Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rode a few home-built bikes in Ca. and loved the jockey shift on one. Any wrenches out there who can tell me if it's possible on my '06 Vulcan?

·
Registered
941 Posts
What is a jockey shift?

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's also called a suicide shift. Instead of using your left foot to shift, there's a shift knob on the left side of the tank whick links to the tranny. American Chopper has done a couple of bikes with them. The suicide part comes in that you have to take your left hand off the handlebar to shift... sounds like fun, doesn't it!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I"ve seen pics of an 800 with a jockey shift in an issue of RoadBike. Having owned such an animal ('48 HD Panhead complete with rocker clutch), I can only wonder...WHY?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's also called a suicide shift. Instead of using your left foot to shift, there's a shift knob on the left side of the tank whick links to the tranny.
Actually, i believe there is a difference between a "suicide" and a "jockey" shift. The suicide is indeed located to the left of the tank, but i believe a jockey is located more below the seat.

To answer the question, i haven't heard of it being done to a Vulcan, but i guess it could be possible. There's some pretty clever mechanically inclined folks out there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Check the Apr 2009 issue of RoadBike (if you can find it), page 62. An article on a '98 800 made into a bobber. Owner fabricated his jockey shift himself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can't fathom why you would want to, but with fairly straight forward design, some selonids and contact switches with a self centering lever you should be home. Forward to upshifts, back to down shifts. Not that it was asked about, but the same could be used for bars mounted shifted via a switch similar to our turn signal switch, but without the detent. Selonids would be similar to the ones used to lock/unlock car doors.

Can't see why this wouldn't do it, unless the forces are a lot higher than I think.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't know about no solenoids, i've done the conversion to a suicide shift on my old suzuki gs1000g the shift lever connects directly to the input shaft into the tranny and you need to relocate the clutch cable to what is at the moment our gear levers, it can't be that hard to do on the 900's

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That's exactly what i thought had to be done, Slash. Direct to the shaft and clutch to the pedal. The clutch might be the tricky part.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Helek i'm at work and just saw your answer, seeing as how my bike is parked inside right next to my office i went and had a look.

1) The shift lever is simplicity itself, my advice is buy a 2nd clamp that clamps to the shaft going into the gearbox, onto this you will need to weld a new gear lever (stainless steel) of about 1/2" then heat it and bend it so that it forms neatly around the chrome engine casing and make sure it's long enough to reach easily finish it off with a suitably evil looking gearknob. My last on was a chromed skull about 2" big. Then polish the shaft till it gleams

2) As for the foot clutch i just checked that out as well, if you look at your bike you will see the footrest bracket is attached to the frame by two bolts.
A simple bracket can be welded up from flat bar, i like to use stainless because its low maintenance.drill the two holes and a small piece of stainless tubing can be welded to it and the clutch cable would then fit into the tubing and it will then need to be connected to the bottom of the, now clutch pedal.

No rocket science involved at all.

In closure let me say if you give me some time, as i am currently busy with the intake to my new airbox which is now finished and anodised (I just got it back today from the anodiser). I am also busy with a screen and a backrest.
As soon as some of this is done i think iwill make a suicide shift even if just to show how to do it

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looking at the clutch cable i think if you loop it over the one radiator hose and down to the clutch pedal it should do usable as is. No mods involved.
I do not like to make permanent mods to the bike, each one that i do is fully reversable back to standard with no trace left of what i did.
Btw the switch on the clutch i'm not sure about but i'll cross that bridge when i get there

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input. I was pretty sure it could be done without too much fuss but I love to brainstorm a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this thread is older, but I was wondering if you had done anything Kinnally with your shifter.

I think what you were looking for was a hand/tank shifter, which was exactly what I had on my 06 800 classic. I loved it... and my mileage went up cause you can't 'rat rod' all the time seeing as you have to shift with your throttle hand.

I have pics but can't seem to get anything to work right now.

I have since taken the hand/tank shift off and gone to a suicide clutch and a jockey shift. As you probably all ready know by now there is no suicide shifter just a suicide clutch (foot clutch). Hand/tank shifters are different than jockey shifts. Hand/tank shifters are as you might imagine are beside the tank and can be on either side. A jockey shifter is located behind your left leg and the act of shifting reminds one of a jockey cracking his horse with the crop.

It was quite simple to do, you do have to weld two plates to your frame. The rest is simple linkage... I built mine in a few hours. The linkage is attached to the original foot linkage so in a panic situation the foot shifter is still there and works just like new. The hand shift seemed sooooooooo natural that it only took a hour or so before it was second nature.

Still can't upload any attachments so I will try a link to photobucket. I haven't gotten around to putting any pics of the suicide clutch/ jockey shift yet. But there are some of the new side covers I made, nothing is painted yet and I haven't covered the seat, hopefully this winter... if I don't start any other projects...lol.

http://s973.photobucket.com/home/elgordo_06/index

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, i believe there is a difference between a "suicide" and a "jockey" shift. The suicide is indeed located to the left of the tank, but i believe a jockey is located more below the seat.

To answer the question, i haven't heard of it being done to a Vulcan, but i guess it could be possible. There's some pretty clever mechanically inclined folks out there.
the difference is. Suicide has a foot clutch where your shifter was,
the name comes from the fact that u can only put one foot down when coming to a stop..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the difference is. Suicide has a foot clutch where your shifter was,
the name comes from the fact that u can only put one foot down when coming to a stop..
Looks like your guy moved the hand clutch to his shifter..that's one way to handle it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Moto My Man!!!!

That's probably the coolest mod I've seen. I see you're going the bobber look like me. Just wish there was less of a spiderweb of hoses and wires throughout the bike. Thanks for the update.

B.T.W. I love El Gordo's use of the 7 ball as a shift knob.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The wiring can be cleaned up really good. I only have headlight wires running to the front of the bike now. On my other bike, I cleared out everything under the seat and side mounted my battery.

This is my bike with the jockey shift.

Here are pics of how I cleaned everything out on my other bike.

Cleaning these bikes up is pretty easy, but you have to take your time, especially with the wiring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts