Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of you have installed the Kuryakyn ISO Grips on your 900s and I'm considering trying a set myself. I've been experiencing numbness in my hands lately after even short rides. I'm not aware of much vibration but I'm assuming that's what's causing the numbness. My question is should I install them myself or would it be better to take to a dealer for installation? I've read the instruction sheet online and it looks like the Kawasaki throttle-side grip install is different than a standard install. Any suggestions or comments? Also I see that the sell add-on end-weights for the grips to further reduce vibration. Is that a good idea?

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can use the Kuryakyn universal grips and not have to remove the throttle tube.I have these grips with the throttle boss (dual) and still get numbness in the hands if driving 80 miles or so.I have had this happen on a great many bikes though.I have also used the grip end weights in the past and they help a bit also.The throttle boss is for sure a great little ad on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As part of the cleanup on my new 900 I installed a set of ISO grips with a throttle boss. I had them on my 500 and they seeme to remove the vibration. They are not working as well on the 900 and I ordered a set of end weights. I took the bike out for the longest ride since I finished cleaning up and fixing a bunch of small items.after a couple of hours of riding the numbness did seem to go away finally - I am going to try the weights in any case.

BTW installation was straight forward my dealer is so busy I couldn't find anyone to do them for 10 days and I was not waiting :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you install them yourself or have someone install them? I'm assuming that Dual Throttle Boss means both grips have a throttle Boss. What is the use for a throttle boss on the clutch-side grip??

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did. On my 500 I had a boss on both grips - didn't bother this time. I did go with black! Next up is my Bluetooth sound system.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Did you install them yourself or have someone install them? I'm assuming that Dual Throttle Boss means both grips have a throttle Boss. What is the use for a throttle boss on the clutch-side grip??
I installed them myself as I do all my accessories.Yes both grips have a throttle boss.They can be bought as a set.Having one on the clutch side makes for a good resting point to relax your grip on the clutch side as well as the throttle side.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I went with the Avon grips cause I liked the way they looked. I was also scared that I would screw something up and almost went to the dealer. At $85.00 per hour I decided to do it myself. I read the instructions I went slow.(no beer till I was done)
for the throttle side you have to undo the screws on the on /off switch and remove the cables. It's easier than it sounds. The clutch side came right off which was scary. clean the end real good and apply the tape that comes with the grips. some use hair spray to keep it on I used a few drops of gorilla glue (the glue that came with the grips was useless). The whole thing took about 30-40-min. (I did drink a beer) My hands were also getting a bit numb, but not with the new grips. Here are mine before and after. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always had problems with numbness in my hands. I haven't looked at your upgrades to see if you already have taller bars, but that made the biggest difference for me. My issue is more with the angle of the bars stock on them, it turned my hands in at the wrist, very uncomfortable. I got a 900 Classic and I HATED the wide bars, so I put on some taller, narrow bars. I think that made the biggest difference, as I've also heard from quite a few other guys I ride with occasionally. I also put on Avon grips, LOVE them!! Also have the throttle-boss, which helps more than I expected to. If I had to do it again, I'd do it exactly the same.
Trav

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the Avon grips cause I liked the way they looked. I was also scared that I would screw something up and almost went to the dealer. At $85.00 per hour I decided to do it myself. I read the instructions I went slow.(no beer till I was done)
for the throttle side you have to undo the screws on the on /off switch and remove the cables. It's easier than it sounds. The clutch side came right off which was scary. clean the end real good and apply the tape that comes with the grips. some use hair spray to keep it on I used a few drops of gorilla glue (the glue that came with the grips was useless). The whole thing took about 30-40-min. (I did drink a beer) My hands were also getting a bit numb, but not with the new grips. Here are mine before and after. Good luck.

IDK how your glue that came with was useless, mine worked perfectly... no Gorilla Glue or anything, and they stay on just fine.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
IDK how your glue that came with was useless, mine worked perfectly... no Gorilla Glue or anything, and they stay on just fine.
The tube that came with the grips was dried up so I used the gorilla glue cause it was in my tool box. Worked great.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know that many of you have installed the Kuryakyn ISO Grips on your 900s and I'm considering trying a set myself. I've been experiencing numbness in my hands lately after even short rides. I'm not aware of much vibration but I'm assuming that's what's causing the numbness. My question is should I install them myself or would it be better to take to a dealer for installation? I've read the instruction sheet online and it looks like the Kawasaki throttle-side grip install is different than a standard install. Any suggestions or comments? Also I see that the sell add-on end-weights for the grips to further reduce vibration. Is that a good idea?
I installed my Iso grips myself, and it was very simple. I got the ones that came with the throttle tube. I researched installation online, and decided that due to all the horror stories regarding the supplied "Spider Glue" I would instead use 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It worked beautifully and sealed all the rubber air pockets. My hands (lobes) start to tingle after about an hour at indicated speeds (stock drive train) above about 65 mph or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I decided to go for it and ordered a set of the ISO grips from Amazon. Almost added the throttle boss and end weights but decided to try the grips first. I can always add the others as (if) needed. I'm gonna try installing them my self. Years ago I changed grips and handlebars on my dirt bikes so this shouldn't be too tough.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I installed a set of the ISO grips (black) with the boss. Really helped with the numbness, but still require carpal tunnel surgery (planning shortly). But, I do like the throttle boss, nice to use to help stretch the fingers.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts