Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured the Internet to find THE deal on a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Black) -- bike that is best in my price range. After not finding much online, I went to a dealer in Indiana who offered me a brand new 09 VN900B for $6452 with a pair of saddlebags.

My question is, "Is this a good deal?" Should I OK the deal today?

Can't wait to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not sure on that being a good deal. I paid 6700 out the door in 09 for my custom se. In California. I would think you might be able to get him down just a tad. But im not sure of the price difference between the two models. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
agree it doesnt sound like a steal.... people are buying much bigger bikes new off the floor a couple years old for nearly that..... I would keep lookin.....

personally I would think Craig's list ought to have a deal or two somewhere in driving distance from you... a good condition used one someone put a lot of bling on and not many miles... ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in East Tn

And bought the same classic without any bags in November, and was out the door at 6200. Just sharing that! So with the bags doesnt sound bad to me, but wouldnt hurt trying to wrangle em down. Always is nice to have a brand new 1, and that way you know what it has been through!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think it's much of a deal. He's probably itching to get that 2009 out of his showroom. I bought my 2009 Custom last November... the dealer took $5600. I'd offer a price that's $100 lower than you're willing to pay and see how far the dealer comes down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If thats out the door price, then I would say heck yes. I just bought my 2009 900 classic for $5850 otd, BUT that was including my trade that they gave me $1000 for (needed $400 of work).... So actuall price I paid was $5899 minus my trade plus taxes and fees. They were firm at $5999 but dropped an extra 100 off price to make the deal...

That was one of two classic 09 900's at that dealership, the new bikes are a coming so get em while there hot, and cheap...

·
Registered
451 Posts
search on eBay for new VN900's, print a few ads, and use them to pressure the dealer. A few weeks ago VN900B's were under 6K. And don't worry much about model year. I don't believe they've changed anything but color schemes since '06, when the 900 series was introduced.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I saw something on here the other day that Kawasaki is giving FREE saddlebags on the 900 you may want to research that thread before you make the deal. The dealer(stealer) may not be giving you such a good deal. Just my $.02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!

After reading everyone's two cents, I decided on a black 09 Vulcan 900 Classic with 900 miles on it and some extra chrome pieces and saddle bags for $5200. The bike still has a warranty through July.

I felt this was a much more reasonable deal than the new 09 bike.

Thank you to everyone who responded!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
cool.... and you have $1200 plus for mods left over !
post a pic when you can !

After reading everyone's two cents, I decided on a black 09 Vulcan 900 Classic with 900 miles on it and some extra chrome pieces and saddle bags for $5200. The bike still has a warranty through July.

I felt this was a much more reasonable deal than the new 09 bike.

Thank you to everyone who responded!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another quick question, should I buy the Kawasaki extended warranty??
I purchased a 2007 900 Classic LT. and 27,000 later looks like the battery wont stay charged. Brand new battery and charged it to the letter and 2.5 hrs later at a red light it stalled and wouldn't start. called the Road side assistance and the jumped it. I will call the dealer Mon or Tue when I get back in town. I'll bet its something to do with the stator. I have the 5 yr warranty and it wont cost anything. normally at the dealer it will be 700-1000 dollars for that.

GET THE WARRANTY, is my advice. most time it will pay for itself on the first use.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Prices of motorcycles vary depending on where you are in the U.S. That dealer's price might not be the best deal if you're in the eastern part of the states, but probably not bad for the western U.S. I'd ask for that being the OTD price. But you probably got a far better deal on the slightly used black '09. Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another quick question, should I buy the Kawasaki extended warranty??
Yes, if the warranty is priced right, I would go for it.

I purchased mine from this dealer on ebay, so have others here. It's about the best price around for four years. His name is Ryan. He is a great guy and very hungry for business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-4-yr-extended-warranty-Gtpp-900cc-or-less-MC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58809a9d56QQitemZ380114738518QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3455wt_823

My two cents

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Warranties are a funny thing.... some people gotta have em... others take the risk. They are offered because they MAKE MONEY for the companies...obviously.. the average buyer does not get more value out of it than they pay for it by a long shot.

I look back over a long life of buying warranties on cars / phones / computers / tech toys / etc and have this observation... I NEVER got my overall money's worth and rarely had a thing break for a warrantieable reason. I stopped buying them a few years ago.... now if I have to occasionaly repair something on a car or a bike out of my pocket, I always think that the cost was far less than having bought extended warranties over those years.

Consider that factory issues are hugely likely to show up in the very early days.... and will be covered by the original (not extended) warranty

Consider that the companies / dealers will wrestle you to the mat about whether any repair is covered anyway... how many times have I read that here??? ' did you abuse it? do all the services?...'

Be sure you know what the 'extended" covers. Read the fine print.. I actually sat and read KAwi's in front of the sales guy.... and it is rididculous... covers very little and has huge exclusions... just a big argument waiting to happen.

Another thought.... each individual warranty begins to look like maybe a necessity when you consider it....but when you consider all of them you accumulate over a lifetime...... and how much in total you put out for all of them... you always lose. Mentally save up extended warranty monies against the rare event that one of your toys needs some work.

just my opinions of course....

<<< sitting back in my easy chair now to see what other's think. >>>

Annie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Always negotiate!!!

Remember Bro,

The Kawi manufacturer's warranty is just as negotiable in price as the bike itself! DO NOT accept the first quote the dealer gives you. I bought a 2 yr Kawi warranty for my 900 for $300... dealer's original offer was $900!!! And he tried to say that was after a discount!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts