Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 92 vulcan 750, it has 13,000 miles on it. So what do i need to check, need a to do list/ check list. I took the the intake covers off and seen this, dont know what to make of it. I think its oil from the crank case?

·
Registered
238 Posts
A couple things come to mind which may or may not be helpful and isn't by any means a complete list. It's just a few things that come to mind off the top of my head.

Personally, I'd change all the fluids just for the heck of it and to get a solid base point for the fluid changing intervals. It's a cheap thing to do and things can go south if they go bad or start losing their properties. Even though it's got low miles on it, it's still a 20+ year old bike.

I'd run a couple tanks with some fuel system cleaner through it to clean out any weird stuff in the carbs.

Check any rubber things (fork seals, tires, fuel/coolant lines, etc) for cracks and general brittleness (especially if it was not garage kept).

Make sure all of the lights, blinkers, and electrical stuff works properly.

If the battery's over 3 years old, I'd go ahead and grab a new one because it's probably getting close to shot anyways.

Wouldn't hurt to check brake pads for wear.

Spend a good 15 min, at least, to just walk around the bike and fiddle with stuff to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

And, of course, send us some pics! No real reason other than we like pics! :D

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Give it a good bath, by hand. 2 reasons, 1 you touch about every part of the bike, this way you are more apt to find something loose, broken, or needs attention. 2 it give you a clean surface so a leak will be more apparent before it turns into a disaster. When changing fluid, also lube all your cable so they work smoothly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So update after looking at it all day, no power to head light (maybe bad switch), smoke/exhaust coming out of right side where the exhaust mounts to the engine, either that or its coming from around there. Battery is shot, needs blinkers and lastly when i rev the throttle and release it the bike continues to rev for a second or two. Here a video.
https://youtu.be/J4SoABm4b_s
Im goin to clean the carb tomorrow. Ive had similar problems with one of my dirt bikes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the oil in the filter there shouldn't be a problem. HOWEVER, what is a problem is that you are missing 90% of your air filter. That larger area of screen should be covered with a filter as well. Should be the same on the other side of the bike as well.

For the revving and staying up after releasing the throttle:
Try cleaning the throttle return spring on the carb. Spray it with some carb cleaner to work out any crud in there. Once clean, I'd spay in some lubricant to keep it oiled up.

A second thing to look at for the throttle is that the return cable might be buggered up and frayed causing too much friction, or i may just need oiled/cleaned.

When getting a new battery, get an AGM/maintenance free battery. There bike are horrible on wet cell batteries. Most frequent problem is issues with hot starts.

further more, if you would like to get a Crap-ton of info on this bike. Come over to: www.VN750.com. Read through the Vulcan Versus section.

Then there is this thread:
TOP TEN items you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride

·
Registered
213 Posts
never mind....

I see you already posted over there.. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you check the power to the headlight with a meter or are you assuming? It could be as simple as a burned out headlight bulb. The throttle sounds like it could just be dirty as stated and a good spray cleaner followed by a lube will solve that. Not sure what you mean by new blinkers. The directional lights aren't working? Again, check contacts in the lights themselves and the bulbs. Hopefully it isn't an electrical problem that is in conjunction with the headlight problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the blinkers is busted off, was just stating that i needed new ones haha. For the head light a wire was melted that was shorting out on the frame. So im cleaning the carb but ran into 2 problems. 1. I was about to take out the last bolt when it striped out instantly... tryied demeling the head to get a flat head on it but just torn the head of the bolt apart. Also tried to use an extraction bit but that failed, more then once. The damn brass screws just suck. Any way i cant get the damn thing out and i spend 3 hours yesterday trying different ways... any suggestions? 2. Is how do i get the floats out? Picture 2

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
the U shaped pin for the float just pulls straight out. I always just used a smallish flat head to lever it out. the two little raised "nubs" sort of hold the pin in. when putting the pin back in, it kinda snaps into place.

However, be careful of the aluminum body of the carb around it. I imagine it could break pretty easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think this carb has ever been cleaned, it was very dirty and nothing wanted to unbolt. I pulled on that clip pretty hard and nothing, so i stopped cause i didn't wanna break anything. I have it at a shop to get the bolt out atm but im goin to clean it again, everything. Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts