Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! next week we are going in vacation with my vulcan so I decide to check the bike. I Have remove the front pulley cover to see how is it under and go for a ride with the cover off! My belt is align ( mark are equal on both side!) and I did not tight the belt to tight because we gone be load of stuff for one week + my girl friend on the back..... so look at the video and tell me wath you think please!! and If its a not tight enough belt.... I have read a lot of thread of members they said belt should not be tight! ( in the video you will see the belt go trough the left this is wen I release the feeder more compression more to the left! and the belt take is place wen I feed again !
http://s277.photobucket.com/user/mad_maths/media/video-2013-07-08-19-39-26_zps276cad22.mp4.html

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'd say that if it isn't squealing, and your alignment marks are still good, there shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind I am NOT a motorcycle tech and really aren't qualified to make solid recommendations. But our belts all might travel a bit. I have never seen anybody remove the cover and film the belt while traveling.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just show the video to one of my friend is a Harley mechanic. and e said : tight your belt a bit and stop being so picky!!! I know I have the tendency to be perfectionist I have to be all week long at my job so.....

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
There is a spec tension that the belt has to be at .... you need a belt tension gauge to set it correctly.

for those who say the spec setting is to tight, I am always amazed at how they know more than the engineers that designed the bike and the belt.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a spec tension that the belt has to be at .... you need a belt tension gauge to set it correctly.

for those who say the spec setting is to tight, I am always amazed at how they know more than the engineers that designed the bike and the belt.
Yep!! Agree!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
847 Posts
Belt Tension (one more time)

I am one who says the belt is way too tight with factory specs. My tech at the shop says the same. He told me he couldn't change it but he gave me enough info that I got the point. I set mine like the Harley's and it stopped some noise and also took some pressure off the bearings. A simple rule of thumb is to be able to twist the belt no more than 45 deg. at mid point. I have been there for six yrs. with no probs. Consider the tension of the belt w/ the bike empty then add about 250 lbs. for passenger and gear. Remember the chain driven bikes? I am not sure, but I have not found another bike with this tight of a belt. I am sure I haven't checked them all but I have checked a lot. When I bought my bike in 07 this was one of the first things I noticed and changed. I am not a Tech, nor am I smarter than the Factory engineers, but I do have an engineering back ground that tells me it was too tight.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have no doubt there are over tight / loose belts out there, I assume due to the "Home do it your selfer" who has a crack at adjusting it and does not have a tension tool.

I have had my bike serviced at 3 different Kawasaki dealerships in its life span ... all 3 used a tension tool to check the belt tension as part of the service or when I was replacing rear tires.

I will stick with the factory specs, I have 24K and 4 plus years on the belt and both pulleys.

The belt has been subjected to riding temps ranging from 25F to 117F, with extensive 2 up riding and pulling a trailer, both the belt and pulleys look near new, and I have had no issues and no squealing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
kawasaki spec are too tight bad for the belt bad for the bearings

sure kawasaki wants your belts super tight that how they make a living

just like they want over 400 dollars for a belt that you can pick up the same belt at charlie davison for 160.00

im so confused

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Check to make SURE the front pulley is not loose on the output shaft spline.
To do that, you MUST take the pulley off, check for spline wear on both pulley and shaft. They must fit very close with no wobble or slop when the pulley is on the shaft with no belt or nut.

This is a check that will not be a waste of time.

If everything is OK, then re-assemble with:

1. http://www.skf.com/group/products/maintenance-products/mechanical-tools-for-mounting-and-dismounting/bearing-pullers/bearing-puller-accessories/anti-fretting-agent/index.html Best choice.

2. Moly grease, second best choice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check to make SURE the front pulley is not loose on the output shaft spline.
To do that, you MUST take the pulley off, check for spline wear on both pulley and shaft. They must fit very close with no wobble or slop when the pulley is on the shaft with no belt or nut.

This is a check that will not be a waste of time.

If everything is OK, then re-assemble with:

1. http://www.skf.com/group/products/maintenance-products/mechanical-tools-for-mounting-and-dismounting/bearing-pullers/bearing-puller-accessories/anti-fretting-agent/index.html Best choice.

2. Moly grease, second best choice.

sfair: In your opinion should this check be added as part of a routine maintenance schedule even if the pulley is 'factory' and has never been taken off before?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In the vid , the belt is driffting to the right on Decel ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the vid , the belt is driffting to the right on Decel ?
Yes! Smaller gear higher rpm = more drag to the right on decel yes

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If I bought a new one, I would do it a couple of years down the road.
If I bought a used one, I would do it right away.
Belt drive machines have been known to chew the pulley and output shaft.
If the shaft gets torn up, one has a whole bunch of expensive trouble, yes indeedy!

If it is making noise down by the pulley, it is most likely too late.
An early warning sign might be belt wander...

·
Registered
24 Posts

I have been a mechanic for many years working on everything from lawn mowers to a LOT of experience working on semi-trucks. I can tell you with justified certainty that engineers do not know everything. What they think should be right isn't always the case once it gets out in the REAL world and I have seen REAL problems because of it. Don't try to agrue with them about it though because they will tell you how they know much more than you possible ever can even when you present them with FACTS. A belt that's loose but is not slipping is always better than one that is to tight. To tight is hard on the belt and VERY hard on the bearings that support the belt. The carbon-fiber belts that these drive belts are shrink when they heat up so a belt that is to tight to begin with will be REALLY to tight once it's operated a bit. I agree with a lot of those that have said Kawasaki's spec is to tight. That video showed a belt that was properly functioning to me.

The alignment marks are only for initial reference and not what you should set your finish alignment to. The belt in the vid moving to one side under power then the other under decel is the way it should be. At the rear wheel set the belt so the alignment marks are equal with about 1" to 1.25" deflection at the center point between the pully's (belt cold from not being run and bike elevated off the ground). Forget about the silly measure window in the belt guard. After this initial adjustment you then leave the left adjuster where it is at and adjust the right side one only so that when the wheel is rotated the belt will creep to one side of the rear pully then when rotated the opposite way it creeps to the other side of the pully. Re-check your belt tension to insure it stayed and you're good to go.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday I had remove my front pulley for inspection like sfair have suggest.
everything was tight on the shaft , the only thing I have remark is the tips on the shaft was a bit blueish ( like it was heated ) maybe it was make like that. And I have tight my belt a bit and It reduce a lot the belt side moving! my friend who is a Harley mechanic said : your belt is better tight ( but not too....) than loose the way you ride your bike with this 230mm tire . But I think belt tension is a tough subject or a big can of worm if you prefer ! sorry but my goal was not to start any thing but I have read so much on this subject and more I read more confuse I am!!! thank you all for your help !!

·
Registered
243 Posts
How do you like your battery bug?
I like it a lot. I have it center mounted for easy viewing. A quick glance from time to time = peace of mind. I’m not sure how reliable the “cranking life” feature works though. It has registered 34% from the day that I installed it and hasn’t changed; the bike was about a year old at the time. I guess I’ll find out when this battery ages a bit more. I heard that the company went out of business over some legal issue, not sure if that’s true but the website is no longer there.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Yesterday I had remove my front pulley for inspection like sfair have suggest.
everything was tight on the shaft , the only thing I have remark is the tips on the shaft was a bit blueish ( like it was heated ) maybe it was make like that. And I have tight my belt a bit and It reduce a lot the belt side moving! my friend who is a Harley mechanic said : your belt is better tight ( but not too....) than loose the way you ride your bike with this 230mm tire . But I think belt tension is a tough subject or a big can of worm if you prefer ! sorry but my goal was not to start any thing but I have read so much on this subject and more I read more confuse I am!!! thank you all for your help !!
You did not waste your time, because it is a slow death if that pulley becomes loose. Hoping you used one of the lubes suggested.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I like it a lot. I have it center mounted for easy viewing. A quick glance from time to time = peace of mind. I’m not sure how reliable the “cranking life” feature works though. It has registered 34% from the day that I installed it and hasn’t changed; the bike was about a year old at the time. I guess I’ll find out when this battery ages a bit more. I heard that the company went out of business over some legal issue, not sure if that’s true but the website is no longer there.
Mine started at about 48% when the battery was about 4yrs. old.
Is now down to 38% at 7yrs old.

What one might want to watch for is a sudden drop for no reason. That could mean battery failure is imminent.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You did not waste your time, because it is a slow death if that pulley becomes loose. Hoping you used one of the lubes suggested.
The only lube I found yesterday evening was some lubex-ep (high performance grease)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts