Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may recall just over a year ago my wife and I hit a deer on our bike, what a fun time that was...

Anyway, after the repairs were done last year the bike still never seemed right. The left engine guard was still pulled back a bit and the tank bib and ignition trim wouldn't fit right for life or money. After numerous trips in and out of the dealership and being told it was as good as new I got extremely busy with work and didn't have the time to continue my frequent trips in to have it looked at again and again and again.... so I basically parked it.

Fast forward to this spring and I ran into a friend of ours that works at the dealership and she told us there was a new service manager, and we should talk to him. A few days later I brought the bike back in and showed him and he agreed, something wasn't right and said they'd get it fixed. After it sat in the shop for a few days with them trying to get it "fixed" it was changed, not fixed or better but not right in different ways now. I again expressed my concerns and then proceeded to take it to 2 other mechanics, one is a Kawasaki dealership and the other is an auto body shop whose owner builds his own custom bikes, both said it should have a new frame, period.

I brought the bike back in, insurance said I needed to deal with the original shop to get it right since they did the work and were paid for it, and told them what I was told. Called the insurance adjuster and we all set a time to meet the following week.

Immediately, the adjuster saw it didn't "look" right, especially compared to the other Vaquero on the showroom floor, and asked the service manager what it needed to get it right. Service manager said if it were his bike he'd want a new frame. That's all it took for the adjuster to agree and then it was down to numbers.

Once the adjuster and dealership worked out the numbers, a frame was ordered and finally I was going to get my bike back, so I thought.

Just after the frame was ordered I got a call from the dealership telling me the frames were on backorder, as most everything seems to be from Kawasaki, and they weren't sure when we'd get a frame. As luck would have it, the got the order in in time and the last frame, of which Kawasaki in Cali only keeps 2 of at any given time, was coming to middle Tennessee for me, YAY!

Well, YAY didn't last too long. The frame arrived damaged :( and was refused. So now I was again put into the "back order" status for another Kawasaki part.

In the mean time my bike had basically been sitting with very little riding for a year, while I am still making payments and can't ride it. I'm also putting more miles on my truck and spending more on gas per week/month than I would if I could ride my bike. The whole situation was costing me enjoyment and money and I was getting pretty irritated.

After really pushing my service manager to see what's up and asking him to do whatever he could to get me the frame as quickly as possible I was finally told that the frame was being air freighted to Cali from Japan BUT it'd be at least 3 weeks until the frame hit the states. WHAT??? 3 weeks of air freight :mad::mad::mad:

The frame was supposed to be here by the end of May and then another week or so to ship it to Tennessee then 2 days of re-building my bike, that meant I should have been on the road my mid June. So I was told.... Want to guess if it arrived or not? Spoiler alert, it DID NOT.

So two weeks ago I called to check on the status of my frame and was told it had arrived that day, YAY!!!! I then asked about the timeline to get it done and received the most recent bad news, the mechanic doing the re-build was on vacation the following week and it would be another week until it would be started :frown2:

Seriously, I can't make this crap up.

So here we are today, the bike was dropped off and hopefully this afternoon it's beginning the transformation. They will ONLY be working on my bike as their 2 lifts will be side by side with the new frame on one and my bike on the other right next to it to make the process easier and faster.

So with any luck at all, after about 22 hours of labor my bike should be as good as new and by the end of the week I'll have it back and feel 100% comfortable with it.

Now, here's hoping to not get any more bad news like the frame was damaged within the box or it's the wrong frame, etc.. I'm still not out of the woods, yet.

Here are a few pics of the bike just after the accident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
A rough year for sure, with motorcycles anyway. Hopefully the new frame will do the trick and your bike will be like new again. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After all is said and done it should've been totaled. The original repair was $6200 and the new frame is nearing the $4000 mark.

If the new frame would have been included on the original repair it would've been totaled. I was asked what I wanted and I really didn't want to total it unless I absolutely had to since there's no other bike I want, not even a new Vaquero. It's almost paid off as well and I didn't want to start all over with payments although I would have had a nice chunk of change in my pocket after paying it off but I'd still rather have my bike I guess.

Hopefully this will make it brand new again and all will be good, time will tell if I made the right call.

Hoping to check in today to get an update on the progress.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
wow, I can't believe your patience in all this, I would have given up on it long ago if that were my bike

·
Registered
78 Posts
After all is said and done it should've been totaled. The original repair was $6200 and the new frame is nearing the $4000 mark.

If the new frame would have been included on the original repair it would've been totaled. I was asked what I wanted and I really didn't want to total it unless I absolutely had to since there's no other bike I want, not even a new Vaquero. It's almost paid off as well and I didn't want to start all over with payments although I would have had a nice chunk of change in my pocket after paying it off but I'd still rather have my bike I guess.

Hopefully this will make it brand new again and all will be good, time will tell if I made the right call.

Hoping to check in today to get an update on the progress.
check your local laws my fellow rider, it is illegal in most states for an insurance company to pay more to repair a vehicle/motorcycle that the actual cash value. Unless you have some sort of clause in your policy, best of luck and big kudos for being so patient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts