Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The kid seems pretty contrite about it from his quotes in the article (I couldn't watch the video...the wifi in this hotel averages about 600 Kb/s and while that worked just fine for streaming 10 years ago, it don't cut the mustard now). Hopefully he'll legitimize his words with action in the future.

Unfortunately it's another example of sportbike hooliganism that seems to be rapidly growing with the younger twentysomethings. I have a good friend who lives in Boise and he bought a Ninja 636 last year...never really pegged him as a sportbike guy but he and I have gone riding before a number of times. Since then he started a riding club in the Boise area and the group has grown to a couple dozen members.

Last month the group was on a ride and two of them managed to end up in the creek along Idaho Highway 21 between Boise and Idaho City. Here's the article:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Two-motorcyclist-taken-to-hospital-after-Highway-21-crash-259624961.html

After KTVB released that statement, my friend was all over Facebook claiming the crash was caused by a "mechanical failure" and not by a high rate of speed as ISP and Boise County claimed. When I asked what the mechanical failure was, he never gave me an answer. Days after, he made a post about a group meet at a local Buffalo Wild Wings and asked in his post that people be respectful of the area and its residents. He's posted pictures of his friends riding wheelies on mountain highways. He's a good kid and a hell of a drummer, but I don't think I'll be riding with him in the future. I don't really want to be associated with that kind of behavior.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ahh, the stupidity of youth. That's serious bad. That boy needs the book thrown at him & a whoopin to boot. Glad we didn't have anything that fast way back when, but we did have loud and pushed it as far as we could. Runnin from the cops was just a game and we just headed for the woods. But we hardly ever endangered the public.

·
Registered
318 Posts
We should ban fast motorcycles. No one needs a bike that goes that fast. Also, maybe a background check for buying motorcycles secondhand. Maybe even a mental health check for anyone wanting to buy a sportbike. One gallon fuel restrictions? That way they run out of gas quicker. Let's see what else... oh, background check on fuel purchases for any vehicle capable of exceeding 55 miles per hour. Federal registration requirements for all fuel purchases for vehicles of this type... required million dollar policies in case the bike is stolen and misused. A moped is suitable for sport riding.

Said with sarcasm. These are the types of arguments I'm confronted with every day as a second amendment activist.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Another +1 Trip!
Maybe the judge ought to make him ride with the fire department until he's seen them pull a few bodies from twisted metal. Not sentence him to so many hours, but so many extractions instead. Bet he'd start thinking of other consequences than just his thrill fill. Or just make him ride a 50 cc scooter for a while.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Another +1 Trip!
Maybe the judge ought to make him ride with the fire department until he's seen them pull a few bodies from twisted metal. Not sentence him to so many hours, but so many extractions instead. Bet he'd start thinking of other consequences than just his thrill fill. Or just make him ride a 50 cc scooter for a while.
That's a great idea. I know a couple of volunteer firefighters who absolutely refuse to ride a motorcycle, or drive a car without a seatbelt specifically because of the wrecks they've seen.

That would be a great eye opener for such an irresponsible kid.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Wow. 157 for a 600cc, that's pretty good.

My 900 doesn't go too much faster than that, but then again it's an older model.

On the Interstate though? What a knucklehead...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The kid seems pretty contrite about it from his quotes in the article (I couldn't watch the video...the wifi in this hotel averages about 600 Kb/s and while that worked just fine for streaming 10 years ago, it don't cut the mustard now). Hopefully he'll legitimize his words with action in the future.

Unfortunately it's another example of sportbike hooliganism that seems to be rapidly growing with the younger twentysomethings. I have a good friend who lives in Boise and he bought a Ninja 636 last year...never really pegged him as a sportbike guy but he and I have gone riding before a number of times. Since then he started a riding club in the Boise area and the group has grown to a couple dozen members.

Last month the group was on a ride and two of them managed to end up in the creek along Idaho Highway 21 between Boise and Idaho City. Here's the article:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Two-motorcyclist-taken-to-hospital-after-Highway-21-crash-259624961.html

After KTVB released that statement, my friend was all over Facebook claiming the crash was caused by a "mechanical failure" and not by a high rate of speed as ISP and Boise County claimed. When I asked what the mechanical failure was, he never gave me an answer. Days after, he made a post about a group meet at a local Buffalo Wild Wings and asked in his post that people be respectful of the area and its residents. He's posted pictures of his friends riding wheelies on mountain highways. He's a good kid and a hell of a drummer, but I don't think I'll be riding with him in the future. I don't really want to be associated with that kind of behavior.
Being reckless is one thing. Being reckless and completely unaccountable is a whole worse matter! The sportbike guys don't bug me; it's when they act like idiots AND claim everything they are doing is 'perfectly safe'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts