Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People:
I've had my Vaquero for almost 3 years, it has 22500 miles. I was coming from a VTX 1800, I felt the difference in acceleration but got used to it. This weekend I rented a HD Electra Glide, which has a very similar engine (103 ci, 1687cc). It also had a Rineheart muffler (weird for a rental). Anyway, this is the first time I ride a HD. The vibration was awful, I thought that the engine was about to stall, I kept applying the throttle until finally I got used to it. But accelerating was a different story, the engine was so smooth and powerful. Could not believe the difference in acceleration. Then I returned it and got back to my Vaquero. I kept thinking of the difference, I thought that maybe I'm too shy with the throttle or maybe the "digital throttle" won't open the butterfly so much. So I tried to accelerate hard and the acceleration was better (still not the same) but the engine is very rough, after 3000 RPM it vibrates too much and there's a flat spot.
So I was wondering if the Ivan's mod fixes this, I've been thinking for a while about the mod, the problem I have is I don't want to be without the bike for a week, I use it for my daily commute.

thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
From what I understand shaky low RPMs and smooth high RPMs has always been a signature trait of most full sized modern Harleys. Flashing your ECU will help the engine be more responsive and run smoother but I doubt it will be as smooth on higher RPMs as a rubber mounted Glide.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had some issues with my nomad 1700 so I traded it in on a 13 Electra glide classic. It has a lot more go then that nomad would ever have. I am sure I will find issues with the hd as well but so far so good. They say the new motors in the hd do not vibrate as much. I personally do not know have not road one yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the answers. I'll probably do the Ivan's flash. I'm happy with my bike, the only two issues I have are the acceleration and some handling. I don't like how it handles sometimes, I feel that is missing some grip. I'll try with radials next time I change tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts