Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been reading the forums here for close to a month now. I know the reflash from Ivan is highly regarded. Is there a way to know if the flash was previously performed on a bike I bought used?

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is no way the previous owner wouldn't mention that as a selling point. It's like not saying bike has brand new tires...

So, I've been reading the forums here for close to a month now. I know the reflash from Ivan is highly regarded. Is there a way to know if the flash was previously performed on a bike I bought used?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was bought used at a dealer. They new surprisingly little about it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
One easy tell tale sign that it was done is when you start it up cold and it surges up and down on the RPM's.
That doesn't sound like a good thing if it is surging up and down at idle...sounds more like a glitch in the programming or what happens with an intake leak. Do all reflashed Vulcan 1700s do that or just yours?

If it is cold, it should pick a slightly high idle speed, but then gradually drop down to a normal idle as it warms up.
Or, am I misinterpreting what you mean by "surging"?

·
Registered
701 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good thing if it is surging up and down at idle...sounds more like a glitch in the programming or what happens with an intake leak. Do all reflashed Vulcan 1700s do that or just yours?

If it is cold, it should pick a slightly high idle speed, but then gradually drop down to a normal idle as it warms up.
Or, am I misinterpreting what you mean by "surging"?

It is a glitch to a point. Ivan wasn't able to stop the surging once he added timing and fuel to the lower rpms at start up. Now that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It is the only quirk in the programming and it goes away after a minute once the bike warms up. It has not created any problems with the way the bike runs. It had to do with some of the deep programing from kawasaki for the bike to pass EPA regulations.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is a glitch to a point. Ivan wasn't able to stop the surging once he added timing and fuel to the lower rpms at start up. Now that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It is the only quirk in the programming and it goes away after a minute once the bike warms up. It has not created any problems with the way the bike runs. It had to do with some of the deep programing from kawasaki for the bike to pass EPA regulations.
And the benefits FAR outweigh this one issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One easy tell tale sign that it was done is when you start it up cold and it surges up and down on the RPM's.
Mine is not flashed and is doing it for about 1 minute on a cold start.

So, either the 2015 models in germany has Ivan's tune stock from the factory, or it is not a sign.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes, this is not a problem for me at all. Mine only revs up to 1600 RPM's and then settles back down. In the winter with 40° mornings it would go to 1800 Rpm's but still not a problem for me. I will take this "Glitch" any time compared to how the bike ran before the reflash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts