Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating installing Iso Grips on my 2009 Vn 900 Custom because of the looks, as well as the comfort. I am not exactly a mechanic, so I was wondering if anyone had insight on how difficult the grips are to install, and if it is possible to mess up the throttle at all by installing the grips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put mine on today. Very easy install. There is a version that just replaces the grip on the right side instead of replacing the throttle tube. Kuryakyn's part number 6240 uses stock throttle tube. 6235 replaces the throttle tube with the grip already attached.

If you do use 6235 you will have to separate the right switch housing and loosen the throttle cables to get the tube off, then you will have to adjust them back after you put the new grip on. I did it, it's not that hard. Just make sure when you turn the bars lock to lock the engine speed doesn't change, if so, you need to readjust. There's a warning about the glue drying fast. It does dry fast, but if you work quickly and know where you want the grip, it's not a problem. There's a spacer in the package, I didn't use it. I just left about an 1/8" between the left switch housing and the grip.

Here's a video of a guy putting some grips on his 900 (He uses the stock throttle tube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai85S_AwWo4

I got mine from this guy:

http://tinyurl.com/2fl8eu2

Great price and I got it in 3 days.

·
Registered
742 Posts
yea... that is the video i found also. his idea of rolling it off is smart to save the grips incase you ever want to take them off. people have said you damage them, but i have seen alot of them that start spinning after a while... i am guessing from the force being put on them and the heat from the sun...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used the set that replaced the throttle tube. I think it took me about an hour to do. An easy way to remove the stock left grip, is to blow compressed air into the hole on the end of the grip. This will slightly inflate the grip and break the glue bond. Once the grip is loose, keep the air flowing and pull the grip off. I pulled mine of in under 30 seconds using this method.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yea... that is the video i found also. his idea of rolling it off is smart to save the grips incase you ever want to take them off. people have said you damage them, but i have seen alot of them that start spinning after a while... i am guessing from the force being put on them and the heat from the sun...
I started to roll mine off to save for later but got about 1/4 way down and just sliced them open. Much easier!

Other than that a very easy install. Just got to be fast with the glue cause it seems to set very very quickly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very easy install. I did my ISO grips with the stiletto ends in about 20 minutes. Don't make the mistake I did and apply the glue to the bar, it makes one hell of a mess.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I started to roll mine off to save for later but got about 1/4 way down and just sliced them open.

Must have been pretty easy, cuz I managed it too. I went with rolling the orig grips off (as seen in the Cruiser Customizing video on installing these) but now that they're rolled up I can't manage to unroll them. Whatever, they're never going back on. Might as well throw the OEM grips away. Kury-Isos are so much nicer!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a different Kury grip that fits our bike? I know for the 750, the grip for some of the Goldwings would fit and it was longer in length. So for those of us with larger hands or ride with winter gloves alot had more room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also installed the iso grips. Really was an easy install. Had heard from some old bikers to not use the glue but to use hair spray instead. Tried the hair spray, let it set for about ten minutes before I messed with the grips and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I also installed the iso grips. Really was an easy install. Had heard from some old bikers to not use the glue but to use hair spray instead. Tried the hair spray, let it set for about ten minutes before I messed with the grips and it worked like a charm.
hairspray is an old school bmx bike grip trick we did in the day! man i'm getting old...

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Wow Slap, I dunno about Gorilla glue, powerful stuff, will that ever come loose if you need to change out the grips again? At most bike shops here they sell these small tubes of "Grip Glue" and I have used it on three bikes and not one of the grips has let go in years. The tubes of glue that came with the Kury grips were dried up & empty and the one tube that had some glue in it, only held for a few hours! :mad:

·
Registered
525 Posts
he he.. is what I had at hand, and doesn't "freeze" the moment you start moving it... :)

Actually, no, I didn't give any thought to taking them off later (well, the left one is the only one that is glued). :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put these grips on last week...very easy. The glue DOES SET quick, but just slide it all the way on and make sure the pads are where you want them before hand. Very easy install. Just make sure you put the glue in the grip without putting any in the very bottom.

Directions are easy and so is the install!

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK guys, besides the typical kury grips that looks like it prooved to be a "plug and play" part, are there any other grips that will fit a 900 custom. I am not sure what size grips are for the classic but for the Custom Left is 1" but the right is 1 1/8 (measured the throtle tube). I e-mailed a few sellers and no one replied with a concrete answer just "probably" will. Anyone installed other custom grips yet?

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found those too but I don't like the price lol. For every other bike they are $30 isch why is 900custom well over $50. Maybe I am being cheap but I just dont see the cost justified.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts