Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'd like to jack up my 800A but I'm not sure where to place the jack. It's a regular motorcycle jack with rubber pads, but I'm still not sure of where to place it or from which side to go under the bike.

Thanks in advance, Ed

·
Registered
201 Posts
Without going into too much detail Ed, I am assuming you have the standard-type of motorcycle jack (with 2 rubber arms that raise the motorcycle, between the wheels, equally). If so, the best side to place the jack is on the right (as you sit on the bike - opposite of the side stand side). Sometimes, you will have to stand the bike upright, to get the jack fully under it. This can be done by a helper (safest), or use of blocks under the side stand, then raise the jack up ( carefully!).
The "Belly" of the engine lays between the frame rails of the bike. On some, it doesn't hang below the rails. On others, the belly (crankcase) hangs low below the frame rails. What you do about that is up to you and your "comfort level".
It personally don't like to jack up the bike using the engine case as part of the jacking point. I don't like the idea of stressing the aluminum crankcase. I feel it is best if you try to straddle the engine between the rubber pads, or to make some sort of a "saddle" for the frame rails, so you don't have to jack on the aluminum engine crankcase. This can be done with a purchased saddle, a home-made steel saddle, or small blocks of wood, etc. I like to strap the bike to the jack, once I have the bike raised. Remember to adjust the straps, if you jack up or down, once they're in place. Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts