Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got distracted. The Friday before Thanksgiving, I was headed to meet my wife & son at his daycare (her work). Some fella was cutting grass along the front of a subdivision and shooting it out across the road. Traffic was slow and really busy. I was paying to much attention to the lawn mower and when I looked up the little Chevy work truck in front of me had stopped.:eek: I grabbed everything but I knew it was already to late. The front and rear locked up and I figure I hit his rear bumper at about 20mph. I remember the impact. I'm a little fuzzy between there and the ground.:confused: I remember hitting the ground, rolling on my back and feeling the helmet smack the pavement. You have no idea how good a feeling it is to feel the helmet hit the pavement and be able to think... Wow! That would have really hurt bare-headed! The guy behind me came over and said a quick prayer while I layed there a minute trying to decide if my shoulder was actually broken and did some quick calculations of how much money I had just cost my family. After all the police work was done I had to get back on the bike and ride it another 1/2 mile to the day care. That hurt.

When it was all over, I didn't get a ticket, the guy I hit said he wasn't worried about the few extra scratches on his bumper, I just tore some ligaments in my shoulder, and the bike is not a total loss. I was even able to go to the beach on vacation the next day with my family as we had planned. Those hot tubs at the hotels are wonderful. They say in about 4-6 weeks my shoulder should be fine. I have thanked God many times this week for protecting me. It could have been much worse.

As for the bike, I need a new front fender & bracket, new turn signal assembly, new head light jug and ring (bulb is okay), and new chrome covers for the forks. The Cobra engine guards and exhaust are just scratched. Luckily I work at a place that will allow me to get them re-chromed for free.

Now for a few questions. I intend to repair her myself since there seems to be no frame or fork damage. Mainly chrome and covers.
1 - Where is the best place to buy replacement OEM Kawi parts?
2 - Is it cheaper to get aftermarket parts?
3 - Is there some place to get used OEM parts?
4 - Any other advice from you folks who have done this before.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just an FYI!! You need to replace your helmet. Helmets are like seatbelts in cars, car seats for kids and in my business, turn out gear for fireman. They are designed to work only 1 time. Any repeated blows could result in the helmet not working like it should. Not many people put much thought into replacing protective equipment if it does not appear to be damaged.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just an FYI!! You need to replace your helmet.
That is great advice. Regardless of an accident, I was told that you are also supposed to replace your helmet every 3 years (from manufactured date if you want to be nit picky) because the compound inside the helmet that protects you actually breaks down over time and gets more stiff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey JP -- glad you're otherwise okay! Much better to read the story firsthand than from a relative trying to post on your behalf. I did a similar thing on my very first bike about 7-8 years ago. Little Yamaha XS400 Special... riding home from work... Friday the 13th... slow moving traffic, looked down for a sec and looked up to find the utility truck in front of me had stopped. Bike went down slowly to the right and broke the rear brake lever. Had to limp home on just the front brake.

But glad you're going be fine! But to try and answer at least one of your questions...

I've noticed through eBay a merchant called Kawasaki-Sickness that seems to have a lot of OEM stuff at about 80% of Kaw's cost. You might have a look there. Rest up!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Dang, Jeep, a harrowing experience; i'm glad you came through it ok. What a relief your light bulb didn't get broke, huh? LOL.
As far as parts, you might check out some junkyards too, you can get nice parts for much less than new if you look around.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the well wishes and advise. I found out today that Willie & Max will not sell a single right hand saddle bag. Mine took a beating. They did offer me a great deal on a new pair though. Mine is not completely toast yet so I will probably fix that last. If you folks think of anything else I need to know, just post away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I agree with the other folks too. Replace your helmet. Once the protective stuff (that you can't see) gets damaged from absorbing impact, it can no longer absorb impact anymore. The absorbing materials can be damaged even though there is no apparent damage to the outside of the helmet.

I don't have any helpful information about the OEM parts. Glad to hear you are okay!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jeep Pirate

First I'd like to say that I'm glad you are OK. I never ride without a helmet and full gear and you just made the case with a small fender bender..... (Never really small on a motorcycle) I've had tremendous luck getting OEM parts from both Bikebandit.com and recently, cheapcycleparts.com. The later has slightly better prices. Make sure you inspect the welds around the steering head really well. My friend had a mild crash much like yours and his entire steering stem seperated later after he repaired the bike causing a more catastrophic crash. It was a Sporster which is more fragile than the Vulcan steering stem area but nevertheless.........give it a good once over.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Holy SH#*!!!

Sorry to hear of your crash...Damn!!
Glad you are not broken....I hope the lawn mower was Hot and worth the look!!!:p

As everyone says, get your new helmet for sure.
Post some before and after repair pictures.
Good luck and hope you feel better now!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting better every day. Although I still can't sleep while laying on my right hand side and my wife is tired of me gasping in the middle of the night when I roll over. I am better enough now that I have started taking a few bent parts off the bike. Of course, when the wrench slips I tend to regret over-extending my shoulder. On the bright side, I am getting really good at splinting firewood with only my left arm. Thanks for all the well wishes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Glad you are ok. I had a very similar event and let me tell you ALL my brothers saw it and won't take their helmets off anymore. Good lesson for everybody.

Lets see.. Check your forks. Mine got bent back on the hit and those are expensive. Also, check to see if the tire didn't go back and hit the front of the radiator, just in case. Also, check your front rim which could be slightly out of round.

The headlight : you are better off getting and after market one. The kawi one is super expensive (even just the parts), and an after market one will probably be nicer.

The fender and signal lights : check this and other forums. So many people take off their signal lights or replace them coming up with OEM ones shouldn't be hard. After market ones are much cheaper than OEM (the turn signals) if you can't find used ones.

In my case, the insurance totaled the bike since their repair rates where outrageous and they decided it cost too much to fix it. Too bad, was like new and definitely fixable. I found you can't buy ANY parts at the local dealers, the prices are just impossible. Look up OEM parts online, even with shipping you save $$$ Even a battery is like 3 times what a battery cost anywhere else. :-/

I am so glad you had your helmet on. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts