Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I just worked out a plan for a week long motor cycle trip. Both children are going to bible camp from Sunday to Sunday in June. I introduced my wife to the documentaries Long Way around and the long way down. She loved it, maybe because of Ewan. We decided to tent camp.
A million thing have popped in to my head. Are we going to ride to a central placed in the smokies and ride a different direction each day. Are we going to roam around the east coast? Maybe a long ride camp for a few day then ride back? Each one has it ups and downs. My mind races everyday thinking about the trip.
I did a 700 miles solo test camping ride last weekend just because i had to scratch that itch. We have about everything we need for the road except for a few another waterproof and a few odds and ends.

The bike- 2006 Vulcan 1600 42k miles. its only needs
1. Front tire
2 oil change just before

I have the 1000 miles in 24 hrs under my belt. Farmville, NC to New Orleans last year this time of year.

My wife's longest ride was about 500 round trip on my 1998 Honda VT1100 ace tourer. She did well.
Everyday i hit the web and look at websites for rides, videos of rides stories of rides.
I would of spent a couple of 1000 dollars already if i could have.
I need a gopro to record the trip
REI is my best friend cuz that have everything cool
I need maps.....I need list...check of sheets.....I need whatever
Ha....I need to calm down I have everything I need.
Then what happens if this ride goes great Whats next?
1. America 4 corners
2. route 66
3 Alaska
Anyhow I just needed to talk to some bikers

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My wife and I do a trip each summer to see family, In., Oh., Pa., & this year N.C. & Fl. Are added in. This year we doing 2 separate weeks for them, but will have 1 leg each week between 650-700 miles in a day. Used to do it on the 800b, minus the Fl. leg of trip.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fireman,
If you go to the Smokies check out the Kickstand Lodge. It s a motorcycle campground in stecoah gap NC. You can pitch your tent or use one of theirs. They also have cabins (rustic) if you like. Ive got 30 someodd states under my belt and this is the coolest place Ive been. Its central to Deals Gap, Cherohala skyway,Blueridge pkwy,Nantahala Gorge. Tell them Jimmy D sent ya.
You wont be dissappointed.
Jimmy D

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Fireman
Glad you guys are fixing on getting out for a bike tour. Good for you. Go and do it.

You've mention you want to record the trip with GoPro. Have you used GoPro from the bike? If not I can share some experience with you. I've been playing around extensively with the technology in preparation to our 3,500 smiles bike trip. There are some gadgets available for it but there are also some pitfalls with it. Thanks to Amazon return policy I figured out that not all that glitters is gold. ;)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Fireman
Glad you guys are fixing on getting out for a bike tour. Good for you. Go and do it.

You've mention you want to record the trip with GoPro. Have you used GoPro from the bike? If not I can share some experience with you. I've been playing around extensively with the technology in preparation to our 3,500 smiles bike trip. There are some gadgets available for it but there are also some pitfalls with it. Thanks to Amazon return policy I figured out that not all that glitters is gold. ;)
I would be interested in a review of the gopro, with good and bad, am sure others are also. Things that would concern me are battery life and time to recharge, can it be run off of bike power, How well does it filter wild noise, how much record time before you have to download. I hear they make a remote for it incase you mount it out of reach and want to control it while riding, start/stop recording. How about mounting options, I heard the engine guard is good on the Voyager if mounted close to the frame.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I would be interested in a review of the gopro, with good and bad, am sure others are also. Things that would concern me are battery life and time to recharge, can it be run off of bike power, How well does it filter wild noise, how much record time before you have to download. I hear they make a remote for it incase you mount it out of reach and want to control it while riding, start/stop recording. How about mounting options, I heard the engine guard is good on the Voyager if mounted close to the frame.
Greetings @Rick.
I do not want to hijack this thread. So I've answered here instead:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2041977#post2041977

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will put the kick stand on the list. ....I am playing with the hero 3+ silver. I put it on my boys 90cc Yamaha as he was playing in the dirt and mud Saturday. I missed a few shots because of not turning it on. I need more patience for the software. I am stilll amazed how small the camera is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts