Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin nuvi I would like to put on the bike, has anyone tried this and had luck? If so, what mount did you use and did you wire it up inside the headlamp or to the fuse box?? Any help would be appreciated. I searched the threads and no info is showing.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
GPS fitting

Hi Kraig205,

I have a Tom-Tom Rider which came with a Handlebar Mount so can't help you with the Garmin however I wired mine back to the Headlight as there is an accessory termination in there just for this sort of thing!

Good Luck

HoraceG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kraig,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 750 for the car and I used it on the bike by tapping into the headlamp can wires with a cigarette lighter female socket. As a temporary try, I tie strapped the socket to my bars. A more permanent solution would be to get a waterproof socket and mount it with clamps. I have a Memphis shades windshield so I used the windshield mount from the car and it worked fine although I only went about 50 miles this way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Garmin nuvi I would like to put on the bike, has anyone tried this and had luck? If so, what mount did you use and did you wire it up inside the headlamp or to the fuse box?? Any help would be appreciated. I searched the threads and no info is showing.
Go to RAM mounts. They work very well. Several of them riders in my group have this. They are made specifically for the GPS model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, that gives me a couple of sites to compare. The picture for my model looks the same on both and so is the price, just the cable is priced different. Appreciate the information...now just cannot wait for it to get warm. This year gonna ride the Great River road from Iowa to it's end in Louisana.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks, that gives me a couple of sites to compare. The picture for my model looks the same on both and so is the price, just the cable is priced different. Appreciate the information...now just cannot wait for it to get warm. This year gonna ride the Great River road from Iowa to it's end in Louisana.
Sounds like a awesome ride....I will have 2 look that up am not familiar but sounds great......Terry..;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nuvi

I use the Garmin Nuvi 260W with a short arm Ram mount. I have used this for two full seasons and it works great. No issues with vibration. The power comes from the headlight bucket. Click the picture below to see more.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use the Garmin Nuvi 260W with a short arm Ram mount. I have used this for two full seasons and it works great. No issues with vibration. The power comes from the headlight bucket. Click the picture below to see more.QUOTE]

I just bought the 265WT but am reluctant to put on the bike. My 340 still works but the memory is damaged. I didn't know this until I tried to load the 2010 maps. The 2010 map evidently grew a bunch over the 2009. For the flat rate for a Garmin rebuild I got a sweet deal on the 265WT to keep for cage us and the 340 can stay on the bike til it croaks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just used the stock RAM mounting kit for the handlebars and plugged into the cigarette lighter I had put on to just have the plug.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I've only had my '08 Vulcan Classic 1600 for four days and I'm all ready thinking about a way to install my Tom Tom GPS on it. Great thread, thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a garmin nuvi 260 on mine with a ram mount kit, works great. To power it I wired a vehicle adapter and busted it open, extended the wires from the terminal board and put spade end to tap into the accessory port in the headlight. Then I zip tied the board inside the headlight case. This has worked great and have ridden all over with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you bought a Nuvi 550

The Zumo costs much more.
You're right. I clicked on a google link for the zumo and it took me to the nuvi. After doing some research, I ordered a RAM mount and will keep the nuvi and the $300 difference. The nuvi is waterproof. Does anyone know the best way to wire for power?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts