Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you who don’t do your own wrenching have ever met your bike mechanic? If you have I would be interested in hearing your opinion of him or her. If you haven’t why not?

You may know the talking head service advisor, but he is not the one taking your life in his hands. Would you consent to an operation without ever seeing or knowing a little about your doctor?

Your bike is special and unique to you, but not to him, he sees maybe hundreds of them.

I can almost guarantee you that you will receive better service if he/she places a face with your ride. You may receive some resistance from the talking head, but it is not an unreasonable request. I’m not talking about looking over his/her shoulder while working. That’s a no no.

Also, there is the slim possibility that you don’t want this person working on your motorcycle.

Another small tip. Is your bike spotless when it arrives for service? If the wrench sees that you are meticulous, then he/she is more apt to be the same.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Excellent point!

I have always made a special point to meet AND THANK the mechanic who actually does the work. This goes for cars & bikes. This is especially important for me because I only have "it" done if I don't think I have the experience or proper tools to do it myself.

Everyone likes to know his/her efforts and expertise are appreciated and valued. Do this a few times and he/she will know whose bike (or car) it is and that it's owner will appreciate the a job well done.

In addition to being a good way to help ensure a job is done well, it's good old-fashioned common courtesy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ashtavakra -- I generally wrench myself.....The things that I have to work out in my head I generally put to a couple good friends who are bike mechs....They ARE in the know....It's not often I tap the dealers resources as this is never as reliable as a friends input....you will get a heart to heart from a good friend too....I've come to never trust the dealer....no pun intended!! lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've met mine. He was a paitant I took care of on an otrtho floor after he had laid or his bike and broke his ankle when a cage driver pulled on the hiway right in front of him. He was a great guy and paitant also very good with a wrench.

·
Registered
333 Posts
RHKman,

What is a "cage driver"?

·
Registered
333 Posts
"Cage Driver" - that's pretty good. Imaginative & descriptive, with a nice subtle touch of distain.

I love the way we Americans are constantly re-inventing the English language.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ashtavakra -- I generally wrench myself.....The things that I have to work out in my head I generally put to a couple good friends who are bike mechs....They ARE in the know....It's not often I tap the dealers resources as this is never as reliable as a friends input....you will get a heart to heart from a good friend too....I've come to never trust the dealer....no pun intended!! lol
There are some who say we are our own dealers. All I know is that we have to play the hand we are dealt. You are fortunate indeed to have good friends to confide in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that it is a very important thing to meet the mechanic if you have your service done at the dealership. We take our bikes to a dealership that has a fairly bad rep with bike work (we are tied to these guys because of location) but once we met the mechanic and talked with the head manager, we have gotten excellent service. We are on first name basis with everyone and they actually greet us with smiles when we come in, and my better half has been a bear at times with some issues.

As well, the idea of taking a clean bike in has a second advantage....you can see any damage that they might have done if your bike is shiny when you start. They scratched hubbie's hard bags once and because the bike was sparkling, we saw it right away and they ordered new bags and didn't charge us! (Voyager 1700, so the bags are color matched to the bike...not cheap). They have also replaced things like the frame around the speakers, which had minuscule pocks in them due to manufacturing. We were not going to say anything, but our adviser saw them, took pictures, and ordered us replacements without our even saying anything.

Cat (soon to be Vulcan 900 Classic LT owner...mid-July can't come soon enough)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts