Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just my thoughts......Every day i wake up i figure it is a good day, I made it 2 another one....I feel the same way about being able to jump on my bike and take off....Every time i get on my bike i thank God i am able to ride....In recent years i have lost a wife, Dad, many close friends....Some times it makes me bitter....But over time it has made me realize how lucky i am....To be able to ride, feel the wind, smell the air, see the scenery and all the sites, the animals, the forests, mountains....I have ridden through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere in the world.....Have my kids and my bikes, friends, family....Life is good.... Have been fortunate to be able to ride when ever i have wanted in the past couple summers...Took a couple years off....Our riding season is limited so i get it in while i can....So take care all and enjoy....Just my thoughts.......Terry........:)

Would also like to add.....A very good lady friend of mine has M.S......What a terrible disease....Can use a cane if she can hang on 2 someone, or a walker for short distance, but usually a electric wheelchair weather permitting......She loves 2 ride on bikes, so i take her for short runs as often as i can.....We have a system where i help her on the bike and strap her cane to my luggage rack...Anyways point being she kinda gives me inspiration as well....As bad as things are for her she still finds enjoyment in getting out on the bike...Is awesome........Things can always be worse....

·
Registered
257 Posts
goodness

Thanks for sharing the thoughts...

Being able to ride truly does feel like an incredible blessing - nearest thing to flying while remaining on the ground, in my opinion. As hard as some things might be in life, truly life is good. I, too, am thankful for each day, as well as each and every opportunity to ride - and when I'm riding life is very good!

Blessings

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree. A good frien of mine, as well co-worker, was in an accident, on his bike. He ended up loosing his leg from the knee down. As a diehard Harley man, he had the HD logo put on his prosthetic. He rebuilt his damaged bike himself, while going through rehab to learn to walk again. After his bike was back together, he rode it. He would have rode home from the hospital if they would let him.

The sad part is that almost a year after his accident, he passed away from a blood clot. One of the tuffest men I knew. He was a Rider, unlike most of us. But when I ride, I do remember him and all of his advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you, Terry...

Good Thoughts and Great Efforts.

M.S. ...as one who knows the disease intimately and all to well, I can say, without a doubt, that your friend appreciates what you're doing for her far more than you will ever know.

Sometimes it really is the little things that count the most.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Folks......Thanks so much for the replies.....One thing i have learned in this life is we all have a story....And like most of you and anyone who rides a bike, no matter what life throws at us, when i am on that bike i am able 2 clear my head, think, relax, enjoy....The old saying.....Live to ride, Ride to live...So true.....Riding is the ultimate enjoyment for me...The best medicine money can buy.....Take care all and I wish u all a wonderful New Year.......Terry

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks Terry for sharing and you are so right.....riding is the best medicine.....and it does help one to clear their head. I am so thankful for the opportunities to ride. My husband introduced me to riding over 13 years ago but I never got into riding my own until 4 1/2 years ago. I never quite understood his love of riding until I rode my own. I am thankful my husband and I have had the opportunity to ride together and take a few trips. I just wish we could take a few more, but our last trip was June 2008 when we rode to Colorado. Since then my husband's health has deteriorated to the point of him not even being able to get out of his lift chair into a power chair without assistance. We still don't have a definite diagnosis but they are thinking it is ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease). It has really been hard watching his strength deteriorate and how he feels so useless. He gets so frustrated when his body won't do the things he thinks it should. He so loved riding. He encourages me to ride as much as possible because he says he knows how much it means to me and he knows what it meant to him. He always said "Riding a motorcycle is a cross between riding a horse and flying a plane". He loved the freedom he felt when on his bike and so do I. So for all of you....I wish for you all Good Health and a Happy New Year. Do what you enjoy while you can! Sandi B.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Terry for sharing and you are so right.....riding is the best medicine.....and it does help one to clear their head. I am so thankful for the opportunities to ride. My husband introduced me to riding over 13 years ago but I never got into riding my own until 4 1/2 years ago. I never quite understood his love of riding until I rode my own. I am thankful my husband and I have had the opportunity to ride together and take a few trips. I just wish we could take a few more, but our last trip was June 2008 when we rode to Colorado. Since then my husband's health has deteriorated to the point of him not even being able to get out of his lift chair into a power chair without assistance. We still don't have a definite diagnosis but they are thinking it is ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease). It has really been hard watching his strength deteriorate and how he feels so useless. He gets so frustrated when his body won't do the things he thinks it should. He so loved riding. He encourages me to ride as much as possible because he says he knows how much it means to me and he knows what it meant to him. He always said "Riding a motorcycle is a cross between riding a horse and flying a plane". He loved the freedom he felt when on his bike and so do I. So for all of you....I wish for you all Good Health and a Happy New Year. Do what you enjoy while you can! Sandi B.
Sandi......Thanks for the reply......The FREEDOM.......Kinda says it all.....So sorry about your husband. I pray things will work out 4 you both....I know where u r coming from...Been there....It is so awesome you r able 2 ride...Good 4 u.....I know if i could not ride that alone would be devastating...I wish nothing but good 4 u and yours....Keep riding and take care.....All the best in the new year.....Terry.......:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Terry, I just wanted to say I think it is great that you can take your friend with MS out on your bike so she can enjoy what we all know is great. And I am so sorry for your losses in your life. Our loved ones will always be with us in our hearts and our memories. Yes, Life IS Good....we just have to look for the good in life and not dwell in the negative. God has given us so much to be thankful for. God Bless You and all our biking friends. There are some pretty awsome people on this forum. So glad to be apart of it. Have A Great Day Everyone! :):):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts