Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Long 1st post but happy reading...!)

Hello the forum...I've been lurking a bit, just learning how the forum works, and have now become a new member.

I've recently made the switch from "sport" riding to something a little different...the last 2 bikes being Ducati Monsters (M800 and S2R1000). This 2009 900SE is actually my 2nd Vulcan, the 1st being a Vulcan 500 oh-so-many years ago.

I made the decision to switch mainly after one...<ahem>..."spirited" ride on the Duc and I couldn't move for 2 days...

I haven't ridden the new bike much because I'm having the most awful time finding proper-fitting goggles. I have absolutely no bridge on my nose so the normal riding glasses don't fit. After goggles #4, which still didn't let me see clearly due to the wind, I give up.

There I was, with goggles #4, eyes are watering, squinting to see, coming up to an intersection, and some numnuts decides to pull a u-turn right in front of me...and...have you ever seen a cruiser "backing it in"...so to speak...

Anyway, I might have to go back to my full-face (was hoping not to), or add a windshield (not really what I want to do either)...or maybe someone can suggest a good 3/4 helmet with visor...?

So here she is...I did the reflectoromy and mini-debadge...still of 2-minds on the tank badging... I had to get the floor boards and heel/toe shifter because I couldn't reach the pedals, me being a shortie at 5'4"...the floor boards are soooo comfortable, I don't think I'll ever own another bike without...!

See you on the forums...asking, learning, and contributing...!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hate to say this, but riding w/o glasses/goggles even if you have a windshield is not the best idea. I have a full windshield and still get hit in the face with "stuff" from time to time. A helmet with a visor will help, but much like the windshield, a visor only can let particles up under the edge that can get into your eyes. You might consider something like the HJC IS-33 with the flip-down sun shield built in and the pull down visor. That may help.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Welcome aboard Jammer!
Nice bike!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeppers, welcome. Now let the modding begin.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate to say this, but riding w/o glasses/goggles even if you have a windshield is not the best idea. I have a full windshield and still get hit in the face with "stuff" from time to time. A helmet with a visor will help, but much like the windshield, a visor only can let particles up under the edge that can get into your eyes. You might consider something like the HJC IS-33 with the flip-down sun shield built in and the pull down visor. That may help.

Actually I only said that I'm having trouble finding goggles that fit...I currently have 4 new goggles sitting in a box... I had thought they fit well in the store, but once on the road...it's eye-watering time... So the bike is sitting till I sort out what I'm going to do with the helmet/goggles situation.

After years of sport riding, the wind doesn't bother me as a whole. I just wish I can see...! A full-face helmet will allow that but I would like to enjoy the wind-in-face experience...which is why I am indeed considering a 3/4 helmet...

The HJC doesn't fit so it'll have to be something else...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome...! The modding has indeed begun...:D

Though I think I'll leave the stock pipes alone...for now...it let's me sneak out for late night rides...and I bought the SE solely because of the black pipes... ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We have tried several makes and models of 3/4 helmets thru the years... our favorite is the Vega Nitro Touring helmet with flip up shield or it comes with a visor that will replace the shield if and when you want to. The visor can be raised or lowered into several settings. Granted we only where them in the winter... but we do like them the best when we ride with 3/4 helmets.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hello,
beautiful bike I must say.

I own a full face and an open face and every time I put my open face on to go out, I think, Why risk my face, jaw and nose being smashed to pieces? I take it off and put on my full face and feel much more relaxed.
A bit less comfort for a lot more piece of mind

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a Bell Mag 8 Rally Black/Orange, it matches the 09SE nicely. Good fitting versatile helmet. I also have a full face and a Polo. I must admit the Polo proves to have the best aerodynamics.

·
Registered
166 Posts
welcome to the forums .i tried the helmet an goggle way until a big juicy splated me in the mouth,went back the shoei full face
HA HA HA...GROSS! Yeah I have been wondering about that. On my sportbike I had lots of grasshoppers explode on my shield...I imagine that would hurt on your skin. I think with the cruiser I will mostly be bombing around town. I may get a full face for the highway though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've always worn a full-face, and my present lid is a modular. When sitting at a red light in heavy traffic it's sure nice to be able to flip up the front and get the extra air. They do look kind of goofy whe they're open, though. But on the flip side they're a lot warmer in the spring and fall when riding to work at 5 in the morning.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Love my half helmet... but I also love a windshield... got tired of eat'n bugs many years ago.... only reason we wear 3/4 helmets with shields is for cold night winter riding... that and neopreme face mask will keep ya warm well into the teens.!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Agree on this one-bugs have a bad habit of getting trapped behind a windshield, and pebbles sometimes pop up in odd ways.

I use a yellow tinted pair of goggles that I got in the safety department of the Czech equivalent of Home Depot. Cheap, makes everything look happy, and an extra layer of protection for your precious and irreplaceable eyes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not wanting to open a debate on the merits of 1/2 vs 3/4 vs full helmets. It's a personal decision.

I still have my full face helmet and will use it on any long distance riding. For now, until I find goggles that actually fit my face, I'll probably be considering a 3/4 w/visor.

Thanks for the welcome...! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
where did you find the black sissy bar?? Been looking all over and with how small that one is it looks pretty sharp on the bike full time. I was trying to find a removable one but like I said yours looks good.. let me know

·
Registered
65 Posts
Helmets are one of the big Debate items. It's all very personal.
I have had a bunch of helmets ranging in price from 29.00 all the way to 600.00
My Favorite is the Vega Summitt II Modular. http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit2.html
Ive had 3 different colors for 3 Different Bikes. I love being able to flip it up for a quick roadside drink or Gassing up. They are pretty inexpensive. I think around 140 bux.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts