Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through about 30 pages, I could not find the relevant answer to my question.

1998 Vulcan 1500a, Keihin CVK carbs. After an adjustment and sync failed to get the bike running correctly, decided to remove the carbs and inspect. This was a partial half-ass "rebuild". So, disassembled carbs completely, Starting to clean, noticed that the main jets are different sizes.

112 and 115.

Couple questions.
Are these stock sizes for this bike?
Fatter(115) jet on back cylinder?

The slow jet(as indicated by the manual) is 42 for both carbs. Is this stock for the bike
0722200852a.jpg
?

Since my knowledge about this bikes history is next to nothing, I am going in with, what was this bike originally equipped with?

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Here is a parts diagram for the carburetor from the factory repair manual. They list a few different sizes. I do not know which one was stock. Hope it helps. Maybe a sharp parts person at the dealer can tell which ones were stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it seems like 112 and 115 are stock sizes. But they go bigger for whatever. 42 for the slow jet is stock sizing too. But goes smaller. I disassembled the carbs today and thoroughly cleaned them. Couple blocked small orifices. especially by the throttle plate. One carb has 4 small holes, the other has 5. They seem to be from the main jet as when I sprayed cleaner through there, they sprayed. Then what I presume are air holes at the front of the carbs, each had the smallest hole partially plugged. Some minor rust throughout the carbs I am fairly confident I got cleaned out. Mostly old gummed up fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.....So, re-doing the carbs minus the main jets was a huge improvement. Started easily, idled smoothly, and had crisp throttle response till about 3/4 when it seemed to fall flat(main jets waaaaaay too lean). So, I have the next two stages of jets on order.

Going through the bikes various rubber lines, I find this......What is it for and where does it go?

This hose is on the right side of the bike, hooked to the lower portion of the airbox. The hose just dangled by the exhaust with a sort of filter element at the bottom. According to the Clymer Manual I was given, it seems it hooks somehow to the breather pipes on the carbs. But I dont see how. And the manual is very vague on routing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump....Any ideas? I am not above capping off useless lines. I rather see the lines hooked up properly though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not worried about the jets. $150 in all sizes will get the back fire out of the bike, I will have those jets come this week. The hose is a drain hose according to the manual. And it doesnt really make sense to why its there. No other bike I have ever owned has a drain hose. If any liquids are getting into the air box, there is a problem. Not even automobiles have drain hoses in their air cleaner assemblies. Since this hose has been burnt by the exhaust, the fact that it was not filtering the air is obvious. I did in fact cap it. I doubt water will be entering it and doubt even more if gasoline will be entering it. The breather hose on the left side of the bike is intact and going to the engine. So in theory, condensation will be evaporated out through the engine heat. At least this is what my other bikes and automobiles do.

Tourer....Thanks for the manual pages to locate the precise routing. At least I dont feel too bad now for capping it. I just wanted to make sure it didnt loop back around to some other portion of the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts