Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lady of the hosue found rodent "sign" all over the clean dishes yesterday, as well as in the silverware drawer. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled about it. I've never had to deal with this particular problem before (it's usually spiders), so I'm seeing if anyone has experience in this field.

Mickey needs to go, and fast. I know the basic protocol (bait, trap, dispose), but I'm willing to take a few tips from the members of my favorite forum.

Down with Chuck.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I saw a rat in our house a few years ago, and I knew I had to get rid of it QUICKLY or my wife would have to move 8 or 9 states away. I had just had major abdominal surgery and was in to state to drive or move around much, but priorities are priorites. 1 trip to Lowes, 1 trap, 1 tsp peanut butter, 15 minutes, and a plastic bag let me get rid of the problem in about an hour. I didn't tell my wife for about six months!

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Had a rodent problem several years ago. I had to use traps and poison to get them all. A neighbor behind me had been putting food scraps in a pile in their back yard and the rodents swarmed around it and eventually spread to several adjacent houses. The traps worked well for a while, maybe got 4 or 5 of them in the garage. They were camping out in the attic and after they figured out not to eat the bait on the traps I had to resort to poison for the few remaining in the attic. It wasn't difficult to know when one of them died. Just follow the smell. The last one was a good 8 lbs!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I definitely prefer the traps. Reason being, with the poison (which essentially causes them to bleed out internally and FAST), the theory is, the bleeding out will cause them to want to go outside to find water, but if they have a water source inside or don't make it out in time, then you've got a dead rodent rotting inside your walls. With a trap, you've got a way to 'take care of it'

The old style rat traps work great. Nowadays there are also ones that the rodent actually has to crawl INTO to get the food, which kills it and closes a door behind it. Makes it a bit harder for them to escape or only have a close call. (I had a mouse once that outsmarted us. Trap was always licked 'mostly' clean but he'd never actually touch the trip, and once in a while it'd go off, but he would not get caught in it. Finally got him in one of those enclosed traps). They also make a 'no kill' version if you'd prefer to just 'catch and release'

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I definitely prefer the traps. Reason being, with the poison (which essentially causes them to bleed out internally and FAST), the theory is, the bleeding out will cause them to want to go outside to find water, but if they have a water source inside or don't make it out in time, then you've got a dead rodent rotting inside your walls. With a trap, you've got a way to 'take care of it'

The old style rat traps work great. Nowadays there are also ones that the rodent actually has to crawl INTO to get the food, which kills it and closes a door behind it. Makes it a bit harder for them to escape or only have a close call. (I had a mouse once that outsmarted us. Trap was always licked 'mostly' clean but he'd never actually touch the trip, and once in a while it'd go off, but he would not get caught in it. Finally got him in one of those enclosed traps). They also make a 'no kill' version if you'd prefer to just 'catch and release'

Hmm, catch and release. Might be good for target practice.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They also make a 'no kill' version if you'd prefer to just 'catch and release'
I'm not squemish when it comes to dead things. I know he's just trying to live his simple life, but he ought'a thought about where he was squatting.

Victor old-school snap traps ($2 for 4 of 'em, gotta love time-tested designs), peanut butter, and one night it is. I was unsure whether or not there was an ancient chinese secret to the art.

To those of you who have had a major infestation, well played! I believe there's only one hanging around, but if the traps find two, at least they won't procreate anymore.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
them glue traps are fun. they get stuck in them and wrastle around and get stuck more. get a shovel and fling em out the door. then call pull while you launch them up over the nieghbors fence while your buddy blast em with a 12 gauge. mixen yor fun w/:beer: is always questionable tho..

or just leave the car running in the garage with the overhead door shut and the kitchen door open. smoke em out?.. bes you go out for a long walk while this goes down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Had a rodent problem several years ago. I had to use traps and poison to get them all. A neighbor behind me had been putting food scraps in a pile in their back yard and the rodents swarmed around it and eventually spread to several adjacent houses. The traps worked well for a while, maybe got 4 or 5 of them in the garage. They were camping out in the attic and after they figured out not to eat the bait on the traps I had to resort to poison for the few remaining in the attic. It wasn't difficult to know when one of them died. Just follow the smell. The last one was a good 8 lbs!
8 !!!!!! R u sure u didn't catch a cat? Never seen a 8 lb rat.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
8 !!!!!! R u sure u didn't catch a cat? Never seen a 8 lb rat.
gj,, never been to the big city, eh? 8lbs is a lil fella. have seen em big as small dogs. 20lb'rs feed off garbage and get bigger than katz!
ps. double Ott usually worx mor good'r.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm with ponch on the glue traps. I don't like seeing them suffer, so I put them out of their misery pretty quick. Just drop a couple of glue traps where you find their droppings...put peanut butter in the middle if you're really motivated...rinse and repeat.

I have pets, so I avoid the poison... Pets can also get into the regular traps. If the dog or cat gets into a glue trap....they'll never do it again, and no harm done ;)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the dog or cat gets into a glue trap....they'll never do it again, and no harm done ;)
you can get a shovel and jus toss em out the bak door. advise against the whole "pull" an launch over the fence thing. neighbors dont take kindly to pet debris fallin from the sky.. no matter how much you splain is martian matter.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A few years ago we moved into a new office building , it was in a wooded new development area . 6 months after we we opened the doors we started noticing some rather large signatures ( rat turds ) they had the pros come out and put poison out, anyway after a couple of weeks of really bad stench they ended up tearing the walls out to get to all the dead rats 100s of them. They all went to the areas in the walls where the water pipes were routed. The only thing left standing were brick and studs they had to replace all the interior walls and insulation... Bait and trap is the only way to go !!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought a electric zapper. put peanut butter in it and they go into the zapper and once they step on the two metal plates, completing the circuit, they are electrocuted. easy disposal, just open the hatch and they drop into the trash can. It catches one at a time and lights up once they are zapped so you know to empty it. it's a can't miss, peanut butter attracts them and once they go in they can't back out because it is a maze

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would not recommend poisoning because they eat it walk away and die somewhere else where you don't know where that is. the stench of a dead rodent might not be a good idea

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gee whiz! Didn't know my seriously off-topic, goofy question would gain so much attention! :p

Ponch, you're right about the duble awt. Fi'teen tirty-ate cal led bawls r hard 2 mes wit.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts