Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my ECU for my 2018 Voyager with 0 km on it yesterday.

I cannot seem to find any instructions on how to re-install it. I believe there is some sort of procedure to get rid of error codes or something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also sent mine to IVAN this past week, but I rode the bike for one season through the break-in 3000 mile process and then some. I spoke to him directly on the telephone, and asked about the reinstall. He said he sends out the initial start-up instructions along with the return.
I have watch quite a few YouTube videos from people who have purchased the Re-flash, and everyone swears by it.
Mostly saying a big "Thank You Ivan"
You should be OK, but I have to ask, what do you have to compare the upgrade to, because you have "zero" km on the bike?

ToolMan5454

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I test drove a 2012 and found throttle response at low maneuvers twitchy. I've read and watched many, many reveiws and comments are the bike is under performed without the Ivanization.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
**UPDATE** I Just got my ECU back today, followed the re-install instructions and took the bike out for the test run.
I am super happy with the results!! She is a totally different bike now. It was not just a re-install and turn the key. Depending on whether you already had a fuel tuner on your bike or if it was stock, there are a couple final steps.

Mine is a bone stock 2018 Voyager 1700 ABS.
Here is how it went for me.........
I replaced the ECU, then (because I took it off before removing the ECU) re-connected the Negative Battery Cable.
Then I started the bike.
As the instructions stated, there was an error code (ERROR 98) on the dash, along with zero response when I twisted the throttle.
I let it sit and idle for about 30 seconds, then turned the key off.
For me the only extra step was, I had to remove both pieces of the right side cover, (to get to the O2-sensor plug) and disconnected the O2-sensor, as the instructions told me to do.
Then all I had to do is (once again) disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 seconds, and then reconnect it.

Hope this helps

ToolMan5454

·
Premium Member
32 Posts

For me the only extra step was, I had to remove both pieces of the right side cover, (to get to the O2-sensor plug) and disconnected the O2-sensor, as the instructions told me to do.
Then all I had to do is (once again) disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 seconds, and then reconnect it

ToolMan5454
So the modification is to not use the O2 Sensor reading? So the connector to the O2 sensor is just disconnected and the ECU is now ignoring the feedback? So how has your bike improved? What are some of the improvements? Please tell us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JinglePJones, I am still unsure if I was supposed to leave the O2 sensor unplugged. I plan on calling Ivan to make sure on Monday.
But I am assuming since the bike didn't throw any error codes due to the sensor being unplugged, that there is some type of override in the parameters of the re-flash.
Now as for how the bike has improved: dramatically improved throttle response, regardless of RPM or which gear you're in. The factory settings made the bike super sluggish, especially at lower RPM, You had to be up around 2,000 RPM before you could feel any get-up-and-go.

I was really close to trading this bike in for something else, because I was so disappointed in the overall performance.
It's a great feeling knowing I won't have to lose my butt on a trade deal any longer.

ToolMan5454

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Thanks for answering that Toolman. I really appreciate it. A bit of an MC rookie and trying not to spend money where I don’t need to. The details help in the decision making process. Cheers! And keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to call Ivan to figure out how to disconnect the 02 on my 2016....his instructions for doing so are *lacking* on the instruction sheet he sent when I did mine in 2017. Easy once I figured out what to do. I Ivanized at the 2000 mile mark. I now have 15K miles. All I can say is WOW.......Ivanizing is the best upgrade I will ever do on my bone stock bike. The bike is just a dog with stock ECU considering it is a 103 HP engine. Ivanizing wakes it up....and it runs cooler to boot. It is a no brainer. And the radiator fan motor broke at the 3000 mile mark.....no issue with having it replaced under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts