Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, maybe not 90, but way up there. "They" say after 2 or 3 years of owning and riding a motorcycle that you become overconfident and less attentive to the dangers of motorcycling, if you haven't scared yourself too much already. The same can be said of your perceived knowledge of anything bike related if you've had a "little" experience under your belt.

I speak of the tendency to challenge some statements and beliefs of more experienced riders, even some older, grizzled types with eons of riding experience with umpteen types and models of two wheeled machines. I'm guilty of that tendency, and found there's usually only two likely outcomes; after an exchange, either go hide in a fool's corner or continue to defend a bonehead opinion, which only lengthens the time in a fool's jail. I'm familiar with both, occasionally.

But dang'it, it's hard to be a pup again.

But what's the point of this post you ask? I don't have the faintest, but if you want to know about ....., well, here's a good analogy, so step inside & have a seat....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LI7ndOcGU

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
But dang'it, it's hard to be a pup again.
But what's the point of this post you ask? I don't have the faintest, but if you want to know about ....., well, here's a good analogy, so step inside & have a seat....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LI7ndOcGU
its not a whole lot different than packing wheel bearings with a big can of bearing grease.. cept for the smell!.. just stick your fingers in there and get a good glob of that brown stuff and then work it in all around them raceways and be sure the bearings and keepers are well packed immersed in that lube.. has about the same consistency.. cept for the smell!.. and you get it all over everything you touch and under yor fingernails.. specially the smell!..
do this often nuff and you become hardened to the task and it don't bother you none such... except for the smell!.. that never goes away. poncho

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have no idea what this thread is all about but some things require a lot of thought and some don't.. once you got that figured out you are good to go.........
Now as Nike says "Just do it!" or Larry the cable guy "GITERDONE!!!!!"

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
This is the forum gods reminding you this a motorcycle site.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Experience isn't everything. Plenty of people have been practicing the WRONG way of doing things for years. I'm tickled when some old-timer biker tries counter-steering for the first time and realizes over all those years, they never truly were in control of their motorcycle.

I read a statistic once that the biggest 'accident period' was between 6 months and 2 years of riding experience. So, when a rider has enough experience to be complacent, but not quite enough experience to be proficient. It makes sense that many insurance companies give a discount after 3 years of riding experience. My insurance company actually considers the MSF course equivalent to 3 years riding experience, based on the data they have about how often MSF graduates are in accidents, compared to the 'control group'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts