Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the bike new back in April, I made sure to ask as part of the setup to adjust that rear shock all the way up to 7. I'm a big guy, wife rides with a lot, luggage...

2500 miles later, I've been getting jarred a LOT from bumps in the rode, highway just felt wrong somehow, ride just wasn't great.

Got a Mustang seat, it helped a lot, but still was off. Figured I shoulda just got a bigger bike, kinda frustrated, preparing to lose my ass in trade in and they joys of selling off all the aftermarket stuff on ebay or something...yay.

I was reading through the various threads seeing if there was any advice I could find and came across a couple thing, so went and checked 'em out.

Tire pressure was way, way low. I didn't realize they set them that low at the dealer. Pulled the sidecover, and saw that they never changed the shock.

So, put some air in the tires and headed to the shop. A few more psi and the ride was already a LOT better. Got there and let them know that something got lost in translation when I bought it and could they just fix it. Coulda done it myself, but it was the principle thing :)

While they were doing it, I was chatting with my sales guy about how I was thinking of moving to a bigger bike, but wanted to ride some first. Asked him to gimme a call when he had a 1700 something up for demo. He pointed to a black Vaquero and 5 minutes later I was out on the road putting it through it's paces.

The ride home...I was looking for bumps and stuff to hit because I wasn't feeling them much at all. Things I had run over before on the same road that felt like a sledgehammer to the butt now...nuttin'

So, thanks to the forum here, I knew what to look for and got it fixed. Also learned yet another life lesson about assuming things. I hate those...

Thankee guys and gals! Safe journeys!

·
Registered
450 Posts
ya that I'm a bit lost too... Did you get the Vaquero? (I test rode it and loved it/ but am cheap and just had my first child.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, just test rode the Vaquero while they were taking care of my bike, then rode mine home and 'it was like a brand new ride'.

I didn't realize it came across unclear. Apologies.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Amazing what a shock adjustment and air can do....
Impressions on the Vaquero?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shorty windshield sucked on the highway. Overall a good ride, great power, good handling, love the 6th gear. First time I've rode anything with a fairing, and was pleasantly surprised. The radio and cruise was neat too.

Since my bike is now doing what it shoulda been doing all along (still wanna kick a service guy), and I had to replace a car my search for a bigger touring bike is on hold. I was way leaning towards a Victory, but now that I've finally rode a 1700 Kaw, I think I'll probably stick with the brand I've always had. Very similar performance, I think the Kaw had just a touch more get up & go, not to mention a several thousand dollar price difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts