Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this afternoon I wrapped my exhaust. YES there is a difference. Will be glad when the smell goes away. I definitely find it cooler on the right leg.Now just have to wait for my Throttle Mod to get here. It will have more miles on it before its installed than Ruby has.
:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See what? I have the heat shield back on. i used a tan colour. have to look really really close on the rear pipe

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Glad you wrapped your exhaust, now everyone go out and do it!!

I have been wrapping exhaust pipes since 1988, i suggest to all my customers to have us wrap the exhaust b4 we install it. I have even seen a gain of 2 H.P. on ZX-7 we dynoed years ago. Skoots alway run cooler and so does the rider!!:D

RACNRAY

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr G
You can get it at any automotive supply store. I got mine from a motorcycle parts supplier. as a 50 ft roll. I never took the exhaust off. I can see where it would be easier if you did. Hardest part was reinstalling the heat shields it was well worth it. as for the people who say the pipes will rust, I can't see that happening any time soon. No matter what you do it will rust.
As a great Canadian said. ( Neil Young) Rust Never Sleeps...... :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dr. G

Got mine from Amazon.com just over $50 total, 50ft titanium wrap, 8 stainless tie wraps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep thinking about wrapping pipes om my 1700 but it would seem that the air would be better getting to to them for cooling.

·
Registered
636 Posts
worth it

I keep thinking about wrapping pipes om my 1700 but it would seem that the air would be better getting to to them for cooling.
Its 50 percent less felt heat!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The exhaust wrap contains the radiant heat and the heat is removed by the exhaust system instead of radiating out around the engine, intake and rider and as a side benefit there is a large reduction in engine noise as well. This is my Vaquero right before I put the heat shields back on, the difference before and after the wrap was amazing, I've since replaced the stock dog bowl intake with a Thunder and the bike is running even cooler yet...

Edited to add: If you plan on wrapping your header do yourself a favor and remove the exhaust system and do the job properly, otherwise you can't get a decent wrap... soak the exhaust wrap and wrap it as tight as you can

·
Registered
636 Posts
I need to get the thunder air kit! Does it make a lot of difference in the cooling? I would think it would getting all that crap from in between the cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
105 Posts
I need to get the thunder air kit! Does it make a lot of difference in the cooling? I would think it would getting all that crap from in between the cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

The heat reduction by doing the exhaust wrap, PCV, V&H slashcuts, and Thunder intake have been substantial. The temperature gauge barely climbs past the 1/4 mark while riding and climbs much slower and drops much faster in stop and go traffic... and the sound of the intake is great! I'm glad to be rid of the dog bowls, I also used the Thunder cover plate for the left side...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm glad to be rid of the dog bowls, I also used the Thunder cover plate for the left side...
Those look good. I have a question. Every time I open my air box and remove the filter (K&N) I got a fair amount of crankcase barf down in the box. Checking my oil level reveals no massive loss in oil but it's in there. Do these air kits reroute the breather hose? Has anyone else had an issue with spit from this? Anyone use a spit cup or filter on the end of the hose. I may alter the intake. I figure I haven't had enough torture getting the air/fuel just right and may need to sign up for more!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those look good. I have a question. Every time I open my air box and remove the filter (K&N) I got a fair amount of crankcase barf down in the box. Checking my oil level reveals no massive loss in oil but it's in there. Do these air kits reroute the breather hose? Has anyone else had an issue with spit from this? Anyone use a spit cup or filter on the end of the hose. I may alter the intake. I figure I haven't had enough torture getting the air/fuel just right and may need to sign up for more!

The Thunder kit mounting plate is threaded and the breather hose is routed to the back of the plate using a rubber hose and a threaded plastic right angle connector. I've now got 750 miles on the Thunder kit and so far have noticed no goo inside the K&N air filter from the breather tube, the hose and connector are dry. I run my oil levels right at the top of the hash marks on the dipstick so if there was going to be any sort of overflow into my air cleaner I'm the guy who'd get it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hate to hijack the thread with more questions about the thunder air kit... But what happens if you get caught in a torrential downpour?
No problems at all, back when I rode HD I always used open intakes and have ridden in heavy rains and storms without any issues, I never used one but they do make rain socks if it's a concern.

The fear is hydro-lock which would require a huge amount of water, like submerging the intake, what small volume of water, a few drops, that does make it into the intake will be vaporized as soon as it enters the hot cylinder... spraying water into the intake was an old hotrodder trick to clear carbon and there are aircraft that use a water injection system to make maximum power, I doubt a bit of water is going to cause any harm...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thinking about wrapping my pipes. How bad is the smell and how long does it last? What are the effects on the pipes themselves? Would wrapping them increase moisture? Attract dirt? Rust? Comments?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thinking about wrapping my pipes. How bad is the smell and how long does it last? What are the effects on the pipes themselves? Would wrapping them increase moisture? Attract dirt? Rust? Comments?
Doesn't smell at all, just smokes for a few minutes and it's all done.
No effects on the pipes as the heat keeps them dry.
If my bike was going to be kept out side all the time I wouldn't wrap them. But my baby is an insider.
Now if and when I wash it I will run it right after the wash.:p

·
Registered
192 Posts
I painted my pipes with silver VHT paint to hopefully help with the moisture/rust issue and then wrapped them with DEI Titanium wrap. Smoked really bad the first time I ran the bike then hardly any after that. Smell was not too bad. DEI recommends a 1/4" overlap on the wrap so too much heat will not be retained and damage the pipes or welds. Also wrapped the crossover pipe and put a heat shield to stop dirt. etc from the rear tire from getting on the wrap. Lastly, started wrapping from the end of the pipe then up towards the cylinders so the ridge of the wrap faces the rear of the bike so dirt, etc. won't get caught in it coming from the front of the bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts