Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Iso grips today. Right one went on no problem (once I adjusted the throttle cable to provide a little slack). I took off the OEM grip on the left side, cleaned up the handle bar, and was trying the new Iso grip on before I applied any glue. I could barely force the grip on the handlebar. I used both hands to push and twist the grip, and could barely get it on all the way. I'm certain if I tried to use the adhesive, I would have glued the grip to the handlebar when it was only half on. The grip won't twist without a great deal of effort (using both hands), so I just left it as is. Anyone see a problem with this? If so, anyone have a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sand the bar down a bit, it will take off the bit of adhesive that was holding on the stock grip, then use hairspray. It helps lube the surface when the grip goes on, then grips well after it dries. Then, just remember slow and steady so you don't force the rubber inserts out of place.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
not a serious pro blem.... but you may see it move a little bit over time coming off.... espeically in warmer weather.

when that happened to me, I cleaned the shaft exceptionally well with acetone to get any and all residue off.... cleaned the inside of the grip too. then put it on with adhesive ( tiny amounts of gorilla glue ) and worked OK. The adhesive actually helped it slide on.

Installed my Iso grips today. Right one went on no problem (once I adjusted the throttle cable to provide a little slack). I took off the OEM grip on the left side, cleaned up the handle bar, and was trying the new Iso grip on before I applied any glue. I could barely force the grip on the handlebar. I used both hands to push and twist the grip, and could barely get it on all the way. I'm certain if I tried to use the adhesive, I would have glued the grip to the handlebar when it was only half on. The grip won't twist without a great deal of effort (using both hands), so I just left it as is. Anyone see a problem with this? If so, anyone have a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sand the bar down a bit, it will take off the bit of adhesive that was holding on the stock grip, then use hairspray. It helps lube the surface when the grip goes on, then grips well after it dries. Then, just remember slow and steady so you don't force the rubber inserts out of place.
Did you not use the quick-drying glue that comes with the grips? This is my next install but I would rather not get involved with that mess if I don't have to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Double sided 'grip' tape is what I ended up using with a squirt of hairspray to help get them on. After it sat overnight they were rock solid.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Did you not use the quick-drying glue that comes with the grips? This is my next install but I would rather not get involved with that mess if I don't have to.
Nope. That stuff sets too fast on some folks, per my research. I just used extra mega super hold hairspray (luckily, the wife had some :D) and the grip slid right on, gave me plenty of time to line it up just like I wanted it, then set rock solid after leaving it for a few hours to dry. It's been through one full season now and hasn't budged a bit.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The grips come with 2 different inner diameters. The larger diameter grip is for the right (throttle) side, so it can fit over the throttle sleeve. I've had Kury Iso grips on several bikes and never had a problem getting them to fit. IF you can get the one on the left side off again, compare the opening to the one you're having a problem with. If it's larger, you're trying to put the wrong one on the throttle sleeve. They should slide on easily.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The grips come with 2 different inner diameters. The larger diameter grip is for the right (throttle) side, so it can fit over the throttle sleeve. I've had Kury Iso grips on several bikes and never had a problem getting them to fit. IF you can get the one on the left side off again, compare the opening to the one you're having a problem with. If it's larger, you're trying to put the wrong one on the throttle sleeve. They should slide on easily.
He got the throttle side on with no issues, so he's got 'em going the right way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts