've jsut gone over this in another forum. You have no authority other then citizens arrest and really, you gonna arrest someone for littering? Better have video proof. And there are just too many crazies out there. If you had an officer sitting right there with you and pointed it out and asked to press charges, maybe something would get done. But you never know whose packing and who would be justifiably scared enough to squeeze off a clip because some big biker approached them.

Just get away from the idiot if you can AND if you're me, be glad you won't have to smell the smoke coming from their vehicle. Ya, I've been know to pull over and wait for the breeze to clear the air. Seems like the world knows whose sensitive and will shove all the smokers around ya. It's weird, 1 in 10 smokes anymore yet it seems that 3/4 of the people on the highway are smokers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You're not going to catch any HEAT rounds from ME on the subject! I DESPISE disrespectful smokers!! One of the reasons why my beloved government is cracking down so hard on the butt-heads of the world is that they deserve it so richly - and I'm NO fan of "Big Government Anything."...well 'cept maybe the military... :cool:
My daughter is allergic to cigarette smoke BTW...so this medical phemon does exist.
If you want to shorten your life - and enrich the tax coffers while you're doing it - SOK by me. Have at it. Cigarettes are a legal product, and while I like the idea of LEOs kicking in the doors of meth labs and locking up pedophiles MUCH more than I like them having to hassle cretins who use my windshield (or worse) as their ashtrays...I'll not weep one little bit when (not if) all smoking in public is eventually banned. It will be really COOL to enter a building without having to navigate my way through a knot of smokers who don’t have the courtesy to foul the air AWAY from the front entrance!
It's a lot like the loud pipe/music debate. YOUR individual rights stop where the general public's rights start. As long as the shallow end of the gene pool is as crowded as it is, there will be enough antipathy towards those guys and gals to warrant public action - and this more often than not will manifest itself in more and more silly laws.

Like I said - I'm not going to shed one little tear for them. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mate I can understand your frustration. I am a bit of an odd ball because I am an Aussie, who doesn't smoke, rides a big bike and hates football and cricket almost as much as country music. Boofheads chucking stuff out of cars really gets up my nose. Once I had a rather elderly gentleman toss his lighted cigarette out the window into my lap at a set of lights. Picture a grown man suddenly jumping off his bike and jumping around patting his jatz crackers to put the thing out. Not a good look. I did catch up to him at the next set of lights just as they turned green and took his mirror off with my boot. It is all about common courtesy but Jesus wept some of the things I see would cause a saint to swear what with kids chucking take away wrappers and sometimes food at you as you pass, cigarette butts and other assorted weapons of mess ( not misspelt ) destruction I always carry a couple of wheel nuts in the pocket and there is nothing like the satisfaction of dropping one of these in front of a car that tailgates or tosses their litter over you, it causes such a noise under the car the look on the drivers face is priceless.

Stay upright and safe.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I was following a Mustang down a country road, in my hot rod Mustang several years ago. We stop at a 4 way stop and the passenger opens the door and sits down a KFC bag full of trash. After they pull away I pick it up, thinking I'll just toss it into my garbage at home. I turn onto my street and lo and behold there are the 2 girls in the Mustang about 4 house down from where I live. I never even thought about what harm could come, I pulled up in behind them, grabbed the bag and walked up to the 2 girls and what appeared to be one of their parents. I sat the bag on the hood of their car, said"I believe your passenger dropped this at the 4way stop", before any one could say any thing I turned and walked away, got in my Mustang and backed up and into my driveway. As I got out I saw the man walking towards me so I went into my garage where weapons were at easy reach. He never said a thing, walked right up to me and stuck out his empty right hand in a friendly gesture and said" Thank you for doing that, when you left our daughter was so embarrassed she started crying, bawling actually. I'm sure she'll think about this next time she decides to throw trash out."

·
Registered
976 Posts
Mate I can understand your frustration. I am a bit of an odd ball because I am an Aussie, who doesn't smoke, rides a big bike and hates football and cricket almost as much as country music.

Bob
Makes me laugh. I fly RC airplanes made of folded up signboard called Coroplast and once a year we have a big get together. This year I had two guys come, one from England over on the east side by the coast and the other from Australia, I don't know which part Dan is from. But they both said they could care less about what we call Soccer (they always referred to it as what we call so us poor Americans wouldn't get it confused with football) and Cricket which the Englishman flat out said he had NO idea about the sport, how to score it WHY to play it. The Aussie said he knew but wouldn't bring it up in polite society! He's a card that one.

I think it'd be like me going somewhere else and saying I don't know how to score bowling, which I used to but would have to work on it. I seem to remember it had something to do with the amount of beers consumed between rolls.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
TRUE STORY:

On my way to work I was behind a person. I was cruising happily along when an arm went out the window and a cigarette when flying through the air. The butt missed my head by about an inch (I had to duck AND swerve). I laid on my horn and shook my fist and continued following the person. This person (she) began to make the same turn offs as I, and, lo and behold, she drove right to my work. A couple of hours later, one of the secretaries walked out and came up to me..............She said....."was that you behind me this morning"?.........AND I QUOTE...."I'm so sorry, I didn't know it was you". I didn't know it was you......can you believe that? Meaning she would have chucked the butt anyway, but if she had of known it was me on the motorcycle, she wouldn't have. Well, the good thing was she never lived it down, her stupidity became legendary and she slipped quietly out the door one day and we never seen her again. I still shake my head at the mentality.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts