Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2014
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all, fitted the 240 kit to my 900C and had to remove all the belt gaurds for clearance issues.
Is there any real threat for safety and/or reliability with running the bike without the guards?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd say you should definitely be more aware of anything that can get caught in the drive, like clothing or luggage straps etc...and the belt is going to pick up a lot more crud without the guards, so definite chance of reduced belt life.

looks pretty sweet tho :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the lower guard off of a RoadStar Warrior I used to own. I fairly quickly got a couple of pieces of gravel between the belt and pully, and they poked holes completely through the belt. Eventually the belt failed at one of the holes. I'd strongly recommend finding a way to make your guards fit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ive had mine off for thousands of miles no issues, but like mentioned above it may take a few miles off it full lifetime. As far as stuff getting caught in it, Im not too worried but I like to inspect it before I ride to make sure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was gonna say "look out for passenger shoe laces", but then I noticed no pillion or pegs...
Road debris would be my only concern. Ya sure go a purty pulley, I'd want to show it off too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
BTW, whatever you did (bigger wheel? or is that the result of the tire only?) to close that gap between the tire and the fender, it looks great.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is that hanging off of the upper swing arm?
That was the registration label holder, but now been moved above the radiator for a cleaner look.

Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated. :)

First belt driven bike, think I was worried more about debris seizing the pulley more than anything. Would like to leave cover off, but will look into making a custom shroud up, gonna be a tight fit tho...

Cheers.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, whatever you did (bigger wheel? or is that the result of the tire only?) to close that gap between the tire and the fender, it looks great.
The wheel is a "Sumo-X Mimic" 18" x 8.5" and tyre is a Dunlop 240/40 R18. The fender is a "Kustomwerks" 10.5" wide.

Cheers.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dude your bike looks great but please for the love of god do something about the mirrors LOL
Damn straight, just can't decide which ones to go with.... :)
Have 6 deg tripple trees, forward controls and grips on the list too.....

Where does it all end? :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your ride looks friggen awesome mate - we should go for a ride one day ....
Keep up the good work !!

Cheers from just around the corner

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your ride looks friggen awesome mate - we should go for a ride one day ....
Keep up the good work !!

Cheers from just around the corner
Mate, been on the Gold Coast for 25+ years, never been more than 10k's outa Surfers :eek: ....had the Vulcan for 3 months..... put 2500k's on it exploring the hinterland. Mt Tamborine is next on the list! Name a pub & a time and we'll be there!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That was the registration label holder, but now been moved above the radiator for a cleaner look.

Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated. :)

First belt driven bike, think I was worried more about debris seizing the pulley more than anything. Would like to leave cover off, but will look into making a custom shroud up, gonna be a tight fit tho...

Cheers.

Man, that is ONE SICK RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mate, been on the Gold Coast for 25+ years, never been more than 10k's outa Surfers :eek: ....had the Vulcan for 3 months..... put 2500k's on it exploring the hinterland. Mt Tamborine is next on the list! Name a pub & a time and we'll be there!

Cheers.
PM sent !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
Eventually the belt failed at one of the holes.
What was it like when if failed?

I had a piece of gravel punch a hole in mine 9000 miles ago. It's always at the back of my mind while riding, especially hauling a** on the super slab. Afraid it may lock up the back wheel on me.:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts