Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I did the redneck air mod today, I must say that the guy that designed the air intake for the 900 should be fired the air flow makes about 4 twist and turns and the intake is in the worst possible spot. The one question Ihave for anyone who has done this mod is did you block off the old hole or just leave it open?? I also have V&h exhaust and was wondering if the air flow is improved enough to warrent a change on the fi2000. Ill have to see after a few miles of riding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just did the mod too, thinking it would increase gas mileage. I have an all stock set up and I noticed a little bit reduced gas mileage on the first two tanks after I did it. I had left the rubber snorkel in there from the original hole, so I opened the air box up again and removed it. I don't know if that made the difference, but gas mileage was back up to normal and even a little higher after that. So I would recommend removing the snorkel and leaving the original hole open. To be honest I can't see how that made the difference, but somehow it did. I even tried to make sure I didn't "get on it" anymore than usual during those first two tanks. I really didn't notice any performance changes from the mod, but the exhaust note got louder by a smidge, which was a nice benefit.

FWIW, I commute to work so the engine load is pretty constant (about 70-75 mph most of the way), fill up at the same station every time, and fill up at the same time of day, so my gas mileage numbers are pretty consistent. I was getting about 48mpg stock, then 42 after the mod for the first two tanks, and now about 50-52 after taking that snorkel out. When I ride the twisties at an average of 50mph I can get close to 60mpg!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i relocated the rubber snorkel to the new hole just under the idel adjustment and left the original hole open but with no snorkel, i have a complete air cleaner assembly as a spare so i was thinking of putting the spare snorkel back in as well, but after reading what you said i may just leave it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also relocated the snorkel to the front and left the old hole open. Seen no dramatic change in gas mileage with mod.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My job today was to remove the stripped out piece of aluminum foil thay call a screw from the filter assembley. That turned into an intake modification. I was a redneck before this happened though. I wondered the same about the rear hole, closing it off would keep the air cooler, I would think. It may also help with the possible RAM air affect.

My next job is to convert the filter to a K&N with an old filter. All of this why I save up for a Barons.

I took a short 45 mile run after the mod. The exhaust sound has changed, you can hear the intake pulling air and the throttle response is different. All for the better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
vn900 redneck airbox mod

I'm considering doing this mod as well, but wondering if I need to get a fuel processor (fi2000) or not????
I should mention that I have partially De-Baffled the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
382 Posts
they make them from the factory to be quiet (notice no airflow into engine, lots of turns), to fit in said space (which it does ok), and keep the epa happy (warm air=you can run leaner. This should mean better fuel economy, but with the engine making less power at x throttle @ y rpm, you'll need more throttle to cruise with that hot intake air over the cool air, so that hurts your economy)

·
Registered
42 Posts
they make them from the factory to be quiet (notice no airflow into engine, lots of turns), to fit in said space (which it does ok), and keep the epa happy (warm air=you can run leaner. This should mean better fuel economy, but with the engine making less power at x throttle @ y rpm, you'll need more throttle to cruise with that hot intake air over the cool air, so that hurts your economy)
Thanks for the info it gives a little better understanding on the fuel economy issue. But I'm still wondering if I will be at risk of running too lean if I do this Redneck mod to my airbox with the partial de-baffling, that I have already done????? Maybe I'm being a bit of a chicken??? lol Any more info you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested, I made my own intake with a round K&N air filter. See link below for the How-To. It is an option sort of different from cutting up the stock air box. One of my biggest gripes about the stock box (other than the twisted drinking straw air flow) is that it says 900 on the side. You know 900cc is plenty power to haul my butt around. But you don't see any Honda Civics out there with a chrome 1.3L badge on the side. If you don't have a big engine, why would you shout about it in chrome. Just saying.

Dog-Bowl Intake

·
Registered
222 Posts
For those who have done this how did you align your new hole on the front end? I have my intake apart and cut out a paper template of the original hole, but there is not enough space for a hole that size. So, did you just center it on the space the best you could?

Thanks,
James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts