Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Just bought a brand new 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT! How did I do on my deal?

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Jace Bror 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just picked up a 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT in the awesome green color. Absolutely love the bike...

I paid $8200 out the door including delivery to my home.

Live in Michigan.

How does that deal compare to others?

Thanks

#2 ·
Congrats on your new ride!
You will be very happy with it for hopefully a long time. If you are planning lots of highway with speeds of 65mph or higher I highly recommend both ScootWorks pulleys.

Mathematically not a great deal but average. Rule of thumb to pay MSRP price or less out the door on the latest 2011 model. In your case you did better than MSRP but you have to consider you bought a new 2010 left over model that has depreciated about $2,074 so if you do the math the MSRP for a new 2011 LT is $9399 minus the depreciated value according to KBB on a 2010 LT is $2074 and that leaves you with a bike that’s worth $7325. If you would had bought it for $7325 OOD that would have been a great deal but in this case it's like you bought it for $7325 plus all fees which would have total just about what you ended up paying for it at the end $8,200. Now because you bought a new zero miles bike I don’t believe it’s fair to say it lost the full $2074 in deprecation value so lets add $1000 credit to it totaling a new value of $8325 so that leaves you with a average OOD deal if you paid $8200. What does this means? Really nothing if you plan to keep your ride for a long time.

#3 ·
deals on wheels

There is a dealer about 2 hours from my home that is going out of business because he can't compete with the big city prices and the internet. He is selling his 900Cs for $7999 and his LTs for $8400. I paid $8200 for my 08 900Custom in the box...and I was happy to get it considering where I live. When you factor in the exchange to the big Canadian dollar, you got a good deal. There will always be better somewhere, but in the end it is your best deal for a bike you wanted, so congrats!:D

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I love this bike. I've had lots of bikes from a 1983 honda ascott 500 to a suzuki SV1000s/zrx1200/FZ6/Magna750... This ones a keeper.

My days of sport bikes I believe are long gone. I live near a lake, and there is nothing like just crusing down the road at sunset along the water.

I'm ok with the deal I got. Dealers are all shysters, I asked them if they would take $7500 OTD and they said no way, $8500 we're only make $7.00 at that price, lol.

I eventually got them down to the $8200, so I guess they lost money huh? not.

Anyways, Cobra Dragsters will be here friday!

#7 ·
I bought a new 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom SE 2 weeks ago from a dealer in WV for $7200 and it cost me another $600 or so to have it shipped here to Oklahoma. It was an Ebay deal and the dealer told me he sells bikes on Ebay at or near cost to simply increase his sales numbers. No idea if he was telling the truth or not.

#8 ·
I was told once by the sells rep that sold me mine (the store manager) that dealer cost is about half of the MSRP. Not sure how true this was as he was actually planing to change jobs when making my deal and by the time I came back to buy accessories he was no longer working there. Now I was told the same about cagers but of course they always tell you they're not making much profit. Its all business.

#15 · (Edited)
I think he was full of S#@T .... most discounting in this industry is thru manufacture to dealer to customer rebates ... they are mostly advertised on the manufactures web sites and advertisements.

The dealer makes a cut, the pdi, the admin fees, extended warranty commissions, manufacturer volume sales rebates and what ever they can stiff you for. It is unusual for a bike to be sold at MSRP in todays economy..... mark ups are slim.

A good friend of mine owns a bike dealership ... believe me when i tell you, they make far more $$$'s on used bike sales than they do on new ones.

New bike sales are still in the toilet, this has a direct impact on traded bikes which affects used bike sales and profit margins. That is one of the biggest reasons bike shops are closing their doors by the dozens .

Low profit margins does not equal sustainability

#14 ·
You are absolutely right, but then, theres always some one who wants to come along and piss in your corn flakes .....

#13 ·
Bought mine back in Oct. and to be honest cant even remember the out the door cost, I think that is a product of the fun Im having with this bike! Just enjoy what you have,somebody will always say they did better,Judge your deal by the smile on your face!!!

#20 · (Edited)
that seems good to me about what i paid but only choice i had was 2 tone black,, i havnt seen the red n silver bet that is nice, and just as a note my 011 does not have the zerk fittings that all you talk about breaking off not even drilled out for them i dint know if dealer was to do this or this is a kawi thing,, so i hope i dont have premature ware from no grease ,, it looks like a sealed job from factory?????

#22 ·
What is the green colour for the LT? pics pls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.