Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPwvVoqyHs

Here's Jay Leno checking out some of the new Indian's.

I think they look and sound great. I'd love to ride one but there is no dealer within 100 miles of me. I also haven't heard if other Polaris (e.g., Victory) dealers will be able to perform warranty work and recalls on the bike. If not, that's a deal breaker for me to even consider it. The dealer network, I think, is something they need to work on. I've heard through the grapevine that Polaris isn't making it easy (or cheap) for Victory dealers to include Indian. They actually don't WANT that as they want to differentiate the brand, and they want people to build brand new, separate dealerships for Indian. Personally though, it's not because the Indians are sold by the same company who sells Victory that's making me not seriously consider them- it's the fact that there's no dealer support! I imagine if the Victory dealer 25 minutes from me had them, it'd be a whole lot different!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I feel ya. The closest Indian Dealer for me is close to Charlotte NC. That is +-5 hours away. I have always thought they want to keep it that way. Try to produce something that more "Exotic" and "Special". I think they are nice looking bikes but you are looking at close to 20K for a basic cruiser and 23K for something comparable to a Vaq.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel ya. The closest Indian Dealer for me is close to Charlotte NC. That is +-5 hours away. I have always thought they want to keep it that way. Try to produce something that more "Exotic" and "Special". I think they are nice looking bikes but you are looking at close to 20K for a basic cruiser and 23K for something comparable to a Vaq.
I wouldn't even consider the lower trim levels. The bang for buck just isn't there. $23k for the bagger, considering it had keyless start, locking bags, electric adjustable windshield, etc. isn't bad. Of course, as we know from owning Kawasaki's, sticker and what you can actually get it out the door for are sometimes very different (though a limited dealer network may create a false demand that makes it very Harley-like in that good luck even getting it AT sticker).

The pricing is actually higher than HD, though. The Chief line seems in line with the Softail (Classic and Heritage). MAYBE comparable to Road King Classic, but in the end, it's the same or more money than a comparable Harley (and thus a lot more money than a comparable Metric). But at least it's not as pricey as it's ridiculously priced former self!

Time will tell if the pricing remains or if they are able to remain competitive in that market. In theory, the Indian name will carry some weight; but in reality I don't think it will. Too many reboots of various (read, poor) quality. I have hopes for the latest generation but I don't think they can ride the coattails of the original Indian, I think they have to make a name for themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I'd love to own one. Agreed, lack of availability for services and dealerships. I'm back to drooling over some Drifters. Indian looks, Kawasaki reliability. Maybe one day.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd love to own one. Agreed, lack of availability for services and dealerships. I'm back to drooling over some Drifters. Indian looks, Kawasaki reliability. Maybe one day.....
"Hey! Is that a NEW Indian?" strangers ask me. "Nope, it's an Old kawasaki!" I reply. I love my Drifter!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Drifter was a cool bike. It's kind of funny, Metrics get a bad rap for being 'Harley clones' in that they are V-Twin cruisers with chrome on them. But the style actually originated with Indian, and the Drifter is a pretty obvious pure copy of the Indian styling. Yet ya never hear that they are indian clones!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I've heard them called the "poor man's Indian". And that describes me to a "T".

And I'm not talking about the Native American part. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Romans, from what I have heard you are dead one about Polaris making it hard financially for Victory dealers to get Indian franchise rights.

The local Victory dealer passed because the fee was to high and a metric dealer has the Indian dealership which makes no sense to me as they are pushing the American made thing.

I have ridden the Chieftan and liked it very much, and if I was daddy warbucks one would have been sitting in the garage six to eight weeks later, but I am not that guy with unlimited funds. The wait is still six to eight weeks and they are not dealing on the list price either.

J

·
0 Posts
I've ridden the new Indians three times last summer, just the base model though, because that is the only one I would ever be interested in. If I want to take an extended motorcycle trip, I'll ride our GL1800, so I'd have zero use for a touring-outfitted Indian. I will say, however, that I feel the new Indians are, overall, the finest large V-twin motorcycle I've ever ridden and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a $19,000+ motorcycle....but I'm not. I think it's priced reasonably when compared to what Harley offers in the roughly same price range, and IMO, pound for pound, it's a clearly superior motorcycle. That being said, the dealership network is very sparce so far, but I expect it to get a lot better as time passes.

Shortly after riding the Indians, I stumbled across a very nice 2006 Vulcan 2000 at our local Kaw dealership and bought it for a relatively paltry $5700. By buying the Vulcan, I saved $13,000 over the price of the Indian. That's insane! I haven't looked back since, and don't feel one bit of remorse about not being able to swing the cost of a new Indian because the Vulcan thoroughly scratches my 'big-twin itch' and I'm very, very, pleased with it. It rumbles, it roars, it goes as good if not better than almost anything similar out there, and it looks great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts