Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I ride my bike basically every day whether it is to the shops , work or a 5 hour day trip. It is a 2018 model and I have racked up 30,000kms on the speedo.

Lately I have been having some server hesitations while riding at low speeds, kind feels like the bike is rolling on a bent wheel.

I have had a look at all chain components, bearings and wheels and they all seem fine.

Rolling around about 30-40khps or 20mphs is when it happens. Once I am past I dunno 4,000 rpm or at a fast speed , it disappears.

Does anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it feels like when the bike is rolling at low speeds , that it is very hesitate or lumpy. Picture riding a bike with egg shape wheels.

I have changed and lubed up everything that should be done by 30 xxxkms.

not sure what it could be

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think you have a worn chain and/or sprocket issues. Manual states chain is good for 45K Kms, but many people had to replace it sooner than that and right around your mileage. Seems like your having a tight/slack issue, making it feel lumpy or a surging feeling. It’s known that the manual states chain slack to be 10-20mm, but many have had constant stretch issues when held to that spec. I would suggest leaving 25mm slack when you replace it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd try to isolate chain/engine/transmission from wheels/tires by pulling the clutch when the "thing" happens. If you keep feeling it, you have a tire/wheel issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been on top of all maintenance schedule and the chain slack has been adjusted for 25mm as I too felt 10-20mm was waay to tight.

I do have my suspicions that it may be the chain and sprockets because that would make the most sense.

wondering if anyone else has had that problem before?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
nah

I think you have worn out your sides off your rear tire.
It is nearly impossible to wear the sides off on the street, unless you have the bike keeled over smoking the tires in a parking lot. When ya wear the sides off the tires.On the track where I have gummed up the sides it never cause that reaction.:devil2:

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
It is nearly impossible to wear the sides off on the street, unless you have the bike keeled over smoking the tires in a parking lot. When ya wear the sides off the tires.On the track where I have gummed up the sides it never cause that reaction.:devil2:
Or maybe he means the outer tread as opposed to the center of the tread. That would happen if the tires were very under inflated (i.e. running the pressure recommended by Kawi if it is as low for this bike as it is for others).

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I run oem recommended pressure+2lb, except when I get to the mountains then it's -2lb. Have had the expected wear patterns on the Road 5, too early to tell on the Angel. I follow the same on the Nomad with the Commanders and have been pleased. What scooter have you had issues with the factory recommendation for tire pressure on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To Bearslayer : i understand if you feel funny all the time. But check the picture of his rear tire. He has had to little pressure on the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I run oem recommended pressure+2lb, except when I get to the mountains then it's -2lb. Have had the expected wear patterns on the Road 5, too early to tell on the Angel. I follow the same on the Nomad with the Commanders and have been pleased. What scooter have you had issues with the factory recommendation for tire pressure on?
What are the Kawi recommended tires and pressures for your Vulcan?

I and quite a few others have had issues running the recommended Bridgestones at the recommended 28 psi (front tire) on Voyagers and other 1700s. Mine had the classic under inflation wear pattern (outside worn more than the middle) from running the first 1,000 miles at 28 psi. After the tire heated up to over 150 F and rising and nearly 40 psi (I have TPMS sensors on my tires) riding the highway for about 20 min. on a hot Georgia day, I upped the pressure to 32 psi. After that, it ran at expected temps and pressures, but by that time the damage had been done. I got less than 6K out of it going quite a bit past hitting the wear bars, and about the same, from the rear Bridgestone. Both new when I bought the bike. Kawi recommends the Bridgestone Exedra G721E at 28 psi for the front and the G722 at 36 - 40 psi, depending on the load (I ran at 36 psi) for the rear. No problem with the wear pattern on the rear, it was just so soft it wore out quickly.

I haven't been able to ride since last summer due to shoulder issues, but I have 16,000 miles on my MC IIs. I run 32 - 33 psi front and 36 - 38 psi on the rear and should get at least another 3,000 miles, probably closer to 5,000, on them before I hit the wear bars.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Running 34 F 40R on the Nomad and 32F 36 R on the S.
Hulks tires have some cupping but not "I think you have worn out your sides off your rear tire."
Those are 2 different issues. I would definitely reassess the tire pressure. Usually I can feel low pressure on the Nomad easier than on the S. I have had that 32 drop to 26 before I noticed it.
And Jakey I never feel funny, you must have been feeling someone else,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Sorry for getting to you guys late.

As for the tyres , I ride everyday to work 40kms each way highway. The side walls are worn to the edge but these Angel Gts are best of both worlds when it comes to highway and riding really hard around bends ( both of my pegs are scrapped). Having a little flat section in the middle wouldnt be the cause of that infact, thats what these tyres are designed for.

I still haven't figured out the cause but I do think it may be chain related, seems to make the most sense.

See that it is pretty consistent

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry for getting to you guys late.

As for the tyres , I ride everyday to work 40kms each way highway. The side walls are worn to the edge but these Angel Gts are best of both worlds when it comes to highway and riding really hard around bends ( both of my pegs are scrapped). Having a little flat section in the middle wouldnt be the cause of that infact, thats what these tyres are designed for.

I still haven't figured out the cause but I do think it may be chain related, seems to make the most sense.

See that it is pretty consistent
You may be misunderstanding. If the pressure is too low, the middle of the tire will bend inwards towards the rim and will not wear as much as normal. You don't get a flat middle, you get excess outer tread wear.

To be clear, are you saying the actual side walls are being worn down, or the outer tread? If the sidewalls are being worn down, you either have something rubbing the tires, or you have dangerously low tire pressure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may be misunderstanding. If the pressure is too low, the middle of the tire will bend inwards towards the rim and will not wear as much as normal. You don't get a flat middle, you get excess outer tread wear.

To be clear, are you saying the actual side walls are being worn down, or the outer tread? If the sidewalls are being worn down, you either have something rubbing the tires, or you have dangerously low tire pressure.
Ohhh no, the pressure is fine. Tyre pressure issue is definitely not the colporate .

I ride hard on my off days and the outer tread is being used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts