Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - we have known since its intro in 2009 that the Voyager is a heater. Kawi has been fighting this ever since and making adjustments to the bike each year to try to cool it down a little. My 2011 is bearable - only makes me bitch about it in serious traffic in high heat - and then I'm generally bitching about the traffic anyhow . . . For 2012 they are adding an ugly fan near the back and moving things around a bit - This makes me wonder how much time and money the folks at Kawi have spent as their engineers work hard to justify thier salaries . . . When (and here is where the dumb question comes in) all they need to do is look here and on similar boards to find low cost "engineering" fixes to the problem.

How much would it cost Kawi to do the following to the bikes (Probably a lot less than it would cost us to do - they would be buying inbulk and working it into their production lines)

1) Install Thunder Air Kit standard or Re-do the air intake to match what the Thunder Air kit does
2) Wrap the exhaust pipes before installing the heat shields

These two alone seem to be two quick and easy fixes that greatly reduce the heat.

3) Tweak the exhaust a little more to make it less restrictive.
4) Re-Map the fuel system to match these changes . . .

I would imagine that these ready made fixes would have cost Kawi a whole lot less than having to do all the R&D on the next new fix - And what if this new "fix" isn't the end of the problem - what next? I don't know - it seems to me that the end users (us) have done the R&D for them - Why don't they use it? Or are all these posts extolling the benefits of these mods just a bunch of guys trying to justify dumping an extra grand on their alrady expensive machines . . .

Like I said - Dumb Question . . .:confused:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
OK - we have known since its intro in 2009 that the Voyager is a heater. Kawi has been fighting this ever since and making adjustments to the bike each year to try to cool it down a little. My 2011 is bearable - only makes me bitch about it in serious traffic in high heat - and then I'm generally bitching about the traffic anyhow . . . For 2012 they are adding an ugly fan near the back and moving things around a bit - This makes me wonder how much time and money the folks at Kawi have spent as their engineers work hard to justify thier salaries . . . When (and here is where the dumb question comes in) all they need to do is look here and on similar boards to find low cost "engineering" fixes to the problem.

How much would it cost Kawi to do the following to the bikes (Probably a lot less than it would cost us to do - they would be buying inbulk and working it into their production lines)

1) Install Thunder Air Kit standard or Re-do the air intake to match what the Thunder Air kit does
2) Wrap the exhaust pipes before installing the heat shields

These two alone seem to be two quick and easy fixes that greatly reduce the heat.

3) Tweak the exhaust a little more to make it less restrictive.
4) Re-Map the fuel system to match these changes . . .

I would imagine that these ready made fixes would have cost Kawi a whole lot less than having to do all the R&D on the next new fix - And what if this new "fix" isn't the end of the problem - what next? I don't know - it seems to me that the end users (us) have done the R&D for them - Why don't they use it? Or are all these posts extolling the benefits of these mods just a bunch of guys trying to justify dumping an extra grand on their alrady expensive machines . . .

Like I said - Dumb Question . . .:confused:
number 1 would probably not pass emission tests.

Number 2 can cause pipes to prematurely rot.

Number 3 and 4 will probably not pass EPA.

Kawaski also added a blower behind the radiator to keep that air from gettng on the rider.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
He's right, there would be emission problems and EPA problems as far as a factory production bike.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Aside from the EPA stuff, there's no money in the cure. Name one v-twin that would not benefit from an intake and fuel processor. There's not a single one. It's like asking why bikes don't come with more comfortable seats. What would the seat makers do? Why don't they come with better pipes? What would the huge pipe aftermarket do? Why do the grips suck? So Kuryakyn can get in on the fun. And so on and so forth...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really don't mind my Voyager heat, it a little hotter than my Warrior, but not unbearable. I guess Kaw considered that such a big bike was not for whiners when they design it...

sent from mobile device.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
---Outch---- lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lol

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AS I said - The heat is bearable on my 2011 - I figured that it was EPA emission related - which brings another dumb question - If these mods make the motor run cooler and the bike more efficeient (RACINRAY showed a 10-20% increase in fuel economy with his mods) Shouldn't that be figured into the EPA equation? If the limit is XX particles of bad stuff per measurement of exhaust - and with the mods the bike puts out XX + 5 of bad stuff - but the bike goes 15% further per gallon so puts out less exhaust per mile . . . I don't know - maybe I think too much - or not enough - Fuggedaboutit - I'm just gonna ride . ..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shouldn't that be figured into the EPA equation? If the limit is XX particles of bad stuff per measurement of exhaust - and with the mods the bike puts out XX + 5 of bad stuff - but the bike goes 15% further per gallon so puts out less exhaust per mile . . . I don't know -

Now just how would the .gov agency justify itself if it thought like that?!? Go RIDE brother. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
AS I said - The heat is bearable on my 2011 - I figured that it was EPA emission related - which brings another dumb question - If these mods make the motor run cooler and the bike more efficeient (RACINRAY showed a 10-20% increase in fuel economy with his mods) Shouldn't that be figured into the EPA equation? If the limit is XX particles of bad stuff per measurement of exhaust - and with the mods the bike puts out XX + 5 of bad stuff - but the bike goes 15% further per gallon so puts out less exhaust per mile . . . I don't know - maybe I think too much - or not enough - Fuggedaboutit - I'm just gonna ride . ..
If EPA thought that way then more diesel cars could enter the US market. Which will close the casket on domestic diesel trucks altogether.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
RACINRAYs results are not typical of big cruisers doing the big three mods from all the forums and articles I have read. Usually fuel economy is reduced because you are dumping more fuel to reduce the lean situation that is causing the excess heat.

Manufacturers tend to set vehicles as lean as they can which means less fuel used per each combustion cycle so less byproduct.

I had a full size truck back in 2000 that got 21 MPG, but every time you climbed a hill you had to downshift or listen to valve clatter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts