Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a set of black jumbos for my black 2011 classic. Bags came with some really nice heavy duty brackets but was wondering if anyone tried other/better brackets with their bikes. Thinking of a quick disconnect system. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have Saddleman extra jumbos mounted to Easy Brackets and really like them.
They do "stick out a bit" and I would add a little reinforcement inside....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm more concerned with the shape of the bags and how the brackets will fit. The back of these bags are not flat.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I think you need to order bags specifically made for easy brackets, and those have flat backs. Otherwise, you must use the brackets they provide.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You can use most any bag with easy brackets as long as you put some type of reinforcement plate inside. Some people use very thin plastic cutting boards. I used sheet aluminum inside and out. A little overkill but my bags will not fall apart.

I used the large leather bags from Leatherup. They are holding up much better than the Saddlemans I had previously. Less expensive too.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Saddlebags/Classic-Heavy-Duty-Premium-Cowhide-Leather-Motorcycle-Saddlebags/56944.html

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the regular Tsukayu strong bags with the included supports. Haven't had a problem yet. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good to hear. Did you locktight the bolts? Red or blue?
I did locktight the bolts. Blue. I've been told that red would be very hard to remove bolts if used. Tsukayu recommends checking for tightness on a regular basis. I don't over tighten as I'm afraid of breaking of stripping the bolts. I think the bags probably move/vibrate a little at speed.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Had a set of EZ brackets a few years back. IMHO they were junk.

Sheet metal with a cheesy lock. For me the lock assembly broke rght away so I just tossed them. Any leather bag that was larger than an opera purse required some type of support or they would sag like grandma. I finally tossed them in the garbage after trying to make them work and put real hard bags on with a solid frame mount.

I personally would not waste the money on the ez brackets and go with real hard bags and mounts. I have installed Hardstreet and Tsyuakis and both are great. The hardstreets have a great mount system. Tsyuaki's are pretty solid and very simple.

You can see the Hardstreets on my Kingpin on thier website. It's the red one under customs-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts