Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all . . .

I have a 2005 V2K, Hypercharger, and V&H Powershots. Bought the bike used with less than 4K on the clock. It also has a Dynatek fuel controller installed. When I bought the bike, the previous owner clued me in as to how to start the bike. Namely, when key is turned on, speedometer needle goes full scale and back to zero. During the time the speedo needle is making its journey, you MUST push the starter button and the bike will start just fine. If you wait until the speedo needle FINISHES its journey and is sitting on zero again and then hit the starter button, engine will crank but not start. :eek: Not a big problem, just have to pay attention and turn the key and hit starter button soon after . . . I have two or three seconds to hit the button. Just wondering if anyone knows if that's a normal thing? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is normal that the speedo needle moves. However, you should not have to push the starter during that time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's possibly that style fuel processor receives its initial power from the ECU during the "start-up" cycle. Once the engine starts, the power is from the rectifier. Try starting it after the speedo completes its sweep. I think it will start, but will take a few seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, tried it again just for giggles . . . had the seat off so I could see what was happening with the power to the FI controller. During the speedo needle sweep, I have a red light indicating power, but then it goes out after the needle gets back to zero. However, the controller does power up again after a couple of engine revs with the starter . . . but still no start. I've emailed Dynatek and they tell me that they haven't heard of that behavior before either, waiting for another response from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dynatek acknowledged that there is a "quirk" with this controller and they are working on an upgrade, but won't be ready for 6 - 8 months. In the meantime, I've discovered another "quirk" . . . rode about 30 miles the other day, stopped at the Post Office, when I went out to leave, she wouldn't start . . . just turning over but no fire. Sounded like the fuel pump wasn't priming. Waited for 10 or 15 minutes and tried again and it started right up. Kawasaki techs acknowledged this behavior and recommended I switch to a Power Commander, which I'm leaning toward doing . . . anybody have any recommends, likes or dislikes on the PC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had both Power Commander PC III and Cobra FI 2000r. I like both units. If you're going to dyno the bike for maximum fuel economy and performance, then I'd go with the PC III. It can be adjusted for different rpm's, allowing you to "add" or "subtract" fuel loads over the whole throttle range. The PC III will cost about $100 more than the Cobra unit, plus the cost of dyno testing. I've had real good luck with the Cobra unit on my V2k. The power and torque gain was decent, plus I still get 40 mpg. As for the Dynatek units, I've heard several riders complaining about "quirky" problems and failure. Another unit that's advertised on this site is the "Bully" processor. The reviews I've read on it seem to be very good. You can adjust it "on the fly" for various conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, cruznut . . . one other question: The PC website mentions an "ignition module" that goes with the PC . . . what does that do? Looks like it has leads that run to the coils, etc . . . do I need to buy it as well? I'm not looking for absolute max performance, just want it to run well with the correct gas/air mixture. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts