Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my gas gauge, even though i fill it up, doesn't register more then 3/4ths of a tank. not a huge deal, but when i hit E on the gas gauge at around 145-150 miles traveled, i would figure to have something left in the tank, and looking in, it seems as though i do, but the light goes on. is this normal? should i ignore it. with that light on, i am worried about testing it for too long. i fill it up and fill up is only around 3-3.5 gallons. with these scenarios in place i should have 2 gallons left, and i get approx 43 mpg (i do drive hard). is it ok to ignore the light?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmmmm....

The gas gauges are notoriously "off" on the 900's. I have never heard of this problem with reading less than full when filled up though.

Usually 900 owners do report that there is still lots of gas left in the tank when it shows empty, but not that it only reads 3/4 full when it is filled right up.

Mine does a few minutes to register full after filling.

It sounds like a bent float maybe?

If you want to fix the gas gauge issue regarding it reading empty when you still have gas left, there is a sticky in the 900 forum at the top explaining how to do this.

It involves wiring in a 260 to 270 ohm resistor (very easy to do) and takes less than 5 minutes, This does not affect your low fuel light as that is separate.

I did the resistor mod and have been quite pleased with the now accurate fuel gauge. I don't believe this will in any way help with your first problem though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@CustomRider
Thanks for the quick reply. I am not worried about it only showing 3/4 of a tank when full. i am more worried about the light. i didn't know whether or not it was tied into the gauge or possibly a separate reading.

This brings up another question. if the fuel light is separate, as you state, then can i assume that the light is not trustworthy?

·
Registered
507 Posts
JayDLaw: You should have just over 1 gallon left when the light comes on if I recall correctly. This leaves 40 to 50 miles reserve.

The low fuel light is separate from the gauge itself. Many go by just the light since the fuel gauge as is from the factory shows empty when there is still a half a tank left. The resistor mod fixes this. It is a huge annoyance previous to the resistor mod.

I can't say if it has ever been permanently fixed by kawasaki on any later year models (maybe some newer 900 owners could chime in).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have an '09 and had gas gauge issues. Resistor mod fixed it right up. The light comes on when the gauge reads about 1/4-1/8th of a tank, which is in line to what is actually going on.

Prior to this, the gauge would read empty at about 120 miles but the light wouldn't come on for another 40-60.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine seemingly comes on with about 2 gallons left. That would be closer to 1/3rd of a tank left.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After almost a year, I have not noticed any major issues with my 2012. Fuel light comes on (gauge is in the red) and I fill up shortly after and put between 3.8 and 4.2 gallons in. I figure with the 5.3 tank when light comes on I have about a gallon left, same as others have said.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the same issue. I tried doing the resistor mod and didn't work. Now I just reset my trip and when I get close to 200 miles I fill up. I've learned to ignore the light.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Just to confirm, the light and fuel gauge are separate from one another. For example, if you do the resistor mod, it will affect your gauge, but it will not affect the point (milage-wise)that your low fuel light comes on. While the resistor mod will correct gauge readings, if your light comes on with 1 gallon left before the mod, it will still come on with 1 gallon left after the mod.

I don't know why this problem was never put to bed after the first model year!

For all of the things kawi got right with the 900's, the fuel gauge is a source of frustration for most.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know that it is wrong or missed by Kaw. In my truck and car the fuel light comes on at about 1/8 of a tank. The manual for the 900 says the light will come on with 4.0l (1g) gas left in tank (gives me 40 + miles to get gas). When I see the light come on I start looking for a gas station, just like I do with my cages.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
just remember, everybody in the world has different size gallons, .... US gallon = 3.78 L, Cdn gallon = 4L , so my 5 gallon tank = 20L vs your 5,2 gallon tank...............

Its just a gauge, ride 200 miles or 300 kms and fill it, that's what trip meters are for.,

BTW, I have never had a bike from any manufacturer that has had a accurate gas gauge, nor do I expect to in the future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After almost a year, I have not noticed any major issues with my 2012. Fuel light comes on (gauge is in the red) and I fill up shortly after and put between 3.8 and 4.2 gallons in. I figure with the 5.3 tank when light comes on I have about a gallon left, same as others have said.
Ignoring the light sounds scary to me. i will try to push the mileage up each time before i fill up. maybe i will get to 200 miles, tbh its not that big of a deal, i use mainly for commuting and there's usually a gas station nearby.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Reset the trip every fill-up. When I hit 250k, I fill up. I rarely pay attention to the gauge. I have an 09, and it seems fairly accurate. These bikes have no reserve, so I think, Ma Kaw, in their infinite wisdom, built in a "reserve" by having the gauge read empty at the 1 gallon left mark. That being said, the gauge is a general calculation only....use the trip.

·
Registered
507 Posts
just remember, everybody in the world has different size gallons, .... US gallon = 3.78 L, Cdn gallon = 4L , so my 5 gallon tank = 20L vs your 5,2 gallon tank...............

Its just a gauge, ride 200 miles or 300 kms and fill it, that's what trip meters are for.,

BTW, I have never had a bike from any manufacturer that has had a accurate gas gauge, nor do I expect to in the future.
I don't believe that any instrument put there solely for the purpose of conveying feedback or information to the driver should be cosmetic. If they chose to put a gas gauge, in my opinion it should function. The same goes for any gauge. These should be accurate, or what is the point? I'm sure that he fuel gauge certainly wasn't put on my bike with the intent of making it look cooler.

Your car fuel gauge probably works. I would bet that the vast majority of us don't reset our trip meters when we get in our car. instead, we go by the fuel gauge. If my bike has a fuel gauge, I expect that it would work the very same.

My Maxim X had a low fuel warning light, but my Honda Nighthawk had a digital fuel gauge that was spot on. And that bike was from 1985! Why, 28 years later, can a world class powersports manufacturer not make a fuel gauge that works?

I understand that some bugs are usually present in first year models, but to not have this properly functioning in year 7 or 8 of the exact same model is bizarre to me. Especially when it is such a well known nuisance, and everyday folks on this very forum have "repaired' this annoyance.

I do agree that we could reset our trip meters, but why have a fuel gauge then?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My Vulcan and my Victory both have dirty lying fuel gauges. Once you figure out about how far you can go before you truly need to heed its warning, you can get by with almost completely ignoring it.

But hey, coming from a Shadow, you should be happy to have a fuel gauge at all!

Anyway, if its sticking at 3/4 full on the gauge, either the float in the tank hangs up at that level, or the mech in the head unit hangs up at that position. You can start replacing stuff, but for the hassle I'd just use the trip meter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Luciferiad,
This is true, the shadow did not have a fuel gauge, but it did have a petcock, so when the fuel was gone and the bike would stall, i could move the petcock to reserve and get an extra gallon.
That being said, the tank on the shadow was only 3.4 gallons. I reach that right around the time the fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jay we are not saying ignore the fuel light, but the gauge can be ignored, when that light comes on start looking for a gas station, You do have just about a gallon of gas when the light comes on. But why take a chance , just go fill her up, bet you could use a break anyways

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Judging from the amount of gas it takes when stop to fill up when the light comes on, I have about 1.8 gallons left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '13 900 custom and the gas gauge seems to be pretty accurate. I just filled up after about 200 miles and it took a little over 4 gallons... the light had just come on at the previous intersection. I am still in the break in period so I am getting really good gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts