Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind spelling and grammer errors on forums and posts, for the most part. But lately on here and elsewhere I have been seeing more and more people not putting spaces after a '' .'' I just recently learned that in technical typing courses they teach you to do a double space after a period, which I never knew. But it does make sentences stand out more. But to not have a space at all just turns things into one long sentence, and extremely hard to read. If I wanted to read Chaucer I would read Chaucer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Grammar Nazi!:D
All kidding aside I tend to proof read everything myself. I think it is OCD or CDO as I call it because those letters have to be in order dangit!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
what bugs me more THAN anything is when people type more THEN anything.......but i'm no spelling Nazi ... heel I kant spall wurt a phuck.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
What bothers me is "you're" vs "your". "Your" is possessive...meaning something 'you' have. "You're" is a contraction of 'you' and 'are'. The common mistake of "your right" (not so much) as opposed to "you're right" (in fact, you are ;), drives me crazy. Just my neurosis, I guess.

·
Registered
507 Posts
These days with smart phones and tablets that think they know what you are trying to type before you type it, errors are often auto corrected so that they don't make sense. That may be a contributing factor to the increase in grammatical errors you are seeing. I quite often find myself editing silly mistakes that my phone or tablet have so kindly made on my behalf. I try to do this prior to posting. I suspect many do not.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's funny about the double space thing is that when I do it on here it automatically removes the 2nd space.

The your vs you're gets me to. Also...

·
Registered
338 Posts
What bothers me is "you're" vs "your". "Your" is possessive...meaning something 'you' have. "You're" is a contraction of 'you' and 'are'. The common mistake of "your right" (not so much) as opposed to "you're right" (in fact, you are ;), drives me crazy. Just my neurosis, I guess.
When someone tells me "Your right." I usually respond with "My right what?" :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
One Grammar Nazi here >> me :D
These things irritate the crap out of me

·
Registered
286 Posts
FYI - the double space after a period comes from the days of typewriters with fixed width fonts. It is how I was taught, in typing class, on an IBM Selectric typewriter.

I still double space after a period. I always will.
What is this "typewriter" thing you speak of?:confused:
Jk. Agree there are too many auto spell correctors out there now. It is not helping the next generation to be literate:(.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation make the writing more readable. It is the responsibility of the communicator to transmit his message. We have grammar, spelling and punctuation so we can communicate.

Can you imagine driving in any urban area without lane markings, traffic signs or lights?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Be very careful where you go with this thread. Some of the greatest minds in the world have the worse grammar. Some of the greatest inventors that have created inventions that you use every day, had bad grammar skills. So be careful on how you judge people. One lesson I learn while growing up, you point one finger there will three more pointing back at you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Be very careful where you go with this thread. Some of the greatest minds in the world have the worse grammar. Some of the greatest inventors that have created inventions that you use every day, had bad grammar skills. So be careful on how you judge people. One lesson I learn while growing up, you point one finger there will three more pointing back at you.
You stole my thunder and this is coming from a teacher.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Seems Like A Fun Topic. This Is All The Rage Now, And It Drives Me Crazy. Most Of The Kids I Know Are Typing This Way Now....

I have another "grammar pet peeve"...and even journalists get this wrong. Anxious. You see, if your "anxious" about something......your dreading it, having anxiety about it...etc....How many times I've read and listened to people say they are anxious about getting their new bike...etc...
I also dislike using the little dots......but, I use them all the time....lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation make the writing more readable. It is the responsibility of the communicator to transmit his message. We have grammar, spelling and punctuation so we can communicate.

Can you imagine driving in any urban area without lane markings, traffic signs or lights?
Absolutely, totally agree with you.
I have noticed some strange grammar, wording, spelling and punctuation at times in this forum. I agree we should be careful about our writing, even here.

On the other hand, good, invaluable advice about our bikes given on the forum, makes me forget these errors and makes the author a genius in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts