Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good even I have 2009 Vulcan 1700 classic. While in 2nd gear between 30 and 50 mph I get this jump in the bike it's like it coughs for a second an after I get by 50 mile I'm good. It only does this in 2nd gear all other gears are fine anyone have an input on this help if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Does it happen when you are accelerating hard or soft or both. You should be able to tell if it's an engine sputter or not. It could be the transmission.....shift fork possibly? It's not a good sign that it only does it in one gear. The reason I say that is because I road my buddy's V2K and it's got a shifting problem in 3rd gear. If you get on the throttle hard it pops out then back into gear.....very sudden jerk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it happen when you are accelerating hard or soft or both. You should be able to tell if it's an engine sputter or not. It could be the transmission.....shift fork possibly? It's not a good sign that it only does it in one gear. The reason I say that is because I road my buddy's V2K and it's got a shifting problem in 3rd gear. If you get on the throttle hard it pops out then back into gear.....very sudden jerk

Yes it does only happen in 2nd if I'm on the throttle hard or if I'm just doing the normal acceleration trying to pick up speed

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is your's throttle by wire like Voyager/Vaquero? I suspect it is. If so that's probably why and suggest you do a search in the forums...

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Good even I have 2009 Vulcan 1700 classic. While in 2nd gear between 30 and 50 mph I get this jump in the bike it's like it coughs for a second an after I get by 50 mile I'm good. It only does this in 2nd gear all other gears are fine anyone have an input on this help if you can

SORRY to say but with my 40+ years as a motorcycle technician you have the typical second gear problem/failure. NOT with just the 1700's, but with all skoots.

The jumping you feel has 2 occurrences, the first is second gear jumping OUT of engagement which causes the disruption of power, then the gear re-engages. It can happen once or multiple times.

Until the engine is removed and disassembled to make the repairs, do not ride in second gear in the manner that causes this skipping, to minimize further damage.

I will be glad to completely explain this by fone so shoot me a fone nmber as it's too time consuming to type.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SORRY to say but with my 40+ years as a motorcycle technician you have the typical second gear problem/failure. NOT with just the 1700's, but with all skoots.

The jumping you feel has 2 occurrences, the first is second gear jumping OUT of engagement which causes the disruption of power, then the gear re-engages. It can happen once or multiple times.

Until the engine is removed and disassembled to make the repairs, do not ride in second gear in the manner that causes this skipping, to minimize further damage.

I will be glad to completely explain this by fone so shoot me a fone nmber as it's too time consuming to type.

RACNRAY

Thanks for your posted it helped

·
Registered
580 Posts

RACNRAY
Yup, sadly this sounds familiar

·
Registered
580 Posts
Could just be shaft hump normal in first and second gear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Elaborate please, because nothing about his tranny problem sounds "normal"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts