Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how to test a junction box. i twisted some wires together that did not belong when i tried to hotwire my bike after i lost my key. it ran fine the first day but the next day when i tried to start it i got nothing. two fuses were blown. i replaced the fuses but nothing.. i bought a used one (junction box) off of ebay but still nothing.. i checked the main fuse and its good. if i take the junction box off i can jump the ignition and get insterment lights, but when i hook the junction box back up and try to jump the ignition i get no lights on the instrument panel.. any ideas. bike had no problems until i lost key and tried to hotwire it. any help would be great. thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is the bike? Which fuses blew? Did they only blow once, or have you replaced them several times? You're using the correct fuses, not paper clips? What wires did you twist together? Do you have a multimeter, and some experience with using it?

The junction box has twenty or so connections to it, so testing it is going to be tough without some idea of what lead up to the trouble. If you've replaced it and you still have trouble, it's possible the new one is damaged now, or something in the harness is damaged, or both.

The first place to start is to replace the ignition switch and whatever wiring you've modified. That way you know you're not doing further damage.

I'd be happy to help you sort this out, but you'll have to give me (us) something to go on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any help would be great. thank you. the bike ran fine until i lost my key and tried to hotwire it. i took the ignition switch (key) off and twisted the wires together to what i thought was right. the bike did run that day. the next day i went out to start it and i got nothing.. checked the fuse box and found two fuses blown. replaced the fuses with the proper replacement fuses and nothing happened. i thought i might have burned up the junction box so i got a used one off of ebay from a motorcycle shop that was supposed to be good. i put it on the bike and nothing... i can jump the ignition pig-tale and get the instrument panel to light up( neutral and oil light) but only with the junction box not hooked up to the bike. when i put the junction box on the bike and try to jump the ignition pigtail it will not work( no instrument panel lights (neutral and oil). hope i am explaining it so you can understand. again thanks for your help. i do have a multi meter and can use it a little. thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, you're kind of repeating the same information. Without knowing what wires you're twisting together, which fuses are blowing, etc, there's no way I can help. Most importantly, I think you really need to replace the ignition switch and put all that back together properly so that you can troubleshoot the existing trouble, not to mention avoiding doing further damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I will get a new ignition switch. As far as the fuses that went out was the tail light blinkers and headlight. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts