Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I originally posted this in General Discussion

After much research, I finally settled on a Vulcan 900 Custom for my first bike in 10 years. I've put away nearly $4500 with the intention of buying an overstocked 2013 "blacked out" 900 Custom when the prices (hopefully) fall this winter.

While doing some random searches, I happened upon a 2008 Vulcan 2k in pristine condition. The bike is setup with Vance & Hines pipes, a passenger backrest, engine guards and foot pegs and has slightly more than 3,400 miles. The asking price is just under $6k.

The question is, should I jump on this bike? I had previously questioned the need for such a large bike, but it would open up the option of taking the wife on longer rides to upstate NY, PA, New England, etc.

Is the 2k a reliable bike? I've recently ridden a Boulevard m109 and was very comfortable with the comparable weight and power (but that thing got HOT!)

So, opinions? All are welcome, thanks all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I will tell you from personal experience that I do not regret getting my 06 2K (found it used but perfect with 9K miles). I rode an 08 900 Custom for 3 years and after about the first year I wished I had a bigger engine. Now don't get me wrong...the 900 is a great bike. But, in my opinion, it was a little too buzzy on the highway and just didn't seemed to have that extra umph it needed to pass comfortably at interstate speeds. The 2K has that umph plus a lot more.

As far as reliability...I have had my 2K for over a year now and never had a single issue (that wasn't my own stupid fault)...knock on wood. I think by 08 a lot of the issues that popped up with the older models were pretty much worked out. But either way you go...as long as you treat her well she will keep you smiling.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
All I can say is ride it first. Spend some time on it. Do not be overwhelmed by the size of the engine. I bought my 2008 V2K and after a few months wished I had not. One year later I traded it off. I found it to be a very heavy cumbersome bike.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pitching it on the twisties of eastern TN/western NC is a workout, but riding it 800 miles back home on the interstate is enjoyable. Every bike has pros/cons, all a matter of your preferences.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That seems like a pretty good deal, mine is an 08' and no problems so far. Eats tires perhaps a little quick than a lighter bike would. The torque is almost second to none, stock gearing and pulleys will let you accelerate swiftly in 5th at highway speeds with non reason to downshift. The bike doesn't feel too large or heavy for me, in fact I wish it had a little more leg room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great bike for cruzin . not a great prefomer in the twistes. unbeatable smile miles with a few teak to you personal preference. not a bike for the timid.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
IMHO this late in the riding season for Ny. the owner has decided to get rid of it before it has to be stored for the winter. It would be worth the effort to go look at the v2k with your $4500 cash in hand(and maybe a little more if you can but not much). If you make the deal and decide the v2k is not for you it can be traded in for what you want in a few months. This is how I wound up with an 09 Nomad instead of an 03 or 04 which I thought was all my budget at the time could stand. I made the owner an offer I was sure he would turn down but a few counters later I was the new owner.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pitching it on the twisties of eastern TN/western NC is a workout, but riding it 800 miles back home on the interstate is enjoyable. Every bike has pros/cons, all a matter of your preferences.
I pitch mine through there every year, with a passenger. It's not a sport bike, but I have fun with it in the twisties.

Get it. No Question! Just get it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
First, don't think the 900 isn't capable of taking some long trips with you and your wife. I do it all the time!

BUT; the V2K will do it without the high RPM's, and the extra weight will give you a more comfortable platform. The V2K is an awesome bike, I've ridden it once, and it's a machine for sure!

If you're thinking V2K, I'd go for it! See if you can negotiate a good price, and if you don't like it you can always trade it in. But, that's the funny thing about Kawasaki. There are two bikes in the line that everybody who owns them love, the 900 and the 2000. The 1700 has a few holdouts, but man, mention something that is less than great about the VN900 or the V2K and you're in for it. Those two bikes have some pretty high 'customer satisfaction'!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all-
I originally posted this in General Discussion

After much research, I finally settled on a Vulcan 900 Custom for my first bike in 10 years. I've put away nearly $4500 with the intention of buying an overstocked 2013 "blacked out" 900 Custom when the prices (hopefully) fall this winter.

While doing some random searches, I happened upon a 2008 Vulcan 2k in pristine condition. The bike is setup with Vance & Hines pipes, a passenger backrest, engine guards and foot pegs and has slightly more than 3,400 miles. The asking price is just under $6k.

The question is, should I jump on this bike? I had previously questioned the need for such a large bike, but it would open up the option of taking the wife on longer rides to upstate NY, PA, New England, etc.

Is the 2k a reliable bike? I've recently ridden a Boulevard m109 and was very comfortable with the comparable weight and power (but that thing got HOT!)

So, opinions? All are welcome, thanks all.
I would say it depends on your experience with bikes. The V2K is not a beginners bike! If you are not used to big cruisers then stick with the 900. If you are comfortable on a big bike with more power that you know what to do with then jump all over that 2000, it sounds like a great deal. V2Kman

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. I happened upon an 07 900 Custom with less than 4000 miles and picked it up last week. The bike has great power and is really maneuverable. I'd been riding my boss' Boulevard 109M lately and the thing handled like a pig, so I'm glad I chose the smaller bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts