Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.....count me as one more very satisfied Ivan's customer. I got the ECU back mid morning and got it back together for a 25 mile shakedown ride. Here are my initial impressions:

Bone stock 2016 purchased in January....2000 miles when Ivanized.

Ivan's instructions say to disconnect the 02 Sensor if bike is 2015 or higher. And that is all it says. I had to do a little Googling and then call Ivan to determine that I had to take the two side panels off to get to the connector. Ivan suggested zip tying the bottom connector to something back there so it does not flop around...which I did.

Otherwise easy to put i back together. Did the ignition key on/off for 5 seconds and then disconnected the neg. battery connection for 5 seconds as Ivan suggests.

Bike started right up. I could tell that indeed the idle does now go up a and down a few times for the first 30-45 seconds after starting. But then settles down.

Just going out of my subdivision I could tell that the pops and bangs on deceleration are GONE.

I headed out to the I-5 freeway onramp that is very close to my house. Heading down the onramp I could tell right away that there is more power and and is smooth. I could also sense the dramatic difference in the throttle.....VERY RESPONSIVE! Like it supposed to feel and act is the best I can describe.

On the freeway, I could tell that the classic 'lag' when more throttle applied at speed (like for passing) is GONE. A flick of the throttle and the bike responds lightening quick and with authority. And GONE is the need to downshift to get some more RPM's for passing etc......even in 6th gear OD! That is a dramatic difference.

Also on the freeway the bike just does not seem to be working hard like it did before. A newfound energy and positive feel that just was not there before. Does not seem as vibrating.....much more smooth. The bike is not working so hard and as a result I probably am not either.

Bike also does run cooler. The temp gauge stayed just a tick below the straight up middle one the freeway. When I exited and got in stop and go, the needle went to the other side of middle, but not like 3/4 over like it did pre-Ivan.

And I was not aware of the heat on the right side from the engine that has always been there.

Overall, with just a few miles on it, the Ivaniztion has exceeded my expectations. This is now the bike I thought I way buying with almost 104 cubic inches.

The one thing I did notice is that after it was warmed up, the idle is a bit lower....maybe 875 to 900. It was a good 950 before. I will drive it a bit more and if it stays that way will drag out the owners manual and refresh on how to increase the idle via the Mode switches.

Overall......I am glad that I did not wait to get Ivanized. 2000 miles was enough for me experience all the OEM symptoms that Ivanizing cures. Thanks to all here who have shared their Ivan Experience! It is the Real Deal.:grin2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent!

I was planning on sending mine off but I had to get tires first. Hopefully next month I'll have mine done.

Do you have any other mods or is the bike still stock other than then flash?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've just put my re-Ivanized (flash V2) ECU back in my bike and noticed the idle down low as well. I'm wondering whether disconnecting the battery has reset the idle setting? Let's have a look...

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only other things I have bought since purchase in January is MIrror Extenders, 16 inch Slipstreamer windscreen and Kawasaki Pillow Top Touring Seat (dealer game me 30% any Kawasaki accessories when I bought so it was like $100). I took off the Kuryakin highway pegs from my V Star that I traded in and put those on the Voyager. .

I did go add +50 RPM and how idling below 1000 RPM.....somewhere around 950.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I now have a Power Commander V that came on the bike when I bought it (used) I want to Ivanize (Thanks to auwing1978 AKA Bruce) so can I just leave the Power Commander installed (its REALLY DEEPLY installed! especially with no instructions to follow to reverse install) is there some way I can disable the Power Commander or will the Ivan flash overide the power cammander, does ANYBODY know?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I can't believe the difference in the throttle response. It is immediate and caught me by surprise the first time I rode after reinstalling the ecu. Wow!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I can't believe the difference in the throttle response. It is immediate and caught me by surprise the first time I rode after reinstalling the ecu. Wow!
If you're flash is anything like mine, be cautious with the throttle in 2nd when turning to a new street or you'll soon be picking bark from your teeth.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
If you're flash is anything like mine, be cautious with the throttle in 2nd when turning to a new street or you'll soon be picking bark from your teeth.
Oops, I hate it when that happens. But you are right, the bike is a beast.:devil2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gilligan, I would call Ivan and ask the way he explained it to me is their now is two computers on your bike and one tellsl the other one to do this and then the other one says no i dont like what you want he told me to just have the flash done and not put a power commander or what ever on. he will answer it for you and i bet your not the first bike to have a power system on as well.

I got to take my 1700 trike out for a good 200 mile trip and it was in the hills love the power and the low running temp, mpg went up to 36 from 32 so I am happy with the whole process, best money I have spent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got the power commander off (after 3 hours of digging and removing the Thermostat mount) so I could release the injector spliced in plugs and I hope to be Ivanized and riding by this Saturday!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Ivanized 2.0 Completed

Well Ivanized 2.0 has been completed :grin2:. Took a friend up to Ivan's to get his Voyager done for the 1st time and got my upgrade. 1 1/2hrs ride up, 5 hour ride back. Very Pleased!!!! Thanks Ivan.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
For those who go to his place, do your arrange a time before going, or just ride in? Would think calling ahead would be the right thing to do.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
For those who go to his place, do your arrange a time before going, or just ride in? Would think calling ahead would be the right thing to do.
Yes call. This way he knows your coming and you know he will be there. it took less than 20 minutes for him to do both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with everyone else on this forum, Had my 2015 Voyager flashed and cannot believe the difference. Everything they say about this mod is true. You will not be disappointed, riding in the Georgia mountains now is far more enjoyable.
Just my 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
2.0 upgrade

Whats the 2.o upgrade do,may have to call and send mine back this winter.
According to Ivan it will run cooler, idle lower & on the way home it seemed to have more torque thru all the gears. Plus it didn't cost anything for me. obviously you would have the mailing cost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just Ivanized and about all I can add is 3 WOW's and about 20 HOLY SHIT's? To what everybody else has already said, Feels like enough snap in OD that there is torque room for a 7th gear. No more popping from my Vance & Hines Slash Cut slip ons, It sounds like the pipes have a lot more bark to them now, with my Power Commander it always smelled like it was running rich with the map I had on it, that smell is gone I will have to get somebody to ride behind me an see what they smell. The bike feels smoother even when the pipes are barking. Slow speed is going to take some getting used to 1st gear parking lot stuff seems to be a little more jerky and I read somebody else saying careful with 2nd gear when turning, whack the gas when turning and it feels like it might break loose, but I think this is just going to take a couple more miles than this 20 mile ride review I had time for tonight, but overall I think just like everybody else Im gonna be glad I finally pulled the trigger!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I just Ivanized and about all I can add is 3 WOW's and about 20 HOLY SHIT's? To what everybody else has already said, Feels like enough snap in OD that there is torque room for a 7th gear. No more popping from my Vance & Hines Slash Cut slip ons, It sounds like the pipes have a lot more bark to them now, with my Power Commander it always smelled like it was running rich with the map I had on it, that smell is gone I will have to get somebody to ride behind me an see what they smell. The bike feels smoother even when the pipes are barking. Slow speed is going to take some getting used to 1st gear parking lot stuff seems to be a little more jerky and I read somebody else saying careful with 2nd gear when turning, whack the gas when turning and it feels like it might break loose, but I think this is just going to take a couple more miles than this 20 mile ride review I had time for tonight, but overall I think just like everybody else Im gonna be glad I finally pulled the trigger!
Have to agree. Turnaround time to Western Australia was 2 weeks & 3 days with overall cost of approx. USD500. My 2012 Nomad is stock apart from K&N air filter, Ray's throttle mod & Vance & Hines slipons. Decel popping gone, smoother, stronger & cooler. Had reservations for a long time about sending my ECU thru international mail but WOW, why did I wait so long!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few more Ivanization thoughts after a 400 trip down to the WA coast this week:

Cruise control is better performing. Reason is that post-Ivan, the bike behaves so much better at a lower RPM. Now I can run 2000 to 2200 RPM in 5th/OD without a lugging feeling. And if I need instant power, a flick of the wrist is all it takes.

Passing is effortless! We encountered a few RV's on 55-60 mph roads going slow. No need to downshift to pass in any gear and again...instant power and speed.

Part and parcel with the cruise is better gas mileage. The Average MPG meter said 38,5 mpg for entire trip. We filled up in Long Beach WA yesterday morning and filled up again 137 miles later in Belfair WA. It took 3.2 gallons....so not quite 43 miles per gallon. That was cruising along at speeds between 50 to 65.

It was high 70's and into the 80's yesterday afternoon. Cruising along below 65 mph, the temp gauge was just a tick below the middle mark. Going through towns it would go up to the first mark past middle but would return below middle mark after.
For last 30 miles home, we were doing 70 mph on Hwy 16. Temp then went to just a tick
past the middle mark on the temp gauge.

Noticeably gone is the sensation of heat coming from the right side of the bike. I did open the vents in the afternoon Did not notice any additional heat...but I use the highway pegs a lot on the road so my legs/feet are elevated.

Like everyone else, the bike RPM does go up and down a bit on cold startup. But settles down in a couple of minutes.

The bike did idle much lower post-Ivan. I first set the idle adj. up to +50 and then +100 after 2 days of Ivanization. On this trip when bike was warm, Idle was constant 950 rpm.

Kind of beating a dead horse, but $350 to Ivan results in a totally new bike....WOW factor performance compared to OEM. I am so glad I did not wait until winter to Ivanize.

Ride safe and often Y'all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts