Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the opportunity to buy a 454 ltd doesn't run seat is ripped and all the lights have been broken. They want $500 what is a top dollar to keep me safe from spending tons to restore it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha it was more to fix up and let my sister learn on it and no then sell it

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hope they don't take the deal because it's a lot of work?

You didn't mention what year the 454 was but even if was the last year made model (1990) here is what you are faced with. You have a full blown tear down and rebuild from the frame up. Your parts can be hard to find and also expensive. The amount of work and cost can go up into the thousands or if you have the knack for it you can shoe string it but that usually transfers to the time category. Now when you are done, though the satisfaction level will be high, you will now own a bike that is not very high in demand and would probably in most cases be of interest basically to a collector. So unless this is the first bike of motorcycle collection I wouldn't get too involved. Now you may just want to patch it up just for fun,but you have no idea what is wrong with that engine or how much it may cost you. So it's really up to you how much you want to spend on a gamble. For 100 bucks you can at least part it out and make a few dollars on Ebay.

·
Registered
507 Posts
$50 and no cost to haul it away. Otherwise they can just piece it out.
The OP specified "keep me safe from spending tons to restore it." Seems like haul away fees should be significantly higher.:bulgy-eyes:

OP -- you're talking about a bike that's at least 25 years old, hasn't been maintained, has maybe been wrecked or scavenged for parts -- the punch list of "what this thing might need and how hard those things might be to get" is colossal. If you managed to restore it to Excellent (like, it goes to motorcycle shows and people ooh and ahh and it wins prizes) condition, it would be worth maybe a couple of grand if it had a clean title, which I'd bet it doesn't and will probably end up with a rebuilt title at best. Maybe 2000. Much more likely you end up with something worth $800 for hundreds of hours of work and more hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in parts. You could easily blow $800 on all new hoses, a new wiring harness, brake pads, clutch, fluids, title, registration, new plates, and one of those $12.95 (!) cans of touch-up paint, all of which you're almost certainly going to need. And you haven't even gotten to the lights or the upholstery yet. All that's assuming the crankcase and/or transmission haven't seized from all the water that has condensed in there over the years, and that the whole electrical system is, miraculously, functioning. (Yeah, yeah, I know they said, "It was running fine when parked," but they all say that. How the heck could you prove differently?)

Of course, if you're just looking for a hobby and you have lots of space, time, and dough to blow, have at it and enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I love the forum puts me in check on my ideas. Is it worth buying to part out or is that more work then it's worth. I appreciate the feed back

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is why I love the forum puts me in check on my ideas.
Consider it something like your older self jumping in a time machine to warn your younger self.

Now if I could just find a time machine, I could go back and do the same for myself. A few times........:grin:

Is it worth buying to part out or is that more work then it's worth. I appreciate the feed back
We may have poisoned the potential market with this thread ....

Seriously, it pretty much depends on the real condition of the parts and how much you like taking stuff apart, testing it, cleaning it, storing it, writing e-bay listings, answering e-bay questions, shipping the stuff off, dealing with returns and (occasionally irrational) complaints, etc.....all the usual business stuff, basically. Chances are good you'll end up with a lot of leftover parts that no one wants -- I don't think the 454 LTD is a particularly hot target for restorers, but I could be wrong -- I can't say I have my finger on the pulse of that market. Where are you in the country? Do you know other people who rebuild or restore motorcycles? If you just happened to know someone who just happened to be starting in on the restoration of a 454 LTD, you might be on to at least a little profit.

Without that, chances are really good by the time you pay your e-bay fees you could make more money per hour at WalMart. I'd make a somewhat educated guess that those guys you see doing it on e-bay have staff and warehouse space, and they're processing lots and lots of parts to get a living out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts