Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
This is from another forum, but this is how you can tell.
The whole number on my ECU is FUO59C4B, and it is current.

·
Registered
642 Posts
First, I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but couldn't fins an answer so here goes:
I own the EU/Sweden spec VN900 (2009) as you may or may not know, it comes with O2 sensors in the exhaust. Also if you look at parts# the US ECU and "mine" have different parts#. Is there anything else besides the O2-sensors that differ? A Yamaha dealer mechanic warned me that flashing a EU-ECU with US firmware might brick the ECU/Bike rendering it useless. anyone know?
I am also getting conflicting info re. the flash, some say it's "generic" it doesn't matter what intake/exhaust config you're running, you get the same map/mods. Some say you have to be specific about how your bike is set up, like mine has Vance and Hines Twin slash staggereds and i am planning to get a Baron's XxX kit soon. Now, the exhaust alone shpuldn't be too much of a fuss for the ECU, but the intake is said to make a (compareatively) huge difference. I know from experience with carburetted bikes that you can get away with replacing the exhaust without rejetting, but even a K&N in stock airbox affect performance negatively unless you rejet. I tried just for the hell of it on my VL800, but it sneezed and coughed with K&N/stock jetting.. *
My point is, it would surprise me if the same flash suits a VN900 running stock everything AND one that has free flowing exhaust and a hypercharger or similar big capacity intake..
Contact Ivan, with the serial number on your ECU. He'll soon tell you what he can & can't do with it. He's flashed my ECU without issue, and mine's not a US spec bike. Here's a link for you to send him a PM. I discussed many things with Ivan that way before and after I had mine done, he's very accommodating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your input!
I got the bright idea to search for Ivan's Facebook page, and got hold of him via that.
Unfortunately it's a no go for me. Wiring harness/ECU is different (that would put a stop to fitting a US spec ECU on the bike as well.
Apparently the Yamaha guy knows his sh...tuff :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts