Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching Jay Leno's youtube channel since forever for some reason... old and new episodes, each time they put the cars up on the lift, I'd see the orange FRAM oil filters. the other day they were working on a performance Lotus Elan (1969), rebuild and modified engine; the oil filter did seem a little oversized for a 1.6L engine (ph2870a =5in long oil filter).
Apparently there are very talented people working in that garage and even on very demanding restorations and engine modifications they use those oil filters. Jay also enjoys to run the engines hard, both bikes and automobiles.

I don't use FRAM since there are prettier oil filters out there (lols) but I have used them in the past for both bikes and cars, with no issues, at least with the ones I cut and inspected. So if those guys use them, FRAM can't be the as bad as we tend to believe... Just an observation, feel free to take offense (lols again).

Be safe, have fun!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Some years ago there were multiple oil filter comparisons done by disassembling new ones of various brands and doing bit by bit analyses. In those comparisons Fram filters did not compare well with most other brands. However it is possible that Fram has improved their products in the meanwhile. Would be good to see more up-to-date detailed comparisons.

However just because Jay Leno uses Frams is not on its own enough evidence for me to use them as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started my carer as accountant at FRAM's European manufacturing facility, we made all sort of filters. all the same then at the end of the line a manufactures sleeve was fitted before the end plate and then boxed in the appropriate box, for a face we made, Motorcraft (Ford) British Layland (Unipart?) Rolls Royce, Chrysler, all identical except the box.

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
136 Posts
I love posts like this. Marketing at its best. I personally use K&N on all the filters on my 9 because money isn't an issue, and there have been no failures, their reputation seems decent. Again likely marketing. On my personal vehicles I go factory, which is mostly Motorcraft. If Motorcraft filters are disquised as Frams, and they fail, well that is on Ford. I would normally go K&N on my personal trucks but due to having a company truck, the personal trucks are rarely driven, so it seems more a matter of following OEM recommendations.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I agree that a YT show is not the standard for product quality, I also assume that mr Leno and the mechanics there are not the type of guys that disregard the safety of their engines :D

I do not recall watching an episode where they present the oil filters, but the orange color makes the filters easily recognizable, so that's how I saw them. I think they would be a little more aggressive in pushing the products if it were a marketing maneuver, meaning they don't really make ANY effort in advertising those filters. They do present a few products, for example a few shows on non-corrosive coolants that they use and also the battery tenders... they always mention the universal brake calipers and other stuff like that. Nothing really on the oil filters..

* @Wasatch & @Wasatch I think you misunderstood my post ;}. I decided on not using FRAM oil filters based on the reasons @Hot Cruiser stated... but I found it interesting that consecrated motor-heads have no issues with that product line..

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
136 Posts
No worries I have seen a lot of the video comparisons between the filter line up. According to the videos and info I get the quality of the products are distinctly different. I personally do not use Fram products based on a lot of things. To Fram: Been on several forums (including this one) who don't like using them, their reputation is not the greatest, etc. I don't mind paying several $ more for something for the main consensus agrees on and what has been successful.

If the main option was to use Fram, that works. I would however speed up my maintenance interval a little. Again not dissing them, just looking at the history, reviews, and some other online sources. And I agree if Fram has gotten better in these past years, more power to them!

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
While I agree that a YT show is not the standard for product quality, I also assume that mr Leno and the mechanics there are not the type of guys that disregard the safety of their engines :D

I do not recall watching an episode where they present the oil filters, but the orange color makes the filters easily recognizable, so that's how I saw them. I think they would be a little more aggressive in pushing the products if it were a marketing maneuver, meaning they don't really make ANY effort in advertising those filters. They do present a few products, for example a few shows on non-corrosive coolants that they use and also the battery tenders... they always mention the universal brake calipers and other stuff like that. Nothing really on the oil filters..

* @Wasatch & @Wasatch I think you misunderstood my post ;}. I decided on not using FRAM oil filters based on the reasons @Hot Cruiser stated... but I found it interesting that consecrated motor-heads have no issues with that product line..
Generac (power generators) line of oil filters for their generators are orange. A lot of auto filters are compatible with their units. I have heard of people using auto filters in their Generacs units because the Generac filters are expensive, but not the other way around. Who knows? Maybe Leno's folks have found that Generac filters do a great job in their vehicles. My point - just because they are orange does not necessarily mean they are Fram. Likely they are, but it is not a certainty.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
For a few bucks more I use K & N. Jay is probably getting paid to use Fram.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For a few bucks more I use K & N. Jay is probably getting paid to use Fram.
Also, Jay can afford to just buy a new one if his cars blow up. Not saying the logic follows, but having a ton of money doesn't make you super smart either ;)

I've been known to use them without issue when money was tight, but I never felt that confident with them. It's a peace of mind thing when you spend more on a quality product like K & N. Which is doubly complicated by "fake" quality like, oh I don't know, organic pink Himalayan sea salt vs. regular Iodized.

I try to listen to people who instill confidence and use my own best judgment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to add, none of the filter manufactures actually 'make' the paper, it comes into the factory in huge roles, gets cut up in to 'toilet' roll lengths and is crimped as it goes onto the production line, so the real issue isn't who 'bends' the paper into a filter shape it's who makes the paper, Frams buy form the large paper industrial manufactures like everybody else. From mempry when I worked at Frams I think we bought from Wiggans Teap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts