Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got a 2014 VN900 Classic and have been loving the bike so far but since coming across these forums it seems to be underperforming compared to other people stock bikes. Theres a few issues that may or may not be connected...

First of all is the top speed. I've read on here that people are topping out at 115 in some cases whereas mine won't get above 90 and even 80 feels like its straining. It feels comfortable at 70 but any higher than 75-80 and it feels like its going to rev it itself apart. I'm not an overly big guy, weighing about 190lbs, so I can't see why it would struggle so much if others are getting to those speeds with more throttle to go?

Second is the fuel economy. I ran her dry and a full tank got me 170 miles. Hearing peoples fuel light coming on at 200 seems nuts to me as when I filled her up at 170 I could literally see the bottom of the tank and the bike was starting to sputter as I pulled into the station. I've done the resister mod and my light comes on at 140ish.

Lastly is the stalling. The bike has been randomly cutting out every so often, always when opening the throttle, usually from a starting stop. It's like the bike coughs or chokes and then just dies. It doesnt happen very often and it's never happened at any great speed. It's normally when taking off after being stopped at a traffic light or something but it has happened a few times at low speed, for example round a roundabout. When it dies the electronics whirr as they do when turning the bike on and after a few seconds I can start the bike up normally again.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing these issues? The only thing I could think of was maybe the bike was restricted for an A2 licence. I bought it at 1800 miles with two previous owners and I know one of them crashed it then sold it which kind of indicates they were a new rider so maybe they had it restriced?

Any ideas or input on any of these is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Don't know what causes your troubles, but I think the VN900 is stock A2, i.e. without any modifications. I get about 400 km from one tank of gas, i.e. about 250 miles (i.e. (~47 mgp)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Don't know about the top speed issue, but the intermittent stalling situation as you describe it would appear to be caused by an intermittent electrical fault. As a beginning point suggest checking the battery. After a few hours of not being used the Kawasaki shop manual says that minimum voltage should be 12.7, and having it load tested (if that is possible where you are - UK?). If the battery passes those tests suggest cleaning the connections at the battery terminals, negative cable grounding point, and the positive connection at the starter relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is A2 legal but does need to be restricted first so it's still a possibility. 250 miles would be a dream!

I'll give that a go with the battery and connections, thanks for the advice.(y)

·
Registered
288 Posts
... I bought it at 1800 miles with two previous owners and I know one of them crashed it then sold it which kind of indicates they were a new rider so maybe they had it restriced?

Any ideas or input on any of these is greatly appreciated.
Or, maybe there is crash damage to the bike undiscovered. If you have not gone over the bike yourself, then take it to a mechanic that knows what they are doing to have the bike repaired.
Depending on the type of accident damage, something as small as a solder trace on the ECU board will give you fits and unless you know what you are doing, no matter the instructions 100 folks will offer here, you will never find the problem.
If you cant afford a mechanic and this is your 1st time tearing a bike apart, get ready to spend heaps of time learning on the job. Your 1st task is to obtain the service manual.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You could check the error codes from the ECU, to see if that leads you in a particular direction. Du-Rron had a good suggestion, just run it by a good dealer and have them look it over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts