Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a guy who was wearing jeans and a tee shirt who dumped his bike at 25 MPH.

:eek:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yikes. That looks like a bad day!

Well, actually, day 2 is gonna be a REALLY bad day...

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Day 2 through 14... OUCH!! the healing is worst part... Good look on the hesaling process!!! Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Ouch. Reminds me of why I need to get some gear. I mainly ride with jeans, tshirt in the summer and of course a helmet. Add gloves and jacket in the winter.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ouch. Reminds me of why I need to get some gear. I mainly ride with jeans, tshirt in the summer and of course a helmet. Add gloves and jacket in the winter.
I do the jeans and t-shirt thing now and then. Motorcycling is dangerous and there are risks even with gear. But, these modern day textiles are both breathable AND durable. Still a little stuffy at a stop but surprisingly comfortable at-speed. On a really long ride I actually prefer riding with gear from a comfort standpoint. Protects from sunburn and windburn and I really don't like the "raw" feeling of riding at speed for a few hours. (From the wind on my skin).

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
one MSF instructor told us never to wear fingerless gloves.. you know the ones all hardley guys wear.. I call them nose pickers.. but he said that when you go down its natural to put your hands out and grind off the end of your fingers?
I don't know bout that. ever time I bit it and ate asphalt I tucked into a ball and took my beating on the backside, leather. have plenty cherries around my extremities.. grinding off the excess makes me a well rounded person?

but he said that having abused the finger tips you are now at the mercy of anyone to take care of you and do all those little things that you would do yourself like take a leak or otter necessaries..

·
Registered
41 Posts
want to gage how much protection you need?
take your child on a ride. (or substitute your mother, either one will do)

whatever you think they should wear, you can wear less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
and by the way, i have had worse; and have seen far worse.
Great shades of red for sure!!!! But really it is the broken parts that hurt. skin is expendable to a certain degree (age dependant)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have done that although not as bad. Still have a big scar on my left elbow and right knee along with a few smaller ones scattered else where.

·
Registered
54 Posts
well aside from learning on a dirt bike,and the stupid mistakes I made there, ive never been down on a street because of something I did or didnt do. I have however been put into a no way out scenario, where I had to lay it down for impact to avoid a forward impact. took out the rear quarter, deck lid, back glass and buckled the roof on a 1986 monte ss.
also been hit head on at over 45mph with a buick lasaber. one payment left on my first Vulcan (1991/ 88)totaled it. put me in a wheel chair for 8 weeks, stiches in one leg rash all over. was wearing shorts,button up work uniform and sneakers. the impact knocked my helmet clean off my head before I was airborn.
today I ride in shorts, t shirt, sneakers and in ny I have to wear a helmet. when I lived in fl. I didn't. when I cross the state line into pa.,it comes off. if you are going to get hit, no gear will save you. if you F-up , go down on your own , it might help. I would ride naked if it were allowed. that's "being in the wind"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts