Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a conversation with the tech people at Baron's a few days ago relative to their BAK and and the VN900. They stated that the EFI on the VN900 can be used without and additional fuel management on the 900 (with the BAK only) based on their tests. That the air flow sensor and ECU were able to adjust correctly to the increased flow without any problem.

It seems possible, but I just wonder. :confused:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
533 Posts
It has been mentioned more than once that with pipes OR an intake that the fuelpak isn't needed. It's when you combine the two that the processor becomes necessary. There is one poster on another forum who swears that even with the addition of both the processor isn't necessary. Personally, I don't put a whole lot of stock in that one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran my modified K&N without any fuel management for a couple of hundred miles. This should have similar flow to BAK or other aftermarket intakes. I checked the plugs and they were fine, no indication of running lean. The K&N alone made a very noticable difference in performance. I did put on a Cobra FI2000 later and have settings of 1 1 0. It made even more of difference in performance, but it also cost a couple of mpg lower on average. See link.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4088&highlight=new+stock+intake

·
Registered
941 Posts
I haven't done anything with my intake yet, I have Hard Krome pipes and a Fi2000, but my gas mileage sucks, new stock filter and plugs. But can barely get over 40 mpg. The PO put the stuff on. I have been running the default settings on the Fi2000. If I got rid of the Fi would it help my mpg? Or should I just do the Uni-foam trick and hope for the best?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If your F12000R is using the default settings (4 2 0), that could well be your problem MPG wise.

I'm considering either the Cobra or Techlusion units, but one thing about the Fi2000R that struck me as strange was the default settings seem very high, especially the one effecting the cruise state fuel delivery.

If you look at RS900C very helpful post above, he is using the Fi2000R with a setting of (1 1 0) which seems consistent with the settings Techlusions recommend with their unit. A settting of 4 2 0 would be really increasing the pulse width, and the green or left pot ( the one set to 4 ) is the one that controls the fuel delivery while crusing or at constant speed.

Setting your green, yellow and red pot to zero should be effectively the same as removing the Fi2000R without actually physically removing it. I.E., it shouldn't add any additional time/width to the injector pulse.

Since you don't have any intake modifications, the amount of extra fuel required should not be too much if any.

Hopefully some of the people who have been so helpful to me will see this post and comment or correct any information I have given, regardless of how well intended, that is incorrect.

·
Registered
941 Posts
What you are saying is making sense. Cuz my pipes are starting to get carbon build up at the tips. So maybe running 1-1-0 would help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
(Pssst.... hey Shiloh... I love the ride you have listed in your signature, but you MIGHT want to run a spell checker on that. Heh. :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm running my Fi2000R at 4-2-0 now that the weather has cooled. I ran 2-2-0 during the summer. With the 60ppi Unifoam filter and relocated air inlet it runs lousy if set any lower.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, It Sure Looks Strange

(Pssst.... hey Shiloh... I love the ride you have listed in your signature, but you MIGHT want to run a spell checker on that. Heh. :rolleyes: )

Yeah, it does look strange doesn't. :) And would I like to have a spul chequer cince I really could use too or moore.:) Once got a "F" on a essay, because the teacher said I misspelled my own name. Really don't think she liked me, but that ok, it was mutual.

Actually it's is correct. I name my bikes after horses typically. My Thruxton is named after a horse ridden by a Irish mercenary at the Battle of the Little Big Horn - Custers Last Stand, "Commanche". "Commanche" survived, the mercenary didn't.

"Traveller" was ther third and last name given to a gelding by his third (and last) owner, Robert E. Lee, who used the English spelling instead of the American spelling.

My long unanswered question is finally answered, yes, Signatures are Red (or is it Read?):D

So where can I get a spell checker for posts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lobotomy worked!

I think he is referring to "Vulvan" in your signature.

09 Vulvan 900 Custom - Traveller
That is even funnier.:D

I think I need to learn to read before a spell checker would help!:D

Since everyone has been kind enough to point and it took a few before I could figure it out, I will attempt to correct it. No guarantee I that I will be able to, but I will try!

:D:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bak

I am not the first one to take any techs advice right off the bat, but this may be something to point out. If selling you the intake did not make any noticable difference, would they not push a FI controller on you? A company that tells you that you do not have to buy extra parts may be someone to look at.

I do not know how close they are, but you can add intake mods to most cars and the computer will make all the changes for the extra air coming in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered

Well, after some consideration to the excellent information everyone on this forum has provided, I ordered the BAK and will use it alone for a short period of time, before adding a fuel management unit (Cobra or Techlusion).

I was planning to add a fuel unit anyway. The decision on BAk/Hypercharger boiled down to the Hypercharger looks better, but the BAK is thinner and would not stick out as far.

Thinner won.

Thanks for all the input!:)

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts