Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 vulcan voyager, with 27000km on it. I love the feel and the throttle response of the bike in the 3000-3500 rpm range. Is it bad for the engine/transmission to cruise in this range for long periods of time? in 3rd 4th 5th gear. I called Kawasaki customer support to ask them. A phone tech said, I could cruise at 4000rpm if I wanted to, just keep an eye on oil level ( it may use some). What do you guys think.Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I find that the bike cruises best at about 2800 RPMs which is near the height of the torque curve. I usually shift at 3500 RPMs. Peak HP is near 5000 RPMs so running between 3000 and 3500 RPMs will probably only lower you gas mileage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find that the bike cruises best at about 2800 RPMs which is near the height of the torque curve. I usually shift at 3500 RPMs. Peak HP is near 5000 RPMs so running between 3000 and 3500 RPMs will probably only lower you gas mileage.
+1

and some words to fill the quota

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
tach...we dont need no stinking tach....thats what the rev limiter is for !!!..... lmao

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a 2010 vulcan voyager, with 27000km on it. I love the feel and the throttle response of the bike in the 3000-3500 rpm range. Is it bad for the engine/transmission to cruise in this range for long periods of time? in 3rd 4th 5th gear. I called Kawasaki customer support to ask them. A phone tech said, I could cruise at 4000rpm if I wanted to, just keep an eye on oil level ( it may use some). What do you guys think.Thanks in advance for your opinion.
It may not hurt it but what's the point in doing it? The advantage of having a bike with a gob load of torque is so you don't have to run at higher RPMs to get power. I believe over the years you just may see a little decrease in longevity. But if you don't plan on keeping the bike all that long, what the heck, do what ya like. A long stroke motor like the 1700 (4 1/4") has a faster piston speed at the normal cruising RPM (2700 to 2800) than a Ninja at it's normal cruising speed. This was a topic in American Iron magazine some time back written by Donny Peterson. Peterson is an expert in Harley motors and the Vulcan 1700 motor is similar to the Harley as far as stroke length.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You must live somewhere where they don't have speed limits! :eek: 3000-3500 rpm in 4th 5th & 6th means your flyin' !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts