Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW 2014 vulcan 900 with Lehman storm trike. Still belt drive, dual disc brakes in the rear. Yes car tires in the back. :)

I like the engine. Its a perfect match and absolutely trouble free. I changed the oil and filter at 279 miles. It now has almost 600 miles on it. I have been riding it a little harder. Does this bike have an electronic rev limiter?

What is ist supposed to turn? How many HP do i have under me?

My girlfriend and I bought it together for her to ride. I ride a BMW as my daily driver. We used to ride together, but this may help things if she has her own bike.

David and Michele

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Previous bikes...

KLX250SF. I made that a 350 then traded it for a new Versys. Loved it, but used it for a down payment on the trike. So not new to kawasaki, just to cruiser type bikes. This thing is a blast, I may be taking it across the state this weekend including through the adirondacks.

I guess I need to go take some pictures...

David

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It has a rev limiter. But I'd not test that out until you get some miles on it! Though some suggest running it as hard as you can during break in. Guess you need to figure out which you believe is best!

You're looking at about 50hp. About 60ft/lb of torque. Really evident of what great things overhead cams and fuel injection does for you; as that's as much as some older engines that are much bigger. It's a great motor. Very reliable. Just treat it right, and treat it for what it is. A short-stroke mid-sized V-Twin. Don't bog the idle way down like some do (sacrificing electrical charging power and oil pressure at idle for sound), and don't be afraid to rev it! And she'll last you a very long time.

Enjoy it! Got any pics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up 58 ft lbs @ 3500 but no max rpm.

Overbore, so RPM are a good thing. Its pretty smooth in the mid range and that is where all the torque is. Don't worry. I will break it in correctly. Not my first new bike. I am a 55 year old life long mechanic and motor cycle rider.

She drove it tonight, we went to dinner I rode my own bike. It was fun.

Pics later, I lost my stinkin phone before dinner.

Loving the trike. 35 mpg so far.

David

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Awesome! Enjoy it!

In all the Dyno charts I've seen, the rev limiter kicks on around 7k. And it's definitely an electronic rev limiter. It's pretty obvious when it hits. With stock pulley's your gonna run about 4k on the interstate. But as you already know, with your experience, it won't hurt a thing and that's right where she likes to be!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts