Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in hearing from those who had their ECU flashed by Ivan then later added an air intake kit. We all know the ECU flash makes a huge difference in performance. I am wondering how much more performance adding an air kit would make after the ECU flash, not at the same time. I won't be getting my ECU flashed for a few more months and suspect I will not feel the need for an air kit afterward but am curious as to what those who did these upgrades separately experienced.

·
Registered
701 Posts
An intake makes a world of difference on the bike, especially with Ivan's flash. It will run better and cooler.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Check with Ivan for info on your specific setup. But if I remember correctly he has 2 flash versions for the 1700, 1 for the stock air box and 1 for air kits.

I did the flash and an air kit at the same time. The difference is night and day on my 2015. Improvements across the board.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am waiting for my ECU to come back today. I spoke with Ivan Monday and he told me that you will only get 4-8 extra horsepower by adding the air kit and that will only be above 3500-4000 rpm. I don't really ride in that range much so I opted not to get it. There may be other benefits that you could look into though.

Check out the page for the V1700 on Ivan's page. Lots of graphs at the bottom that will show performance with/without the ECU flash and other addons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am waiting for my ECU to come back today. I spoke with Ivan Monday and he told me that you will only get 4-8 extra horsepower by adding the air kit and that will only be above 3500-4000 rpm. I don't really ride in that range much so I opted not to get it. There may be other benefits that you could look into though.

Check out the page for the V1700 on Ivan's page. Lots of graphs at the bottom that will show performance with/without the ECU flash and other addons.
This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Knowing that, I will not be spending the money on an air kit. I'm shifting by that point anyhow. I'll have to go view those dyno charts and see how they compare to the modded Victory I had a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Knowing that, I will not be spending the money on an air kit. I'm shifting by that point anyhow. I'll have to go view those dyno charts and see how they compare to the modded Victory I had a couple of years ago.
Sounds good. And don't worry, Ivan will talk to you at length about your riding style and what you need/don't need.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A 5 - 10% horsepower gain from a $200 air kit is Cheap. Seldom you'll buy H.P. that cheaply. Course if you won't use it, might as well not pay for it.

I use it every chance I get :grin2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A 5 - 10% horsepower gain from a $200 air kit is Cheap. Seldom you'll buy H.P. that cheaply. Course if you won't use it, might as well not pay for it.

I use it every chance I get :grin2:
I came from a bike where I was taking 35 MPH turns at 80 MPH. (not the afore-mentioned Victory) I am no stranger to using power :) And yes I know power doesn't equate to handling but the kinds of bikes capable of such things all have considerable power.

I will not be spending much time above 4000 RPMs on this bike but when the time comes, I'll see what Ivan has to say.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Every bike I've owned or ridden has been fun to run through the gears. That stopped being true when I bought the 2015 Voyager. In stock form this thing is a dog, a big heavy dog. It handles great for a big heavy bike but the acceleration is yawn worthy. After doing the big-3 the power is acceptable, nothing more. I knew this going in and I don't regret any of my decisions.

Maybe some day Yamaha will build a new 1700 V-4 Venture and I could have everything, torque, horsepower, comfort and leg/foot room. Until then the Voyager is the best thing I can afford.

Do what works for you. The flash will turn the 1700 around and seriously increase the fun factor. Exhaust and air kits will increase the "fun" even more but they both increase noise levels of the bike. Half the people I ride with have loud pipes so a little extra noise wasn't a deal breaker.

Have fun!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Since we're in the subject of intakes, how much of a restriction is the air horn inside the air filter housing? I know on my old 98 Shadow 750, the air horn was a major restriction, and I got sizable improvement in airflow when I removed it. Would I see an increase in airflow. I would assume I would need an exhaust that flows a bit better as well.

I would just go with an aftermarket intake kit, but I really do like the looks of the stock filter housing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since we're in the subject of intakes, how much of a restriction is the air horn inside the air filter housing? I know on my old 98 Shadow 750, the air horn was a major restriction, and I got sizable improvement in airflow when I removed it. Would I see an increase in airflow. I would assume I would need an exhaust that flows a bit better as well.

I would just go with an aftermarket intake kit, but I really do like the looks of the stock filter housing.
Thunder Mfg makes an air kit that uses the stock Kawasaki covers. That's whats on my bike. I liked the stock cover look also.

https://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=352

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi-I have the Chuckster Big Air kit and have a Harley Extra Loud horn mounted on a bar where the air box was. I received the remapped ECU by Ivan tonight and have all of 10 miles on the bike. At 21,600 miles, it rides like a new motorcycle. I was amazed even after a short ride - cooler, smoother, more follow-through, more pep, better throttle response and does not lug in 4th and 5th. Not able to get up to OD speeds all I can say is WOW!

I sent it in on Monday and got it back today (Thursday). Ivan provides excellent customer service and a great product. Kawi - if you are listening - this is the way a 1700 should respond

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
How much difference in performance is there? I assume you have changed your exhaust as well?
I notice that in the image on the site, they show a 2000cc Vulcan instead of a 1700
Can't say how much difference the air kit made since I did the flash and air kit the same time. According to Ivan's dyno charts an air kit will add 5 to 10% HP, depending on the rest of your set-up. The impression I got from talking with Ivan is the exhaust isn't all that important on the 1700. But I'm sure a set of slip-ons or better will help top end acceleration. I've removed 2 plugs from each stock muffler and am happy with that. But most of my riding is with my wife and it's nice to talk to each other instead of yell at each other. If i rode alone I'm sure I'd have some slip-ons.

·
BOTM Winner, September 2016
41 Posts
Guys sorry still kind of new how do i get ahold of Ivan would love to get my ecu flashed instead of fuel processor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can't say how much difference the air kit made since I did the flash and air kit the same time. According to Ivan's dyno charts an air kit will add 5 to 10% HP, depending on the rest of your set-up. The impression I got from talking with Ivan is the exhaust isn't all that important on the 1700. But I'm sure a set of slip-ons or better will help top end acceleration. I've removed 2 plugs from each stock muffler and am happy with that. But most of my riding is with my wife and it's nice to talk to each other instead of yell at each other. If i rode alone I'm sure I'd have some slip-ons.
Well, since I do not really need more top end for the riding I do, I am guessing I could just save the $400 and apply it to other goodies. (Such as getting Celestia IVANIZED that much sooner lol)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well, since I do not really need more top end for the riding I do, I am guessing I could just save the $400 and apply it to other goodies. (Such as getting Celestia IVANIZED that much sooner lol)
Think that would be all I would do,since I'm a leave it stock kinda a guy:nerd:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. The flash really helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts